Re: Can't create a dialup connection on XP

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John Holmes, Oct 27, 2008.

  1. John Holmes

    John Holmes Guest

    durhambusdriver "contributed" in alt.computer:

    > I am using XP. I have tried to create a dial up connection but am
    > unable to do so.
    > I receive an error message saying I need to install Remote
    > Access Service, but I cannot do so. I know
    > how to create a dial-up connection manually, however, it
    > won't even let me do that. I have turned on all services
    > I can in the Manager, but I get a message
    > saying "Dependency service or group failed to start" when
    > I try to start Remote Access Auto Connection Manager. When
    > I try to start Remote Access Connection Manager I get a
    > message saying "Access Denied". Any suggestions?

    Log in as an admin, then do what you want.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Oct 27, 2008

  2. John Holmes

    Paul Guest

    durhambusdriver wrote:
    > I logged in as admin, but it still won't let me do it. I re-installed XP,
    > still can't do it.

    Take a look at this thread.

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1033409185

    "Hi Graham, Killrazor, Leah, and everyone.
    I wanted to let you know that my my dial-up connection problem has been fixed --but,
    not by any of the fixes posted on Microsoft's site. I'll list the steps used to fix
    my problem with the Remote Access Connection Manager service --which *was* due to
    a corrupted registry. But, I'm not sure if the same fix will work for you. Here's
    the path:

    Run: regedit
    Select folders in the folllowing order:
    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    -SYSTEM
    -Current Control Set
    -Services
    -RasMan
    -PPP
    -EAP
    -when you get to this point, you should see 4 folders (numbered 4, 13, 25, 26)
    -DELETE: folders 25 and 26

    Note: This fixed my problem immediately. And, when I rebooted, all of my dial-up
    settings were restored. I hope that this will work for you, too.

    You might want to back up the registry or make a restore point or whatever,
    before trying it... I looked at that key on my Win2K install, and it only
    has folders 4 and 13. There is no 25 and 26 on mine, for whatever that is
    worth. Maybe someone else with WinXP could comment on what is in the
    registry there.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 28, 2008