Re: Catalyst 3550 EMI and Serial Interface

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by The Oracle, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. The Oracle

    The Oracle Guest

    I have asked this same question to Cisco - whether they could develop a
    serial device to go in a GBIC slot on the front of the box. This would then
    make a very nice router/switch box for smallish office. They tell me they
    have no such plans - nor for the new 3700 series switches. The reason -
    they would have to port all of the serial device software common to routers
    onto the 3550 image. The number of devices that would be sold because of
    this addition would not justify the development cost. I must say, I agree
    with them too.

    The workaround would be to use a 3725 and add a 24 port switch module to it.
    You then get a switch that is also a WAN router - all in one box.

    Steve

    The Oracle, Jul 24, 2003