Re: Can't Update AVG Free Version

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by arf, May 10, 2009.

  1. arf

    arf Guest

    On May 9, 12:09 am, "DemoDisk" <> wrote:
    > AVG warns me that the "internal virus database is out of date." At the
    > bottom of the AVG screen is this: "Internal Virus Database version is
    > 270.12.11/2089 and was released on 4/30/09 (9 days ago). Database update
    > is recommended."
    >
    > When I do check for updates, it says "Your AVG Free program already has
    > the latest updates installed and is fully up-to-date."
    >
    > Please tell me what's going on with this situation!
    >
    > My thanks to the helpdesk.
    > JPM

    AVG stopped all suport (including updates) for version 7.5 on April
    30, 2009. See the website here
    http://free.avg.com/help

    If you are like me, you're using the old version of AVG Free on
    computers running Windows 98 or ME.
    Unfortunately, it looks like the new version of AVG Free 8.5 only
    works on a system running Windows 7, Vista or XP. See here
    http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

    The hunt for an antivirus program for my antique computer is on.

    arf, May 10, 2009

  2. arf

    alan Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in message

    > "arf" <> wrote in message
    > On May 9, 12:09 am, "DemoDisk" <> wrote:
    >> AVG warns me that the "internal virus database is out of date." At the
    >> bottom of the AVG screen is this: "Internal Virus Database version is
    >> 270.12.11/2089 and was released on 4/30/09 (9 days ago). Database

    > update
    >> is recommended."
    >>
    >> When I do check for updates, it says "Your AVG Free program already

    > has
    >> the latest updates installed and is fully up-to-date."
    >>
    >> Please tell me what's going on with this situation!
    >>
    >> My thanks to the helpdesk.
    >> JPM

    > AVG stopped all suport (including updates) for version 7.5 on April
    > 30, 2009. See the website here
    > http://free.avg.com/help
    >
    > I thought I just updated it a few months ago! WTH...
    >

    > If you are like me, you're using the old version of AVG Free on
    > computers running Windows 98 or ME.
    > Unfortunately, it looks like the new version of AVG Free 8.5 only
    > works on a system running Windows 7, Vista or XP.
    >
    > Aaaaaaaaaaa!!
    >
    > The hunt for an antivirus program for my antique computer is on.
    >
    > My 2005 homebuilt could handle WinXP (I think), but I don't know
    > whether I can/should get it.
    >
    > Thanks everyone for your answers.

    Not sure, but version 8.0 *may* be ok for Windows 98 or ME. I'm running it
    on XP and it's still being updated every day.
    You can get the free version of 8.0 here: http://www.avg.com/93967.tpl-mcr1

    alan, May 10, 2009

  3. arf

    DAHstra

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Still not working

    I still can't get updates to work for Version 8.5. I'm using Vista Svc pack 1. I decided to go to :

    free . avg . com / download - update

    And install the updates manually, but the downloads from FREE.AVG.COM won't respond. The paid downloads resond just fine. Nice. Maybe it's a ploy to scare people into buying.

    --- update

    Vista hosed itself via its own updates. Hmmmph

    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    DAHstra, May 27, 2009