re-can't delete files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DaveG, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. DaveG

    DaveG Guest

    I still can't delete the files in question.
    The folder location of them would be this-

    C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
    Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
    93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc

    I've tried the safe mode booting advice AND further looked at tweakXP
    site,the advice of which may not be relevant as the error message
    contains only information regarding the location "specify correct
    path" not "file in use by another program"

    I cannot re-name the files in question,there are 4 mp3's and the names
    are long,about 60 characters each.
    When I boot in safe mode I can't access the folder and files,that is
    to say,I don't know how.
    Any further advice please?

    From °Mike°

    "Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open.
    Close all open programs.
    Open TASKMGR.EXE from the Run command or by pressing
    CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
    Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe.
    Leave Task Manager open.
    the directory where the undeletable file is located in. At the
    command prompt type DEL <filename> where <filename>
    is the file you wish to delete.
    EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.
    Close Task Manager."

    From Richard-

    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1837.aspx
    Cannot Delete File Bug - Tweak
    For files that you want deleted permanently that are giving you the
    "cannot
    delete file... in use by another program" message, when they are NOT
    in use
    by another program:
    Let's restart the PC and hit F8 to reach the "Advanced Boot Options"
    menu.
    From this menu choose "Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt", let it boot and
    log in
    normally to a local administrator account. Once logged in change
    directories
    to the location of the file in question. Once here let's use the "del"
    command to delete the problem file.
    This method prevents the "explorer" shell from starting and "holding
    on" to
    the file."

    From Kendra Kay-

    "I found this useful:
    To correct this misbehaviour in Windows XP, remove the following
    registry
    key.
    Goto Start>>Run>>Type "regedit" goto
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5F
    E6850D
    C73E}\InProcServer32] - Delete this key
    This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to
    file
    property queries on these files.
    Kendra"

    Thanks again ;-)

    dg-2003
    DaveG, Dec 23, 2003

  2. DaveG

    Brian H¹© Guest

    DaveG said:

    > I still can't delete the files in question.
    > The folder location of them would be this-
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
    > Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
    > 93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc
    >
    > I've tried the safe mode booting advice AND further looked at tweakXP
    > site,the advice of which may not be relevant as the error message
    > contains only information regarding the location "specify correct
    > path" not "file in use by another program"
    >
    > I cannot re-name the files in question,there are 4 mp3's and the names
    > are long,about 60 characters each.
    > When I boot in safe mode I can't access the folder and files,that is
    > to say,I don't know how.
    > Any further advice please?

    Reboot to "command line only" and navigate to the folder using the 8.3 method.
    That's to say, in DOS the long file names are truncated to the first 6 letters
    followed by ~1
    So "C:\Program" Files would be C:\Progra~1
    The file "first song in the list.mp3" would be firsts~1.mp3

    Brian H¹©, Dec 23, 2003

  3. DaveG

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > DaveG said:
    >
    >> I still can't delete the files in question.
    >> The folder location of them would be this-
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
    >> Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
    >> 93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc
    >>
    >> I've tried the safe mode booting advice AND further looked at tweakXP
    >> site,the advice of which may not be relevant as the error message
    >> contains only information regarding the location "specify correct
    >> path" not "file in use by another program"
    >>
    >> I cannot re-name the files in question,there are 4 mp3's and the names
    >> are long,about 60 characters each.
    >> When I boot in safe mode I can't access the folder and files,that is
    >> to say,I don't know how.
    >> Any further advice please?

    > Reboot to "command line only" and navigate to the folder using the 8.3 method.
    > That's to say, in DOS the long file names are truncated to the first 6 letters
    > followed by ~1
    > So "C:\Program" Files would be C:\Progra~1

    Sorry, that should have read "C:\Program Files" would be C:\Progra~1

    Brian H¹©, Dec 23, 2003
  4. DaveG

    DaveG Guest

    --
    dg-2003

    " You think you're God Almighty, but you know what you are? You're a
    cheap, lousy, dirty, stinkin' mug! And I'm glad what I done to you, ya
    hear that? I'm glad what I done!"

    > Brian H¹© said:
    >
    > > DaveG said:
    > >
    > >> I still can't delete the files in question.
    > >> The folder location of them would be this-
    > >>
    > >> C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My

    Documents\My
    > >> Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
    > >> 93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc
    > >>
    > >> I've tried the safe mode booting advice AND further looked at

    tweakXP
    > >> site,the advice of which may not be relevant as the error message
    > >> contains only information regarding the location "specify correct
    > >> path" not "file in use by another program"
    > >>
    > >> I cannot re-name the files in question,there are 4 mp3's and the

    names
    > >> are long,about 60 characters each.
    > >> When I boot in safe mode I can't access the folder and files,that

    is
    > >> to say,I don't know how.
    > >> Any further advice please?

    > > Reboot to "command line only" and navigate to the folder using the

    8.3 method.
    > > That's to say, in DOS the long file names are truncated to the

    first 6 letters
    > > followed by ~1
    > > So "C:\Program" Files would be C:\Progra~1

    > Sorry, that should have read "C:\Program Files" would be C:\Progra~1
    >
    > > The file "first song in the list.mp3" would be firsts~1.mp3

    C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
    Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
    93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc

    So i got this above to work with AND a 60 character file name?
    Could I not delete the folder in the manner you describe?
    C:\Documents and Settings\DAVID **********\My Documents\My
    Music\MP3\Underworld
    Thanks.

    --

    dg-2003
    DaveG, Dec 24, 2003
  5. DaveG

    Brian H¹© Guest

    DaveG said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Brian H¹© said:

    >>> Reboot to "command line only" and navigate to the folder using the 8.3
    >>> method. That's to say, in DOS the long file names are truncated to the
    >>> first 6 letters followed by ~1
    >>> So "C:\Program" Files would be C:\Progra~1

    >> Sorry, that should have read "C:\Program Files" would be C:\Progra~1
    >>
    >>> The file "first song in the list.mp3" would be firsts~1.mp3

    > C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
    > Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
    > 93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc
    >
    > So i got this above to work with AND a 60 character file name?
    > Could I not delete the folder in the manner you describe?
    > C:\Documents and Settings\DAVID **********\My Documents\My
    > Music\MP3\Underworld
    > Thanks.

    If you are happy to just delete the folder and all it's contents, yes.
    So from a command prompt it would be
    del c:\docume~1\david~1\mydocu~\mymusi~1\mp3\underw~1
    or you can try the long file name to get to underworld as long as you use the
    double quotes
    del "C:\Documents and Settings\DAVID **********\My Documents\My
    Music\MP3\Underworld"
    Brian H¹©, Dec 24, 2003
  6. DaveG

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > DaveG said:
    >

    >> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sorry, that should have read "C:\Program Files" would be C:\Progra~1

    >> C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
    >> Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
    >> 93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc
    >>
    >> So i got this above to work with AND a 60 character file name?
    >> Could I not delete the folder in the manner you describe?
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\DAVID **********\My Documents\My
    >> Music\MP3\Underworld
    >> Thanks.

    > If you are happy to just delete the folder and all it's contents, yes.
    > So from a command prompt it would be
    > del c:\docume~1\david~1\mydocu~\mymusi~1\mp3\underw~1

    Oops, david~1 will need the letter represented by the first * to be placed
    between the d and the ~

    Brian H¹©, Dec 24, 2003