Re: Cant ping wireless network card on windows 2k3 after installing DC

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Ken Briscoe, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Ken Briscoe

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Cool" <> wrote in message
    > I have a simple ad-hoc wireless network.
    > PC1= windows 2003
    > PC2= Windows XP with ICS enabled
    >
    > I installed a clean copy of windows 2k3 and after that i couldnot ping the

    pc2 nor could pc2 ping pc1 nor was pc1 able to surf the internet through
    pc2. The other settings were ok. The icon was also displaying icon in
    taskbar that the connection is there with good signal. I then checked the
    workgroups for both computers.

    How are you pinging? By name or IP? If by name, then maybe your DNS nonsense
    is mucked up, and try pinging by IP. If you've already tried by IP, then
    check to make sure the computers are on the same subnet and have the same
    Default Gateway. Also, as JaR mentioned, make sure your NIC is compatible
    with your new 2003 install, and you have updated drivers.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Jul 16, 2004

  2. >-----Original Message-----
    >"Cool" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a simple ad-hoc wireless network.
    >> PC1= windows 2003
    >> PC2= Windows XP with ICS enabled
    >>
    >> I installed a clean copy of windows 2k3 and after that

    i couldnot ping the
    >pc2 nor could pc2 ping pc1 nor was pc1 able to surf the

    internet through
    >pc2. The other settings were ok. The icon was also

    displaying icon in
    >taskbar that the connection is there with good signal. I

    then checked the
    >workgroups for both computers.
    >
    >How are you pinging? By name or IP? If by name, then

    maybe your DNS nonsense
    >is mucked up, and try pinging by IP. If you've already

    tried by IP, then
    >check to make sure the computers are on the same subnet

    and have the same
    >Default Gateway. Also, as JaR mentioned, make sure your

    NIC is compatible
    >with your new 2003 install, and you have updated drivers.
    >
    >--

    I was going to say to check and make sure the XP machine
    is on... lol

    How easy is it to mistype a number in the IP and have it
    look almost exactly alike... Not that I *ahem* have done
    that...

    Keyboard Cowboy, Jul 16, 2004

  3. Ken Briscoe

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Keyboard Cowboy" <> wrote in
    message news:2e90801c46b70$b3622780$...

    > I was going to say to check and make sure the XP machine
    > is on... lol

    It is wise advice such as this that makes us all look up to you.

    > How easy is it to mistype a number in the IP and have it
    > look almost exactly alike... Not that I *ahem* have done
    > that...

    Um....*no*......I've never done that!

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Jul 16, 2004
  4. Re: Cant ping wireless network card on windows 2k3 after installin

    For Jar "1st; is the NIC on the ACL?" what u mean by that?

    For Bewolf wrote "automatic Ip Addressing" I checked the ipconfig and didnt find anything saying "automatice IP adressing, this is how to check?

    For everyone
    Im pinging by IP. The gateway is set to (192.168.0.55) on both pc's thats the ip of 2k3 pc. But i have also tried other combinations. The subnet is 255.255.255.0 for both PC's.

    I wil look for the updated drivers but as the windows 2k3 pc was able to use the card when in workgroup environment, I doubt that can be the prob. Even know the windows 2k3 pc is connected to internet through xp box using that wireless card.So the communication is their but the ping thing is blocked in a way.

    Does windows 2003 support ad-hoc wireless mode?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29vbA==?=, Jul 16, 2004
  5. Ken Briscoe

    JaR Guest

    Ken Briscoe wrote:
    > "Keyboard Cowboy" <> wrote in
    > message news:2e90801c46b70$b3622780$...
    >
    >>I was going to say to check and make sure the XP machine
    >>is on... lol

    > It is wise advice such as this that makes us all look up to you.
    >

    >>How easy is it to mistype a number in the IP and have it
    >>look almost exactly alike... Not that I *ahem* have done
    >>that...

    > Um....*no*......I've never done that!

    Er, right! Never. I've never spent two hours checking everthing I could
    think of to try to get a box to talk and then found out that I mis-typed
    the IP. Nope, never.

    My nose is itchy.

    JaR

    JaR, Jul 16, 2004
  6. Ken Briscoe

    Neil Guest

    Re: Cant ping wireless network card on windows 2k3 after installin

    "=?Utf-8?B?Q29vbA==?=" <> wrote in

    Copied from original post

    I have a simple ad-hoc wireless network.
    PC1= windows 2003
    PC2= Windows XP with ICS enabled

    ok, so the ICS is enabeld looking at other items in-line

    > For Jar "1st; is the NIC on the ACL?" what u mean by that?

    I think JaR meant HCL but dats ok

    > For Bewolf wrote "automatic Ip Addressing" I checked the ipconfig and
    > didnt find anything saying "automatice IP adressing, this is how to
    > check?

    you know for sure that APIPA is running when your IP addy is
    169.254.xxx.xxx but it's not so moving on...

    > For everyone
    > Im pinging by IP. The gateway is set to (192.168.0.55) on both pc's
    > thats the ip of 2k3 pc. But i have also tried other combinations. The
    > subnet is 255.255.255.0 for both PC's.

    SAY AGAIN?!?! you have ICS running on one of the machines and your defualt
    gateway is set to 192.168.0.schfifty-five? nope, if ICS is enabled (and
    this should only be used for workgroups) it will set the internal card for
    192.168.0.1 by default, S/M to 255.255.255.0 and then start acting as a
    really bad DHCP server. your D/G should be 192.168.0.1 becuase PC@ is
    acting as a router to the Internet. try taking ICS out of the mix and start
    with a few basics (ping #) after that. make sure you have address set
    statically and that no cached crap is hanging around.

    <schnipedydoda>

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 16, 2004
  7. Ken Briscoe

    Rick Guest

    Re: Cant ping wireless network card on windows 2k3 after installin

    You need to look at the DC policy for the domain. When you performed your
    dcpromo you also applied the default DC security setting that 2003 enforces.
    If it was working in workgroup mode then you problem is definitely a group
    policy issue.

    Rick

    Rick, Jul 16, 2004
  8. Ken Briscoe

    JaR Guest

    Neil wrote:

    > I think JaR meant HCL but dats ok

    Been talking to billyw too long. Of course I meant 'Ardware.

    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    'aR

    JaR, Jul 16, 2004
  9. Ken Briscoe

    Worm Guest

    Is the cable plugged into the wireless card? Might wanna check that first.
    (That's what i learned at MCSE school! *smug look, arms folded*)

    Worm, Jul 17, 2004
  10. Re: Cant ping wireless network card on windows 2k3 after installin

    I can change the settings to check but I had the things workings exactly with same settings in workgroup environment, I dont think that can have any effect. What happened after installing domain, i dont know.

    Worm, u said Cables for wireless card? if u mean that the cards a plugged in properly yes.

    Has anyone tried an ad-hoc wireless network with windows 2003 and windows xp?

    Are their any settings for domain that I should change to help the cause.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q29vbA==?=, Jul 17, 2004