Re: Cell phone question - Blackberry

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Sep 25, 2008.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-09-24, Sarah Houston <> wrote:
    > I'm asking this here because I don't know of any cell phone group, and
    > figure you all might know anyway, and besides this is about memory.
    >
    > My contract was up with Qwest so we went over to T-Mobile again and got
    > a Blackberry 8100 Red Pearl. ( very pretty! )
    >
    > My first Blackberry.
    >
    > Needless to say, the manuals are lacking.

    [...]

    I've never used a Blackberry, but most electronic gadgets these days seem
    to come with the manuals as .pdf files on a CD.

    If that doesn't help, try going to
    <http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrypearl/index.shtml> and navigating to
    the appropriate 'Country' pages for your model - you should find
    'documentation' somewhere under 'support'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 25, 2008

  2. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-09-25, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> Sarah Houston

    >>> Needless to say, the manuals are lacking.

    >> [...]
    >>
    >> I've never used a Blackberry, but most electronic gadgets these days
    >> seem to come with the manuals as .pdf files on a CD.

    > I interpreted her to mean that the blackberry docs on the SIM were
    > inadequate to address her question about the specifics of the memory in
    > the SIM.

    [...]

    That's not surprising; the SIM is provided by the service provider.
    Although basic mobile phones do often rely on the SIM card to store a
    (very limited) 'phonebook', any other memory funtion a handset provides
    will be specific to that particular handset model and nothing to do with
    the SIM. Essentially, the SIM card serves merely to identify the handset
    to the service provider's system. It doesn't supply any 'features' to the
    handset.

    'Smartphones' such as the Blackberry models (and many less ambitious
    handsets) seem to have both built-in memory and some provision for
    removable memory - often in the form of an SD card or micro-SD card. I
    would be surprised if the Blackberry manuals don't adequately describe how
    to use the thing's features - but if a user gets stuck, the first place to
    go would probably be the telephone service provider, followed by the
    Blackberry web site to look for 'support'. (Some service providers provide
    handsets which have been 'customised' so that the menus and features
    accessible aren't necessarily precisely the same as those intended by the
    maker of the handset).

    I think the OP is also confused by the distinction between the SIM card
    and the micro-SD memory card; both are very small and delicate, but they
    are not interchangeable with each other.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 25, 2008