RE: Can't get file or printer sharing to work

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?VmluYXkgUw==?=, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. Hi Rich,
    This is definitely a protocol issue. You need to install NETBIOS
    protocol. Doing this will resolve the issue. TO do the same, please folow
    these steps:
    1) Go to n/w connections in Control panel
    2) Right click your wireless or wired connection icon and click on properties.
    3) Under the general tab, please click on INSTALL button.
    4) Select Protocol and click ADD
    5) The select "HAVE DISK"
    6) THen put in the path c:\windows\inf and click OK
    7) THen, please select the NETBIOS compactible transport protocol
    8) Click OK and OK.
    9) Restart the computer and check.
    Regs,
    Vinay.S

    =?Utf-8?B?VmluYXkgUw==?=, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Thanks to all who responded! Have gotten closer to the goal. I'm able to
    share files both ways (i.e. laptop to main and main to laptop) now but the
    laptop still will not access the internet connection or the main printer.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmljaE1hcmlvbk9oaW8=?=, Dec 19, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VmluYXkgUw==?=

    Alan White Guest

    You need to "share" the printer on the machine that it's connected to.
    then when you add a printer, ensure you are adding a Network printer (not a
    local one) and then browse to the printer (be sure it's turned on) and click
    on it.
    it should work right away.

    Can either machine access the Internet, or just the laptop? I assume you
    are using DHCP in the router and the laptop is receiving an IP in the
    correct range.
    You can check by Start/run, type in cmd, enter and then type ipconfig
    if your IP is in the 192.168 etc range you should be OK, but if it starts
    with 169. you have an IP problem.

    if that's the case, instead of typing ipconfig type in ipconfig /release hit
    enter and then type in ipconfig /renew and enter
    good luck

    Alan White, Dec 22, 2004