Re: Cell phone battery question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ian field, Sep 9, 2010.

  1. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Muse Gruppes" <> wrote in message
    >I just got a new cell phone, LG 300 and it says "To get the most out of
    >your battery life, charge your phone for 5 hours before using it"
    >
    > So even though it's now after 2.5 hours it's fully charged, I need to
    > charge for 5 hours? Why is that?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    If its Lithium battery, 2.5h is probably the fast charge time and the
    charger then continues to deliver a "topping off" charge, that will be
    essential for the first time charge but less important from then on.

    Li battery charging is complex and risky if not done right - overcharged
    cells can explode with a lithium fire (which burns more fiercly if you chuck
    water on it!) your phone charger might even contain a small microcontroller
    to manage the battery in a very precise way - just give it the time the
    instructions tell you to so it can do its job.

    ian field, Sep 9, 2010

  2. ian field

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    On 9/9/2010 4:33 PM, ian field wrote:
    > "Muse Gruppes"<> wrote in message
    >> I just got a new cell phone, LG 300 and it says "To get the most out of
    >> your battery life, charge your phone for 5 hours before using it"
    >>
    >> So even though it's now after 2.5 hours it's fully charged, I need to
    >> charge for 5 hours? Why is that?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>

    > If its Lithium battery, 2.5h is probably the fast charge time and the
    > charger then continues to deliver a "topping off" charge, that will be
    > essential for the first time charge but less important from then on.
    >
    > Li battery charging is complex and risky if not done right - overcharged
    > cells can explode with a lithium fire (which burns more fiercly if you chuck
    > water on it!) your phone charger might even contain a small microcontroller
    > to manage the battery in a very precise way - just give it the time the
    > instructions tell you to so it can do its job.

    Thank you for your help, makes perfect sense.

    Muse Gruppes, Sep 9, 2010