Re: Car Recalls And Computer Geeks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gavin Tunney, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Gavin Tunney

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:59:24 +1200, "E. Scrooge"
    < (remove eye)> wrote:

    >Interesting enough on Fair Go some cars that were damaged by a truck going
    >out of control after getting a puncture weren't covered by the trucking
    >outfits Insurance Company. The car drivers had 3rd party Insurance which
    >doesn't of course cover their own cars. After being hit by a truck which
    >was the cause of the damage to their cars, the 2 car drivers are stuffed
    >without it even being their fault - their cars were written off. Which
    >proves that you can even damage someone else's vehicle and get completely
    >away with it, just by claiming either a fault caused it or that you had some
    >kind of a health problem at the time.

    I think you'll find it's just the insurance company who managed to
    evade liability there, surely the truck owner would still be liable
    though a civil suit.

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Aug 13, 2003

  2. "Gavin Tunney" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:59:24 +1200, "E. Scrooge"
    > < (remove eye)> wrote:
    >
    > >Interesting enough on Fair Go some cars that were damaged by a truck

    going
    > >out of control after getting a puncture weren't covered by the trucking
    > >outfits Insurance Company. The car drivers had 3rd party Insurance which
    > >doesn't of course cover their own cars. After being hit by a truck which
    > >was the cause of the damage to their cars, the 2 car drivers are stuffed
    > >without it even being their fault - their cars were written off. Which
    > >proves that you can even damage someone else's vehicle and get completely
    > >away with it, just by claiming either a fault caused it or that you had

    some
    > >kind of a health problem at the time.

    > I think you'll find it's just the insurance company who managed to
    > evade liability there, surely the truck owner would still be liable
    > though a civil suit.

    Car drivers took truck owner to disputes tribunal and lost, as there was no
    negligence on the truck owners part.
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 14, 2003

  3. > I think you'll find it's just the insurance company who managed to
    > evade liability there, surely the truck owner would still be liable
    > though a civil suit.

    Nope, "unforeseen accident". No-one to blame, therefore no-one to take
    liability.

    It did hilite the perils of 3rd part insurance. I wonder if the insurance
    company spelt out the details as clearly as last nights' tv program did ??
    Robert Mathews, Aug 14, 2003
  4. Gavin Tunney

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Robert Mathews" <do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote in message
    > > I think you'll find it's just the insurance company who managed to
    > > evade liability there, surely the truck owner would still be liable
    > > though a civil suit.

    > Nope, "unforeseen accident". No-one to blame, therefore no-one to take
    > liability.
    >
    > It did hilite the perils of 3rd part insurance. I wonder if the insurance
    > company spelt out the details as clearly as last nights' tv program did ??

    If they had full Insurance cover, their Insurance companies wouldn't be
    paying out for an accident which wasn't their fault. The truck driver might
    not have been able to avoid it, but the the bottom line is that it was his
    truck which caused the accident. The truck might have got the puncture
    after hitting the cars, could be hard to tell at which point that the tyre
    was punctured.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Aug 14, 2003
  5. Gavin Tunney

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:29:12 +1200, "E. Scrooge"
    < (remove eye)> wrote:

    >"Robert Mathews" <do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote in message
    >> > I think you'll find it's just the insurance company who managed to
    >> > evade liability there, surely the truck owner would still be liable
    >> > though a civil suit.

    >> Nope, "unforeseen accident". No-one to blame, therefore no-one to take
    >> liability.
    >>
    >> It did hilite the perils of 3rd part insurance. I wonder if the insurance
    >> company spelt out the details as clearly as last nights' tv program did ??

    >If they had full Insurance cover, their Insurance companies wouldn't be
    >paying out for an accident which wasn't their fault. The truck driver might
    >not have been able to avoid it, but the the bottom line is that it was his
    >truck which caused the accident. The truck might have got the puncture
    >after hitting the cars, could be hard to tell at which point that the tyre
    >was punctured.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    Damn, didn't know that. Would have thought you'd be liable if your
    property was the cause of damage.

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Aug 15, 2003