Re: Canon shows off prototype 30-inch 4K reference display,

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe Kotroczo, Apr 19, 2012.

  1. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 18/04/2012 23:00, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-04-18 03:12 , MummyChunk wrote:
    >> From ENG
    >>

    >> Canon To Exhibit Prototype of 30-Inch 4K Industrial Video Display
    >> Currently Under Development at NAB 2012

    > 30" 4K. You'd have to be sitting VERY close to see resolution break
    > down. But it's probably not the point of the display in any case.

    No, the point would be to be able to do quality control on a 4K signal
    without any downscaling in the signal chain introducing artefacts that
    might not be present in the source signal.

    Definitely not designed with the home user in mind.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Apr 19, 2012

  2. Joe Kotroczo

    Me Guest

    On 20/04/2012 1:37 a.m., Joe Kotroczo wrote:
    > On 18/04/2012 23:00, Alan Browne wrote:
    >> On 2012-04-18 03:12 , MummyChunk wrote:
    >>> From ENG
    >>>

    >>> Canon To Exhibit Prototype of 30-Inch 4K Industrial Video Display
    >>> Currently Under Development at NAB 2012

    >> 30" 4K. You'd have to be sitting VERY close to see resolution break
    >> down. But it's probably not the point of the display in any case.

    > No, the point would be to be able to do quality control on a 4K signal
    > without any downscaling in the signal chain introducing artefacts that
    > might not be present in the source signal.
    >
    > Definitely not designed with the home user in mind.

    Probably not. But if Canon has paid for a TFT panel maker to develop a
    panel with this spec, then unless there's a problem such as a high
    defect rate, the panel itself shouldn't cost more to produce than a 30"
    TV panel (But the price will be much higher "retail").
    That's assuming that Canon hasn't invested in plant to make their own
    panels - very unlikely IMO unless they have other bigger plans.
    My guess would be that the same (or very similar) panel will appear in
    monitors from other makers. If 4k "gets the jump" on QFHD, then perhaps
    that will become a standard - and it might - because at least for 4k,
    there's content immediately available to use that standard - as 4k video
    cameras are here (but there's no QFHD media - and I don't see any maker
    investing to make QFHD format video gear).
    It's still not high enough pixel density to be perfect for still
    photography. Samsung's panel in the new iPad is about the right
    resolution/density - but the screen is too small to be useful.
    Me, Apr 19, 2012