Re: CD not found

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, May 24, 2010.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Jerome Robertson wrote:
    > I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD. I've tried this in three
    > computers so far and have gotten same results: No available disc or no
    > target found. And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I get:
    > Please insert a disc into Drive D:.
    >
    > And there is a disc in the drive. A blank CD.
    >
    > I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening. These are brand new
    > CDs, just bought them yesterday. I can put a CD in that has something
    > on it, and it runs just fine.

    What burner tool are you using - imgburn, cdburnerxp, nero ?

    You need a tool that knows how to convert an ISO file, into
    something suitable for burning the CD.

    If you're just trying to do "drag-n-drop" with WinXP IMAPI,
    that won't work. An ISO9660 needs to be parsed by the burning
    tool, as some bits become the boot code, and other bits
    are the file system.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAPI

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_authoring_software

    Paul
    Paul, May 24, 2010

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Jerome Robertson wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Jerome Robertson wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD. I've tried this in three
    >>> computers so far and have gotten same results: No available disc or
    >>> no target found. And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I
    >>> get:
    >>> Please insert a disc into Drive D:.
    >>>
    >>> And there is a disc in the drive. A blank CD.
    >>>
    >>> I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening. These are brand
    >>> new CDs, just bought them yesterday. I can put a CD in that has
    >>> something on it, and it runs just fine.

    >> What burner tool are you using - imgburn, cdburnerxp, nero ?
    >>
    >> You need a tool that knows how to convert an ISO file, into
    >> something suitable for burning the CD.
    >>
    >> If you're just trying to do "drag-n-drop" with WinXP IMAPI,
    >> that won't work. An ISO9660 needs to be parsed by the burning
    >> tool, as some bits become the boot code, and other bits
    >> are the file system.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAPI
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_authoring_software
    >>
    >> Paul

    > On the Windows computer, I've got cdburnerxp and isobuster. On the two
    > linux computers, one of them uses brasero, the other Kb3. Thanks for the
    > answer, but I don't think you're understanding what's happening. I know
    > not to drag-n-drop but even if I tried that, it wouldn't work because
    > according to the computer, there is no CD in the drive. I'm not even
    > getting started with any of the burner programs because they all say
    > that there is no CD in the drive. And also, all the computers say that
    > there is no CD in the drive. So it's not really a matter of me not
    > knowing how to burn a CD because I can't burn to something that the
    > computer says doesn't exist.

    I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a "limitations of Windows burning
    capabilities" type question.

    On the Windows machine, if you insert the media and read with the free
    Nero Infotool, on the media tab, does it say the disc is blank ? I
    have version 4 here, and this is up to version 5 now. The "Disc" tab
    allows you to insert media, and get a reading of it.

    http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_InfoTool_d120.html

    With the tool running, I inserted a blank CD. First, the Windows
    "what do you want to do" dialog showed up. Presumably as a result
    of the INSERTED response. And then the Infotool read the label
    on the disc.

    Type: Blank CD-R
    Manufacturer ID: Ritek
    Disc status: Empty

    Perhaps you could test with that, and see what kind of response you get.

    Paul
    Paul, May 24, 2010

  3. Paul

    Baron Guest

    Jerome Robertson Inscribed thus:

    > Paul wrote:
    >> Jerome Robertson wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to burn an ISO image to CD. I've tried this in three
    >>> computers so far and have gotten same results: No available disc or
    >>> no target found. And when I go to My Computer and click on 'Open' I
    >>> get: Please insert a disc into Drive D:.
    >>>
    >>> And there is a disc in the drive. A blank CD.
    >>>
    >>> I am quite at a loss as to why this is happening. These are brand
    >>> new
    >>> CDs, just bought them yesterday. I can put a CD in that has
    >>> something on it, and it runs just fine.

    >> What burner tool are you using - imgburn, cdburnerxp, nero ?
    >>
    >> You need a tool that knows how to convert an ISO file, into
    >> something suitable for burning the CD.
    >>
    >> If you're just trying to do "drag-n-drop" with WinXP IMAPI,
    >> that won't work. An ISO9660 needs to be parsed by the burning
    >> tool, as some bits become the boot code, and other bits
    >> are the file system.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAPI
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_authoring_software
    >>
    >> Paul

    > On the Windows computer, I've got cdburnerxp and isobuster. On the
    > two linux computers, one of them uses brasero, the other Kb3. Thanks
    > for the
    > answer, but I don't think you're understanding what's happening. I
    > know not to drag-n-drop but even if I tried that, it wouldn't work
    > because
    > according to the computer, there is no CD in the drive. I'm not even
    > getting started with any of the burner programs because they all say
    > that there is no CD in the drive. And also, all the computers say
    > that
    > there is no CD in the drive. So it's not really a matter of me not
    > knowing how to burn a CD because I can't burn to something that the
    > computer says doesn't exist.

    I don't know whether it helps but I use "OpenSuSE 11.1" KDE and KB3 to
    burn CD's. I do drag n drop the ISO onto the K3B icon, once K3B opens
    it then sits and waits for you to put an appropriate size disc into the
    drive. After setting it to verify and clicking on "Burn" away it goes.

