RE: Career Path changing & MCSD results

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYnk=?=, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Hi EE,

    It is not your MCSD but the environment you are in. It will not help much with other certifications as long as you are in the same environment.

    However, if you are thinking of changing your environment, you might want to consider MCSD .Net unless you want to give up programming.

    If you do want to give up programming, then database could be the easiest switch. You might want to move on to Oracle but before you do that, give a thought to MCDBA.

    On the other hand, if you want to have a more thorough switch and consider server management, give MCSA a try. If it suits you move on to MCSE.

    If you really want to move away from your work station and had enough with your keyboard, then networking is worth a try. Try Cisco then.

    Hope this helps

    Bobby

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYnk=?=, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Hi Shaker,

    It is much easier to pass an exam with sample tests or practice tests but one still got to know the stuff. Personally I felt certification exams are more on testing how broad one's knowledge is on a particular subject than on how deep one's knowledge is on a particular topic within a particular subject.

    Given this scenario, whoever got through the exam would have known at least 75% of the subject content. The certified person knows at least 75% of the stuff might not necessary means that he or she is expert in the 75% of the stuff.

    Expertise comes with experiences. One needs to be in the field to be an expert. This bring us back to the 2 general groups of people going for certifications. The first group is those already in the field, working for sometime, having experience and wanted to get their skills certified. This group of people are generally more skillful and if their skillset does cover the subject in depth, they are the expert. The other group however is the entry-level professionals seeking to pursue an IT career. They might take certifications in a more academic way, learning the stuff first, get certified and then enter the work place. This group of people is fresh and inexperience and they need to sweat it out to gain the necessary experience.

    Therefore personally, being certified means you know your stuff but is not necessary an expert in the field. One needs much more than a certificate to be an expert.

    For myself, I take practice tests or sample tests to gauge my readiness for certification exams and to identify the area of my weakness. I guess in tertiary education, one is always tested before the final exam by their lecturers. If one does not do well in the tests prior to the final exam, very likely one will not do well in the actual final exam. The same applies to sample tests or practice tests for certification exams.

    hope this helps.

    Bobby

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYnk=?=, Jun 18, 2004