Re: Can't login to XP Pro machine

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Solomon Kozanski, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. "BertS" <> wrote in message
    > I have a customer's machine that will not allow me to login. I get

    the login

    consider yourself lucky. on the other hand, are you sure the owner
    didn't simply forget he had a password on there? most peecee users are
    complete idiots, evidenced by their choice of system

    > prompt, click on the icon (two accounts, Administrator and one more

    that I
    > don't know what privileges it has). When I click on the account icon

    it starts
    > to login and then immediately logs out back to the login prompt.

    delete all the *.pwl files (damn wintendo's stupid filename extension
    dependence!) - windoze has the security of an airplane being flown by
    mohammed atta

    > I need to access the machine to remove some data before I do a

    system restore.

    > The drive is formatted to NTFS. I tried to do a recovery from the XP

    disk but

    ughhh... another iteration in the ever increasingly stupid, bugridden,
    nonstandard and dangerous microsoft "filesystems"

    > it says the password for Administrator is no good. There should be

    no
    > password on either that account or the other one.

    on the other hand, you should realize forthwith that the *real*
    administrator is a drooling autistic sitting in a bunker in redmond
    washington

    > My guess with the little information I have is that the SAM is

    somehow damaged.

    as is the rest of the "operating system"

    > A long time ago I used NTFS2DOS in a similar situation but I am not

    sure if
    > there is something similar for XP. I used it to access an NT4

    machine.

    > Dell suggested that the drive be sent to a company that does

    recovery but the
    > custmoer does not want to spend the money for that option.
    >
    > I could install the drive in a different machine running @in2K as

    the second
    > drive and try to read it that way. I could also have the customer

    purchase a
    > hard drive, install XP on that drive as the primary drive and try to

    read the
    > old drive after that.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a newer version of

    NTFS4DOS?
    > Somewhere in my vast junkyard I have ERD but finding it is a problem

    and I
    > don't even know if it works with SP. My problem is finding the CD.

    my suggestion would be to instruct your customer to dump DOS XP and
    either run linsux or grow a brain and buy a mac

    but wait, if they buy a mac, they won't need you anymore!

    > The OS is XP Pro recently patched with SP2.

    "recently patched".. haha. phrases like that keep folks like myself
    far far away from junk like wintendo
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Solomon Kozanski

    AG Guest

    Come on Solomon. Get real. Telling someone to switch to Linux is pretty
    much useless. I use Linux every day and have a machine running RH Linux
    sitting right next to me but I don't ever bother to tell a customer, or even
    a friend that if they would just run Linux all their troubles would go away.
    It just isn't true.
    Linux is a GREAT server OS. None better. But it takes more work to use
    than most Windoze users are willing, or able, to put in.
    Grandma or Grandpa is the most likely person to call for help with their
    computer. I've made more money from the senior set than anyone else and
    Linux just isn't ready for them to use.
    We all have to work in the real world. The world that Bill Gates runs. We
    have to be able to fix problems with Windows machines or we won't have jobs.

    AG

    AG, Sep 22, 2004

  3. "AG" <> wrote in message
    > Come on Solomon. Get real. Telling someone to switch to Linux is

    pretty
    > much useless. I use Linux every day and have a machine running RH

    Linux
    > sitting right next to me but I don't ever bother to tell a customer,

    or even
    > a friend that if they would just run Linux all their troubles would

    go away.
    > It just isn't true.
    > Linux is a GREAT server OS. None better. But it takes more work to

    use
    > than most Windoze users are willing, or able, to put in.
    > Grandma or Grandpa is the most likely person to call for help with

    their
    > computer. I've made more money from the senior set than anyone else

    and
    > Linux just isn't ready for them to use.
    > We all have to work in the real world. The world that Bill Gates

    runs. We
    > have to be able to fix problems with Windows machines or we won't

    have jobs.

    > AG

    and it goes without saying that you not once mentioned the versatile,
    extremely powerful and very user friendly macintosh - but then macs
    make "ayplus therteeffffried technithinth" unnecessary ;)
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 23, 2004
  4. Solomon Kozanski

    AG Guest

    > "AG" <> wrote in message
    > > Come on Solomon. Get real. Telling someone to switch to Linux is

    > pretty
    > > much useless. I use Linux every day and have a machine running RH

    > Linux
    > > sitting right next to me but I don't ever bother to tell a customer,

    > or even
    > > a friend that if they would just run Linux all their troubles would

    > go away.
    > > It just isn't true.
    > > Linux is a GREAT server OS. None better. But it takes more work to

    > use
    > > than most Windoze users are willing, or able, to put in.
    > > Grandma or Grandpa is the most likely person to call for help with

    > their
    > > computer. I've made more money from the senior set than anyone else

    > and
    > > Linux just isn't ready for them to use.
    > > We all have to work in the real world. The world that Bill Gates

    > runs. We
    > > have to be able to fix problems with Windows machines or we won't

    > have jobs.
    > >
    > > AG

    > and it goes without saying that you not once mentioned the versatile,
    > extremely powerful and very user friendly macintosh - but then macs
    > make "ayplus therteeffffried technithinth" unnecessary ;)
    > --
    > Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

    I've never been able to afford a Mac so I have no experience with them other
    than back in the days of OS7.
    Macintosh computers are expensive. For what a Mac costs I can build two or
    three computers and put Windoze on them. While software is available for
    them, when there are ten or so that will do the job in a Windoze environment
    there are 3 to none in the Mac environment.
    When I'm home I like to play games. It just isn't as easy on the Mac to
    find what I want as far as software. I like the idea that they are using a
    Unix base in OS10. That will make things easier but still not easy.
    I guess the main reason I don't use a Macintosh is the simple fact that I
    can build a Windows computer for less than half what a Macintosh costs.
    Also there is the fact that my customers all use Windoze computers. I have
    to be ready to support them and it's easier to do if I'm familiar with where
    things can and do go wrong with them.

