RE: Career Path changing & MCSD results

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYnk=?=, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Hi EE,

It is not your MCSD but the environment you are in. It will not help much with other certifications as long as you are in the same environment.

However, if you are thinking of changing your environment, you might want to consider MCSD .Net unless you want to give up programming.

If you do want to give up programming, then database could be the easiest switch. You might want to move on to Oracle but before you do that, give a thought to MCDBA.

On the other hand, if you want to have a more thorough switch and consider server management, give MCSA a try. If it suits you move on to MCSE.

If you really want to move away from your work station and had enough with your keyboard, then networking is worth a try. Try Cisco then.

Hope this helps

Bobby
    --
    You can only master as much as you are willing to master.

"shMCSD" wrote:

> Hi guys,
    > May be the current issue is more social than technical, but it is a case.
    > I'm EE holding MCSD (old track) since more than 2.5 yrs.
    > I have 6 yrs experience with SQL-Server, ASP, VID, html,...Web developer. first two yrs was VB and SQL.
    > I have build my experience based on Job requirements faced, and not any formal Course; Only read help and books when there is a need.
    >
    > Before I have got the Certification, I was gaining annual raise (25 - 50)% + bonus.
    > But since that day I have a steady constant rate + No bonus. (I convinced my self; it is due to Market down during last yrs.)
    >
    > I have been with one company since ~4.5 yrs. And the job does not evolve to more than using these Old technology (ASP, SQL,...). And the company is working.
    >
    > During last two yrs, I have tried to learn some .Net & C# but I did not have applied them in real life (There is no Job Requirements for them in current company). And even if I mentioned this in my CV for other companies for job application, I did not receive any response, simply I could not leave my current company. I can't quit (I'm paying over 70% for compound loans!!!)
    >
    > Between me and my self I gave up development with these technologies.
    >
    > For a while I have think that I should make a career change and advance, not based on Current experience.
    > I'm thinking with 3 choices starting with them from scratch, through formal courses and training:
    > - Oracle Administration and Development
    > - Sun & UNIX oriented
    > - CISCO networking
    >
    > Since All of the above certified people are more desired and highly paid.
    > I'm disappointed with My MCSD.
    >
    > Is that possible and which one will be more suitable.
    >
    > Regards

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYnk=?=, Jun 17, 2004
    1. Advertising

2. Hi Shaker,

It is much easier to pass an exam with sample tests or practice tests but one still got to know the stuff. Personally I felt certification exams are more on testing how broad one's knowledge is on a particular subject than on how deep one's knowledge is on a particular topic within a particular subject.

Given this scenario, whoever got through the exam would have known at least 75% of the subject content. The certified person knows at least 75% of the stuff might not necessary means that he or she is expert in the 75% of the stuff.

Expertise comes with experiences. One needs to be in the field to be an expert. This bring us back to the 2 general groups of people going for certifications. The first group is those already in the field, working for sometime, having experience and wanted to get their skills certified. This group of people are generally more skillful and if their skillset does cover the subject in depth, they are the expert. The other group however is the entry-level professionals seeking to pursue an IT career. They might take certifications in a more academic way, learning the stuff first, get certified and then enter the work place. This group of people is fresh and inexperience and they need to sweat it out to gain the necessary experience.

Therefore personally, being certified means you know your stuff but is not necessary an expert in the field. One needs much more than a certificate to be an expert.

For myself, I take practice tests or sample tests to gauge my readiness for certification exams and to identify the area of my weakness. I guess in tertiary education, one is always tested before the final exam by their lecturers. If one does not do well in the tests prior to the final exam, very likely one will not do well in the actual final exam. The same applies to sample tests or practice tests for certification exams.

hope this helps.

Bobby
    --
    You can only master as much as you are willing to master.

"Shaker" wrote:

> Hi Booby,
    > The problem is not with how much (you, me or him) got many Certifications or not.
    >
    > The big problem is coming out due to certifications them selves.
    > I remember very well when first time have tried to got my first MCP. I failed in it although I studied the MCSD training kit very well. Due to that, I thought that any one who can got a certification he should be a talent and expert. I respected any one who holding them.
    >
    > But after that I have tried to expand my knowledge and experience, and I figured out On Microsoft site that I should buy a sample test such as Measurup,..
    >
    > And then I became MCSD!!, without these sample exams I shouldn't be MCSD.
    >
    > So the problem is coming here, this is not only Microsoft problem, it is also Oracle, Cisco,.. with other vendor who sale the sample tests.
    >
    > I believe that I could got any certification from all. just by studying the sample tests.
    >
    > And this is the HELL; The type of certification methodology should be changed and reconfigured to get rid of any question and answer manner.
    >
    > I think that Microsoft and (others) should base a new manner for any one who should be certified; by taking a Case study Project with open time and open book, some thing like Graduation projects in universities. In a way that the candidate assumed to utilize all of exam purposes and his knowledge within that project.
    >
    > By this we can say that a certified is really certified.
    >
    > Or there should be a prohibition by law to prevent any vendor of sample exams!!!
    >
    > The good thing with ORACLE university is that they provide the candidate with a real
    > training after the courses and while the exams.
    >
    >
    >
    > "Bobby" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi EE,
    > >
    > > It is not your MCSD but the environment you are in. It will not help much with other certifications as long as you are in the same environment.
    > >
    > > However, if you are thinking of changing your environment, you might want to consider MCSD .Net unless you want to give up programming.
    > >
    > > If you do want to give up programming, then database could be the easiest switch. You might want to move on to Oracle but before you do that, give a thought to MCDBA.
    > >
    > > On the other hand, if you want to have a more thorough switch and consider server management, give MCSA a try. If it suits you move on to MCSE.
    > >
    > > If you really want to move away from your work station and had enough with your keyboard, then networking is worth a try. Try Cisco then.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps
    > >
    > > Bobby
    > > --
    > > You can only master as much as you are willing to master.
    > >
    > >
    > > "shMCSD" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi guys,
    > > > May be the current issue is more social than technical, but it is a case.
    > > > I'm EE holding MCSD (old track) since more than 2.5 yrs.
    > > > I have 6 yrs experience with SQL-Server, ASP, VID, html,...Web developer. first two yrs was VB and SQL.
    > > > I have build my experience based on Job requirements faced, and not any formal Course; Only read help and books when there is a need.
    > > >
    > > > Before I have got the Certification, I was gaining annual raise (25 - 50)% + bonus.
    > > > But since that day I have a steady constant rate + No bonus. (I convinced my self; it is due to Market down during last yrs.)
    > > >
    > > > I have been with one company since ~4.5 yrs. And the job does not evolve to more than using these Old technology (ASP, SQL,...). And the company is working.
    > > >
    > > > During last two yrs, I have tried to learn some .Net & C# but I did not have applied them in real life (There is no Job Requirements for them in current company). And even if I mentioned this in my CV for other companies for job application, I did not receive any response, simply I could not leave my current company. I can't quit (I'm paying over 70% for compound loans!!!)
    > > >
    > > > Between me and my self I gave up development with these technologies.
    > > >
    > > > For a while I have think that I should make a career change and advance, not based on Current experience.
    > > > I'm thinking with 3 choices starting with them from scratch, through formal courses and training:
    > > > - Oracle Administration and Development
    > > > - Sun & UNIX oriented
    > > > - CISCO networking
    > > >
    > > > Since All of the above certified people are more desired and highly paid.
    > > > I'm disappointed with My MCSD.
    > > >
    > > > Is that possible and which one will be more suitable.
    > > >
    > > > Regards

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYnk=?=, Jun 18, 2004
    1. Advertising