    working machine, reinsert it, then try and boot from the floppy and see what
    happens.

    that would be the next thing I tried.

    me, Mar 24, 2005

  2. me

    AG Guest

    "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    news:A0p0e.2466$...

    > "me" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > load the emachine hard drive onto another computer as a slave

    > That I did
    >
    > --scan it for viruses--assuming it still has files or an os on it
    >
    > No real need to scan for viruses, since I only reformatted it and
    > successfully did what I'm now trying to do last Friday. Since Friday,

    it's
    > had AVG with current defs. Like I said, long story. When I had it in as
    > Slave, I was able to see files. When I try to boot from the HD, I get the
    > Windows screen with the fluffy clouds behind it, but that's as far as that
    > gets.
    >
    > --then format it from the working machine, reinsert it, then try and boot
    > from the floppy and see what happens.
    >
    > I might wind up doing that, but there is a problem pre-emptive to the hard
    > drive that needs to be fixed, first and formost. That'd be great if it
    > would boot to the HD, but it's a paying customer's computer, and it's

    going
    > to have to be bootable from the floppy and the CD drive before I'll

    consider
    > the job to be finished.
    >
    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > smackedass

    This will for 98 but not XP.
    Try putting the HD in another computer and installing Windows there. When
    it reboots the second time turn off the computer and let it detect hardware
    in the Emachine.

    That being said it could be a problem with the power supply. E Machines are
    famous for this. Sometimes the PS will mess up the RAM so you might have to
    replace that too.

    AG

    AG, Mar 24, 2005