    Lets be frank. Windows problems make money for me. I've never made more
    than $30 or so from a Mac, I sold an old one one time, and I've made tens of
    thousands of dollars from Windows computers. If it weren't for Windows
    computers many problems I wouldn't have but a part time job at the ISP that
    I work at. My Linux administration duties usually take only a few minutes a
    day, unless I have a project going. Most of my time, for which I get paid,
    is spent trouble shooting people's internet problems. Those are mostly
    Windoze problems.
    So, for me at least, as long as Windoze computers have problems, I'll have a
    job.
    AG
    AG, Sep 23, 2004
  5. "AG" <> wrote in message

    > "Solomon Kozanski" <> wrote in

    message
    > > "AG" <> wrote in message
    > > > Come on Solomon. Get real. Telling someone to switch to Linux

    is
    > > pretty
    > > > much useless. I use Linux every day and have a machine running

    RH
    > > Linux
    > > > sitting right next to me but I don't ever bother to tell a

    customer,
    > > or even
    > > > a friend that if they would just run Linux all their troubles

    would
    > > go away.
    > > > It just isn't true.
    > > > Linux is a GREAT server OS. None better. But it takes more

    work to
    > > use
    > > > than most Windoze users are willing, or able, to put in.
    > > > Grandma or Grandpa is the most likely person to call for help

    with
    > > their
    > > > computer. I've made more money from the senior set than anyone

    else
    > > and
    > > > Linux just isn't ready for them to use.
    > > > We all have to work in the real world. The world that Bill

    Gates
    > > runs. We
    > > > have to be able to fix problems with Windows machines or we

    won't
    > > have jobs.
    > > >
    > > > AG

    > > and it goes without saying that you not once mentioned the

    versatile,
    > > extremely powerful and very user friendly macintosh - but then

    macs
    > > make "ayplus therteeffffried technithinth" unnecessary ;)
    > > --
    > > Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

    > I've never been able to afford a Mac so I have no experience with

    them other
    > than back in the days of OS7.
    > Macintosh computers are expensive. For what a Mac costs I can build

    two or
    > three computers and put Windoze on them. While software is

    available for
    > them, when there are ten or so that will do the job in a Windoze

    environment
    > there are 3 to none in the Mac environment.

    uh, actually, thanks to virtualPC, PC software is a subset of
    macintosh software

    > When I'm home I like to play games. It just isn't as easy on the

    Mac to
    > find what I want as far as software. I like the idea that they are

    using a
    > Unix base in OS10. That will make things easier but still not easy.
    > I guess the main reason I don't use a Macintosh is the simple fact

    that I
    > can build a Windows computer for less than half what a Macintosh

    costs.
    > Also there is the fact that my customers all use Windoze computers.

    I have
    > to be ready to support them and it's easier to do if I'm familiar

    with where
    > things can and do go wrong with them.

    but macs do have a substantially lower total cost of ownership, as you
    detailed below

    > Lets be frank. Windows problems make money for me. I've never made

    more
    > than $30 or so from a Mac, I sold an old one one time, and I've made

    tens of
    > thousands of dollars from Windows computers. If it weren't for

    Windows
    > computers many problems I wouldn't have but a part time job at the

    ISP that
    > I work at. My Linux administration duties usually take only a few

    minutes a
    > day, unless I have a project going. Most of my time, for which I

    get paid,
    > is spent trouble shooting people's internet problems. Those are

    mostly
    > Windoze problems.
    > So, for me at least, as long as Windoze computers have problems,

    I'll have a
    > job.
    > AG

    finally, somebody with a sense of reality. you've beaten me at my own
    game.

    i commend you for your honesty. you have certainly earned my respect!
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 24, 2004

> [...]

    > Windows
    > > computers many problems I wouldn't have but a part time job at the

    > ISP that
    > > I work at. My Linux administration duties usually take only a few

    > minutes a
    > > day, unless I have a project going. Most of my time, for which I

    > get paid,
    > > is spent trouble shooting people's internet problems. Those are

    > mostly
    > > Windoze problems.
    > > So, for me at least, as long as Windoze computers have problems,

    > I'll have a
    > > job.
    > > AG

    > finally, somebody with a sense of reality. you've beaten me at my own
    > game.
    >
    > i commend you for your honesty. you have certainly earned my respect!

    Your own game... what a scmuck.... anybody in here who fixes PC's knows
    that their bread is buttered by Monkeysoft's inept swiss cheese software.
    Everytime they come out with a new product or a virus threat I see $$$$$.

    Why would anyone bother learning Windows server environment, when anybody
    who knows would go Linux.... Because that's where the money is... not for
    setting the
    junk up, but keeping it running....

    Just like an auto mechanic..... If you build it so well, that it doesn't
    break, no one would bother
    to learn how to fix them...

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>