Re: CD-R - Not so useful for archiving photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by WMAS 1960, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. WMAS 1960

    WMAS 1960 Guest

    From reading this thread so far I can't understand what the arguement against
    CD-Rs is. Then again I missed the first couple posts here.

    Personally I have no problem with HD but since they are mechanical I would
    think that they are not the best way to "Archive" your material for long
    periods of time. When not used regularly moving parts can seize up as
    lubricants stiffen dry up or collect or attract dust... I use CD-R for now as
    that is what my computer is equipped with. However I am conscious of the
    possibility that even they can fail. I did have one, once, where I put a label
    on wrong. When I tried to remove it it pulled the foil surface off of the CD.
    Fortunately it was during the process of originally making the disk so I was
    able to reburn it right away. Anyways it is my practice, knowing that CDs also
    can be vulnerable and delicate that I make multiple copies of every back up.
    When I finish taking pictures with my camera I upload the CF card to my
    computer and store all my pictures on 1-80gig Barracuda drive. Then, when I
    have enough to efficiently fill a good portion of a CD I burn a backup of the
    photos. I also burn a second identical copy. One copy gets saved at home in
    case of a crash, virus or accidental erasure or damaging of an original file.
    The second copy is kept off site in case of disaster, flood, tornado, fire or
    theft... If someone is that concerned make 4 copies and keep 2 at home and 2
    off site, or whatever. It would also be good practice to backup your files
    routinely even if you have already backed them up before. Maybe every couple
    years. Or, if your next computer system starts utilizing DVD-R than run new
    backup copies on the new format. Or, if there is a new format then do the same
    thing. CD-Rs are cheap enough that there is nothing wrong with making sure
    that all your backups are fresh.

    I am finding now, I have so many photos and I have revised my way of doing
    things a little, that things are getting a little dissorganized. It might not
    be a bad idea to reorganize my photo files a little and run some new backups.
    Another opportunity to assure that your files are safely preserved. Also, as I
    work with my photos and enhance or edit them I acquire new images in new sizes
    or that have been adjusted for composition, color, exposure... It wouldn't be
    a bad idea to update a backup of those images as well. In some cases it is hard
    to tell what has been backed up and what hasn't when dealing with my edited
    photos. Thus it might be adventageous to just backup those files routinely and
    regularly and date the backups so that I can locate the most recent copies.
    As I redo my backups I can simply file the new ones away and take the old ones
    and put them in another place. My advice would be to NEVER trash or discard an
    old backup copy because you might find that a newer backup is corrupted or
    damaged and that old copy might be OK. At least you won't have lost everything
    if you have to resort to an older backup. You never know. Also, use some
    common sense. Don't save your copies in harsh environments. Heat, Dampness,
    Bright LIght or near chemical fumes, vapors or exhaust. Keep your disks in
    cases or sleaves to protect from handling, dirt, dust... I keep all my backup
    copies in slim jewel cases or in a folder. The archived, off site, copies are
    in a file box and in the jewel cases. The working backups kept onsite are in a
    folder. Be careful of the material that the sleave is made of. I don't know
    what effect PVC or Acid in paper can have on a CD-R but if possible it might be
    adventageous to avoid some of those types of materials. Make sure your storage
    system is approved for storage of CDs or DVDs.

    WMAS 1960, Sep 3, 2003