Re: Canon S50 blue fringing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Miro, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Miro

    Miro Guest

    > I have a sample of the full image and enlarged crop at:
    >
    > http://www.netspeed.com.au/mark/s50.html
    >
    > By comparion the third image on that page is simply inspiring for an
    > amateur photographer like myself...digital allowed me to bracket
    > exposure and shoot away just to get a handful of fantastic prints that
    > justified the $3-odd to print at A4.

    The image has a strong blue cast dominated by the sky. When the contrast of
    the tree was set against the sky the image sensor could not handle the
    difference in exposure. What I would be doing is trying out a colour
    correction filter and/or a polarising filter. B+W, as much as I think it is
    not useful, a UV-B filter might help, as it has a pink cast.

    The problem in the image is a limitation of the sensor. If you can reduce
    the blue cast you can probably get the tree back into black colours. No
    digital camera is perfect out of the box, just as no film is perfect either.
    You should seriously consider a correction method in front of the lens.
    Miro, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Miro

    Scooter Guest

    " Miro" <> wrote in message

    > > I have a sample of the full image and enlarged crop at:
    > >
    > > http://www.netspeed.com.au/mark/s50.html
    > >
    > > By comparion the third image on that page is simply inspiring for an
    > > amateur photographer like myself...digital allowed me to bracket
    > > exposure and shoot away just to get a handful of fantastic prints that
    > > justified the $3-odd to print at A4.

    > The image has a strong blue cast dominated by the sky. When the contrast

    of
    > the tree was set against the sky the image sensor could not handle the
    > difference in exposure. What I would be doing is trying out a colour
    > correction filter and/or a polarising filter. B+W, as much as I think it

    is
    > not useful, a UV-B filter might help, as it has a pink cast.
    >
    > The problem in the image is a limitation of the sensor. If you can reduce
    > the blue cast you can probably get the tree back into black colours. No
    > digital camera is perfect out of the box, just as no film is perfect

    either.
    > You should seriously consider a correction method in front of the lens.

    I also have an S50 and so far I've been bery happy with it BUT I really
    would like a greater level of optical zoom. However this, and the above
    suggetion to use filters, would require some type adaptor to allow lense
    attachments. Has anybody had any experience with such adaptors?
    Scooter, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Miro

    Cameron Guest

    Scooter,

    You can't put filters on the S40, S45, S50... maybe you could hold them in
    front of the lens but that would be simply ridiculous. Nor can you stick a
    telephoto or wide adapter on one.

    I have an S45 as a 'snap' camera and I fine the image quality excellent.
    Maybe the guys are getting a bit carried away with image quality from a
    $1200 compact?

    Cameron

    Cameron, Aug 6, 2003
  4. There is a filter adapter from Cokin to allow filters on digitals with
    a tripod mount... not ideal but it CAN be done...

    Cheers,
    Stuart

    Stuart Elflett, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Miro

    Miro Guest

    "Stuart Elflett" <stuart@(Don'tspamme)dataman.com.au> wrote in message
    > There is a filter adapter from Cokin to allow filters on digitals with
    > a tripod mount... not ideal but it CAN be done...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Stuart

    It begs the question .... why not the hotshoe as a mounting plate.
    Miro, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Miro

    Ken Guest

    " Miro" <> wrote:
    > "Stuart Elflett" <stuart@(Don'tspamme)dataman.com.au> wrote:

    > > There is a filter adapter from Cokin to allow filters on digitals with
    > > a tripod mount... not ideal but it CAN be done...

    > It begs the question .... why not the hotshoe as a mounting plate.

    The S50 doesn't have a hot-shoe.
    Ken, Aug 7, 2003
  7. Miro

    Miro Guest

    "Ken" <n e w s (at) k e n c h a n d l e r . c o m> wrote in message
    > " Miro" <> wrote:
    > > "Stuart Elflett" <stuart@(Don'tspamme)dataman.com.au> wrote:

    > > > There is a filter adapter from Cokin to allow filters on digitals with
    > > > a tripod mount... not ideal but it CAN be done...

    > > It begs the question .... why not the hotshoe as a mounting plate.

    > The S50 doesn't have a hot-shoe.

    Its really pushing the limits ..... of what I dont know.
    Miro, Aug 7, 2003