    The obvious answer is that the pack of CD's are in some way defective.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, May 24, 2010
  4. Paul

    Baron Guest

    Jerome Robertson Inscribed thus:

    > Paul wrote:
    >> Jerome Robertson wrote:

    >>> On the Windows computer, I've got cdburnerxp and isobuster. On the
    >>> two linux computers, one of them uses brasero, the other Kb3. Thanks
    >>> for the answer, but I don't think you're understanding what's
    >>> happening. I know not to drag-n-drop but even if I tried that, it
    >>> wouldn't work because according to the computer, there is no CD in
    >>> the
    >>> drive. I'm not even getting started with any of the burner programs
    >>> because they all say that there is no CD in the drive. And also,
    >>> all
    >>> the computers say that there is no CD in the drive. So it's not
    >>> really a matter of me not knowing how to burn a CD because I can't
    >>> burn to something that the computer says doesn't exist.

    >> I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a "limitations of Windows
    >> burning capabilities" type question.
    >>
    >> On the Windows machine, if you insert the media and read with the
    >> free Nero Infotool, on the media tab, does it say the disc is blank ?
    >> I have version 4 here, and this is up to version 5 now. The "Disc"
    >> tab allows you to insert media, and get a reading of it.
    >>
    >> http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_InfoTool_d120.html
    >>
    >> With the tool running, I inserted a blank CD. First, the Windows
    >> "what do you want to do" dialog showed up. Presumably as a result
    >> of the INSERTED response. And then the Infotool read the label
    >> on the disc.
    >>
    >> Type: Blank CD-R
    >> Manufacturer ID: Ritek
    >> Disc status: Empty
    >>
    >> Perhaps you could test with that, and see what kind of response you
    >> get.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > I downloaded the infotool. It finds the drive, but when I insert a
    > CD,
    > I get: A disk with an unsupported disk type has been detected in the
    > drive.
    >

    > And every time I right click on the drive icon, I get 'please insert a
    > disk into Drive D.'

    Just a WAG... You're not trying to use DVD's in a CD writer...
    No thats too obvious. :)

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, May 24, 2010
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Jerome Robertson wrote:
    > Baron wrote:
    >> Jerome Robertson Inscribed thus:

    >>> I downloaded the infotool. It finds the drive, but when I insert a
    >>> CD,
    >>> I get: A disk with an unsupported disk type has been detected in the
    >>> drive.
    >>>

    >>> And every time I right click on the drive icon, I get 'please insert a
    >>> disk into Drive D.'

    >> Just a WAG... You're not trying to use DVD's in a CD writer...
    >> No thats too obvious. :)
    >>

    > No, using a CD-R in a DVD-ROM, Hitachi GDR8081N

    OK, using the "Drive" tab of Infotool right now, I can see "CD-R"
    as a supported feature on my drive. Is that still listed on yours ?

    http://majorgeeks.com/screenshots/n/neroinftool.gif

    Right now, my drive is connected via USB, but using Device Manager,
    it is still using drivers like this:

    cdrom.sys 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108) basically WinXP SP3 files
    imapi.sys
    redbook.sys
    storprop.dll

    I'm not really sure how those drivers would break down, but I can't
    see them being specific to a particular media tag.

    Next, I tried a copy of Nero CD-DVD Speed. (The name of the utility
    has changed, but the feature set is about the same.)

    http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_DiscSpeed_d118.html

    If has a Disc info tab, and on a CD-R it includes "ATIP".
    (Absolute Time In Pregroove lead-in). Some utilities seem
    to give more interpretation of the info here, than others.
    And DVDs seem to be quite different.

    Manufacturer Minutes
    97m15s17f 79:59.70
    / \ / \
    0000 - C0 00 90 00 61 0F 11 00 4F 3B 46 00 00 00 80 00
    0010 - 00 80 00 00 00 00 00 00

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_time_in_pregroove

    http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-33 (on how useful ATIP leadin is)

    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/39

    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/12824

    The reason for me suggesting yet another tool, is looking for
    differences between stuff that works, and stuff that doesn't work.

    Paul
    Paul, May 25, 2010
  6. Paul

    Baron Guest

    Jerome Robertson Inscribed thus:

    > Baron wrote:
    >> Jerome Robertson Inscribed thus:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_authoring_software

    >>> I downloaded the infotool. It finds the drive, but when I insert a
    >>> CD,
    >>> I get: A disk with an unsupported disk type has been detected in
    >>> the drive.
    >>>

    >>> And every time I right click on the drive icon, I get 'please insert
    >>> a disk into Drive D.'

    >> Just a WAG... You're not trying to use DVD's in a CD writer...
    >> No thats too obvious. :)
    >>

    > No, using a CD-R in a DVD-ROM, Hitachi GDR8081N

    Have you checked with Hitachi for a firmware update ?
    I seem to recollect seeing an update for Hitachi...
    It may help.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.