Re: Canon's Desperation And False Advertising Attract The FTC!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ray, May 29, 2008.

  1. ray

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 07:31:06 -0400, Rita Berkowitz wrote:

    > WOW!! Leave it to Canon to stoop this low after getting trashed by
    > Nikon's D300 and D3. Well, Canon was in a decline before all the Mk III
    > focusing issues and years of low performance glass. But this is a new
    > low for Canon and hopefully the final act of desperation before going
    > under. No wonder we won't be seeing a 5D replacement this year. Sell
    > your L glass while it still holds a little value.
    >
    > <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?

    forum=1021&thread=28046254>

    > Rita

    You've nearly convinced me. I've been boycotting canon for years due to
    their abysmal lack of support for Linux. Now, I'll have to consider them
    after all.

    ray, May 29, 2008

  2. ray

    Jufi Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 May 2008 07:31:06 -0400, Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    >
    >> WOW!! Leave it to Canon to stoop this low after getting trashed by
    >> Nikon's D300 and D3. Well, Canon was in a decline before all the Mk III
    >> focusing issues and years of low performance glass. But this is a new
    >> low for Canon and hopefully the final act of desperation before going
    >> under. No wonder we won't be seeing a 5D replacement this year. Sell
    >> your L glass while it still holds a little value.
    >>
    >> <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?

    > forum=1021&thread=28046254>
    >>

    >> Rita

    > You've nearly convinced me. I've been boycotting canon for years due to
    > their abysmal lack of support for Linux. Now, I'll have to consider them
    > after all.

    If you consider Linux support more important than image quality, go for it.

    Jufi, May 29, 2008

  3. ray

    Klark Kent Guest

    In message news:yaz%j.711$, "Jufi"
    <> burned some brain cells writing:

    > If you consider Linux support more important than image quality, go for
    > it.

    Don't know any Linux disciples, do ya?

    Klark Kent, May 29, 2008
  4. ray

    Pete D Guest

    "Allen" <> wrote in message
    > Klark Kent wrote:
    >> In message news:yaz%j.711$, "Jufi"
    >> <> burned some brain cells writing:
    >>> If you consider Linux support more important than image quality, go for
    >>> it.

    >> Don't know any Linux disciples, do ya?

    > Who hooks their camera to a computer? I thought almost everyone used card
    > readers.
    > Allen

    Doesn't help if Linux doesn't recognise your files.

    Pete D, May 29, 2008
  5. ray

    Jufì Guest

    "Klark Kent" <`> wrote in message
    > In message news:yaz%j.711$, "Jufi"
    > <> burned some brain cells writing:
    >
    >> If you consider Linux support more important than image quality, go for
    >> it.

    > Don't know any Linux disciples, do ya?

    Yes, there's a growing sect where I work, and they insist that if we don't
    all move to some flavor of Penguin, the entire world, as we know it, is
    doomed.

    It's pretty funny to see the Mac vs PC holy wars played out all over again.
    Only the names have changed.

    Jufì, May 29, 2008
  6. ray

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 10:35:10 -0400, Jufi wrote:

    > "ray" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 29 May 2008 07:31:06 -0400, Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> WOW!! Leave it to Canon to stoop this low after getting trashed by
    >>> Nikon's D300 and D3. Well, Canon was in a decline before all the Mk
    >>> III focusing issues and years of low performance glass. But this is a
    >>> new low for Canon and hopefully the final act of desperation before
    >>> going under. No wonder we won't be seeing a 5D replacement this year.
    >>> Sell your L glass while it still holds a little value.
    >>>
    >>> <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?

    >> forum=1021&thread=28046254>
    >>>

    >>> Rita

    >> You've nearly convinced me. I've been boycotting canon for years due to
    >> their abysmal lack of support for Linux. Now, I'll have to consider
    >> them after all.

    > If you consider Linux support more important than image quality, go for
    > it.

    Right - nothing else in the world can take a decent picture!

    ray, May 30, 2008
  7. ray

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 22:46:10 +0000, Jufì wrote:

    > "Klark Kent" <`> wrote in message
    >> In message news:yaz%j.711$, "Jufi"
    >> <> burned some brain cells writing:
    >>
    >>> If you consider Linux support more important than image quality, go
    >>> for it.

    >> Don't know any Linux disciples, do ya?

    > Yes, there's a growing sect where I work, and they insist that if we
    > don't all move to some flavor of Penguin, the entire world, as we know
    > it, is doomed.
    >
    > It's pretty funny to see the Mac vs PC holy wars played out all over
    > again. Only the names have changed.

    Most of us don't give a rat's ass what you use. Linux is about CHOICE. And
    without it there is none.

    ray, May 30, 2008
  8. ray

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:21:38 +1000, Pete D wrote:

    > "Allen" <> wrote in message
    >> Klark Kent wrote:
    >>> In message news:yaz%j.711$, "Jufi"
    >>> <> burned some brain cells writing:
    >>>
    >>> Don't know any Linux disciples, do ya?

    >> Who hooks their camera to a computer? I thought almost everyone used
    >> card readers.
    >> Allen

    > Doesn't help if Linux doesn't recognise your files.

