Re: Cell phone question - Blackberry

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Sep 24, 2008.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:22:54 -0500, Sarah Houston
    <> wrote:

    >I'm asking this here because I don't know of any cell phone group, and
    >figure you all might know anyway, and besides this is about memory.
    >
    >My contract was up with Qwest so we went over to T-Mobile again and got
    >a Blackberry 8100 Red Pearl. ( very pretty! )
    >
    >My first Blackberry.
    >
    >Needless to say, the manuals are lacking.
    >
    >Ok, I put the SIM card in that comes with it. ( they call it a SIM card
    >but I thought SIM meant Single Inline Module and this is a flat chip
    >pack ).

    SIM for cell phones - GSM at least, is a Subscriber Identity Module.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_Identity_Module
    It stores things such as your phonebook entries, and is also your
    "account" - if you take that SIM into another phone, it then becomes
    your phone.

    >Then the battery, charged it, and have been using it for the cell phone
    >part. Very nice.
    >
    >But I want to store some MP3's in there as ringtones now.
    >
    >They have some info at
    >http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm23321.htm#view
    >
    >It appears that this "SIM" they give you, IS the memory chip, but they
    >don't say how much memory it holds, nor do I see a way to find out,
    >though they DO have a way to see how much space the stuff stored in
    >there is using.

    No, it's not. You can use the limited built in memory on the phone, or
    purchase a micro SD card...

    >It's a TM9035 SIM that they give you.
    >
    >Now when they say that you can add memory, is it this card that's the
    >same as the "Micro SD card" they talk about?

    That's the memory.

    >This is why I'm confused.

    Moving images from computer to memory card:
    http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm23321.htm#move5

    >I need to find out how much is in there, before even knowing if I need
    >more.

    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1053
    Memory 64 MB (built-in, flash shared memory)

    Evan Platt, Sep 24, 2008