Re: Can't boot XP even in Safe Mode....Help Please!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Unk, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Unk

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:21:49 GMT, Don<> wrote:
    >Hi
    >I hosed my system trying to disable a hard disk drive
    >that my kid uses for storage. I couldn't disable it by
    >device manager and tried to load an erroneous driver and
    >then I could not boot the PC without a BSOD and "Stop" due
    >to atapi.sys corrupt. I don't want to lose my data and
    >level the drive. I can't get to Safe mode to do the
    >restore and the repair/reinstall overlay has failed. Any
    >help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Don
    >.

    Set the BIOS to to boot from the XP CD, it should detect the disk and give
    a brief message, during the boot up, if you wish to boot from the CD press
    any key. Do it.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    Unk

    Unk, Aug 14, 2003