Re: Cat3500XL .vs. Cat2950 VLan problem

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by sPiDEr, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. sPiDEr

    sPiDEr Guest

    Hi Joachim,

    Multi-vlan and trunking are different.

    I do not have a 2950 box. But as stated in Cisco website .. only 2900XL
    series and 3500XL series support Multi-vlan ... so 2950XL should be able to
    support check with your vendor or upgrade the IOS.

    Or unless Cisco change the decision to support Multi-VLan on 2950

    cheers.

    sPiDEr, Jul 9, 2003

  2. sPiDEr

    Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:15:58 +0800, "sPiDEr"
    <spider@_bgp5.net_REMOVE_> wrote:

    >Hi Joachim,
    >
    >Multi-vlan and trunking are different.
    >
    >I do not have a 2950 box. But as stated in Cisco website .. only 2900XL
    >series and 3500XL series support Multi-vlan ... so 2950XL should be able to
    >support check with your vendor or upgrade the IOS.
    >
    >Or unless Cisco change the decision to support Multi-VLan on 2950

    The 2950 is a very different animal than a 2900. I believe Cisco
    dropped the multi-vlan support.

    -Chris

    , Jul 11, 2003

  3. sPiDEr

    Scott Carter Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:15:58 +0800, "sPiDEr"
    > <spider@_bgp5.net_REMOVE_> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Joachim,
    > >
    > >Multi-vlan and trunking are different.
    > >

    > The 2950 is a very different animal than a 2900. I believe Cisco
    > dropped the multi-vlan support.

    Correct - Multi-VLAN is gone, never to return (or so I am told).

    The only way to match the semantics of Multi-VLAN ports on a 2950 that I
    know of is if the host has an 802.1q capable NIC, then you declare the
    host port a trunk port and limit it (with switchport trunk allowed vlan
    x,y,z) to the VLANs you want in the Multi-VLAN.

    SC

    Scott Carter, Jul 14, 2003