    limited when faced with real proplems involving conception. To
    summarize, those without certificates are good but they are very
    limited.

    Quarant, Jan 13, 2005

  2. Quarant

    PES Guest

    Quarant wrote:
    > The truth is that someone who has the experience and no paper will be
    > very good in carrying out regular daily configurations but he will be
    > limited when faced with real proplems involving conception. To
    > summarize, those without certificates are good but they are very
    > limited.

    I totally disagree. CCNA is an entry level cert. Most anyone with good
    test taking skills and a bit of Cisco router experience can get it.
    However, this is not necessarily indicative of anything other than the
    basic skill set it certifies. This means that the individual has basic
    knowledge of cisco router configuration. This doesn't preclude them
    from having an advanced level of knowledge, but it doesn't certify it.

    On the flip side, an engineer lacking Cisco certification is not
    certified to any level of proficiency with the products. But again,
    this doesn't preclude him from having an advanced knowledge.

    Our experience with all certifications is that they are something that
    people trying to get into the industry focus on more heavily than those
    who have been doing this stuff for years. People who are working in the
    industry for support or consulting may have other objectives than
    certifications. If you are working 50 or 60 hours a week supporting
    your company or clients, you are likely not to worry that much about the
    certs. If you have little to do, you may try to pick them up.

    In any case, you can learn from your studies, but IMHO I prefer the
    knowledge picked up by the engineer that is doing it 50 or 60 hours a
    week over the person reading the latest Sybex or Cisco Press book. If I
    use myself as an example, I was once a CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, VOIP,
    Security, CCIE Written. I now have only a CCNA. However, don't think I
    haven't gained a tremendous amount of knowledge since most of these
    expired. The only one that I had to re cert for specific requirements
    was my CCNA. When I need another job, or find financial incentives, I
    will re cert the rest. However until that point I'm not to concerned
    about the paper.

    --
    Paul Stewart

    PES, Jan 13, 2005