    Why wouldn't it? I've used several digital cameras with Linux. It's simply
    a case of plug it in or use a USB card reader. No driver installation
    required.

    ray, May 30, 2008
  9. ray wrote:
    []
    > Most of us don't give a rat's ass what you use. Linux is about
    > CHOICE. And without it there is none.

    So you are excluding FreeBSD as a choice? And the Mac OS?

    David

    David J Taylor, May 30, 2008
  10. ray

    Klark Kent Guest

    In message news:, Cynicor
    <> burned some brain cells writing:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Thu, 29 May 2008 22:46:10 +0000, Jufì wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Klark Kent" <`> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, there's a growing sect where I work, and they insist that if we
    >>> don't all move to some flavor of Penguin, the entire world, as we
    >>> know it, is doomed.
    >>>
    >>> It's pretty funny to see the Mac vs PC holy wars played out all over
    >>> again. Only the names have changed.

    >> Most of us don't give a rat's ass what you use. Linux is about CHOICE.
    >> And without it there is none.

    > Except for Windows or Mac or having your digital photos put directly on
    > a CD or stored online.
    >
    > Dr. Pepper is also about choice but it tastes like crap.

    Uh-oh. Looks like someone's about to get pelted with penguins...

    Klark Kent, May 30, 2008
  11. ray

    Klark Kent Guest

    In message news:LoV%j.120$, "David J
    Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    burned some brain cells writing:

    > ray wrote:
    > []
    >> Most of us don't give a rat's ass what you use. Linux is about
    >> CHOICE. And without it there is none.

    > So you are excluding FreeBSD as a choice? And the Mac OS?

    Do not confuse the True Believer with your heathen blasphemy!

    Klark Kent, May 30, 2008
  12. In rec.photo.digital ray <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:21:38 +1000, Pete D wrote:

    >> "Allen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Who hooks their camera to a computer? I thought almost everyone used
    >>> card readers.
    >>> Allen

    >> Doesn't help if Linux doesn't recognise your files.

    > Why wouldn't it? I've used several digital cameras with Linux. It's simply
    > a case of plug it in or use a USB card reader. No driver installation
    > required.

    Any sensibly designed modern digital camera will present itself as an
    external disc drive to any computer you plug it into. Since it
    actually treats its internal image memory on the memory
    card/stick/whatever as a virtual disc drive anyway, this is easily
    accomplished. The result is that it doesn't matter a damn what kind of
    computer operating system you plug it into, provided you do so via an
    external connection which is designed to accept external disc
    drives. Such as USB. The computer system will simply see an external
    disc drive being connected whose filestore becomes an integral part of
    the computer's filestore, capable of being copied by whatever file
    copying methods the computer supports.

    The much-bruited problems of filestore compatibility are largely scare
    stories put about by camera shop salesdroids, bolstered by a few
    paranoid camera makers who deliberately make it as difficult as
    possible for anyone else's software to access their cameras'
    filestores.

    Avoid the products of possessive paranoid camera makers and computer
    compatibility problems disappear.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, May 30, 2008
  13. Klark Kent wrote:
    > In message news:LoV%j.120$, "David J
    > Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    > burned some brain cells writing:
    >
    >> ray wrote:
    >> []
    >>> Most of us don't give a rat's ass what you use. Linux is about
    >>> CHOICE. And without it there is none.

    >> So you are excluding FreeBSD as a choice? And the Mac OS?

    > Do not confuse the True Believer with your heathen blasphemy!

    Big Grin!

    David

    David J Taylor, May 30, 2008
  14. ray

    Ken Hart Guest

    "Floyd L. Davidson" <> wrote in message
    > "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >>"Allen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Who hooks their camera to a computer? I thought almost everyone used
    >>> card
    >>> readers.
    >>> Allen

    >>Doesn't help if Linux doesn't recognise your files.

    > Equally true if Windows doesn't recognize your files.
    >
    > Of course, since the both will recognize your files,
    > there isn't much point in that claim, eh?
    >
    > --

    None of my pc's running various flavors of Windows, not a friend's mac will
    recognize the files from my Canon camera. Oh wait-- I shoot film; I don't
    need an operating system...

    Ken Hart, May 30, 2008
  15. ray

    Alan Browne Guest

    Allen wrote:

    > Who hooks their camera to a computer? I thought almost everyone used
    > card readers.
    > Allen

    Me. The transfer rate of USB 2.0 from camera to my WindowsXP machine is
    faster than the card reader on the WindowsXP machine. (As surprising as
    that is...)

    And my Mac (where I now do all my photo work) does not have a card reader).

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, May 31, 2008
  16. ray

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, May 31, 2008
  17. ray

    Alan Browne Guest

    Jufì wrote:

    > "Klark Kent" <`> wrote in message
    >> In message news:yaz%j.711$, "Jufi"
    >> <> burned some brain cells writing:
    >>
    >>> If you consider Linux support more important than image quality, go for
    >>> it.

    >> Don't know any Linux disciples, do ya?

    > Yes, there's a growing sect where I work, and they insist that if we
    > don't all move to some flavor of Penguin, the entire world, as we know
    > it, is doomed.
    >
    > It's pretty funny to see the Mac vs PC holy wars played out all over
    > again. Only the names have changed.

    Having installed and operated three flavours in 6 releases of penguins
    and having recently bought a Mac ... screw the penguins. Nowhere close
    to a Mac.

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, May 31, 2008