Re: CF card reader problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, May 11, 2008.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >I just got in a 2nd hand Sony DSLR A100 which uses Compact Flash cards. I
    >take a few pics and it seemed to work just fine, the camera can read the
    >files nearly instantly. But when I pop the card (2 GB) into my external
    >card reader the computer chokes on the file(s). It tells me wrong
    >parameter, sometimes it says I/O error. I've tried formatting the card in
    >the camera and the computer, no luck. I took the card to Walmart and put it
    >into their Kodak print machine and it read the files nearly instantly. So I
    >thought maybe it was just a bad reader so I bought a different reader. Back
    >at home, same results with 2nd reader. Since this stuff is all new to me I
    >figure it's probably user error, but so far I'm stumped. Any ideas?

    Roger

    Odds are it's a USB issue.
    I'll bet you are plugging your card reader into a front USB port.
    Try plugging it in to one of the USB sockets around the back of the PC.

    If the card reader works plugged in there then either get an extension cord
    and tape it to the top of your box.
    or
    Open the box and replace the cables from your motherboard USB header to the
    front USB sockets with better quality ones.
    This may involve soldering so the first option may suit better if you are
    not into such things.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, May 11, 2008

  2. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > PeeCee wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >>> I just got in a 2nd hand Sony DSLR A100 which uses Compact Flash cards.
    >>> I take a few pics and it seemed to work just fine, the camera can read
    >>> the files nearly instantly. But when I pop the card (2 GB) into my
    >>> external card reader the computer chokes on the file(s). It tells me
    >>> wrong parameter, sometimes it says I/O error. I've tried formatting the
    >>> card in the camera and the computer, no luck. I took the card to Walmart
    >>> and put it into their Kodak print machine and it read the files nearly
    >>> instantly. So I thought maybe it was just a bad reader so I bought a
    >>> different reader. Back at home, same results with 2nd reader. Since this
    >>> stuff is all new to me I figure it's probably user error, but so far I'm
    >>> stumped. Any ideas?

    >> Roger
    >>
    >> Odds are it's a USB issue.
    >> I'll bet you are plugging your card reader into a front USB port.
    >> Try plugging it in to one of the USB sockets around the back of the PC.
    >>
    >> If the card reader works plugged in there then either get an extension
    >> cord and tape it to the top of your box.
    >> or
    >> Open the box and replace the cables from your motherboard USB header to
    >> the front USB sockets with better quality ones.
    >> This may involve soldering so the first option may suit better if you are
    >> not into such things.

    > You hit the head on the nail. Plugged it into the back of the PC and
    > worked immediately. I may never have thought of that, thanks.
    >
    > P.S. I would have gotten back to you sooner but the same night I posted
    > that message, Verizon DSL went tits up and I just now got back online.

    Your'e welcome.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, May 13, 2008