Re: Canon S45 exposure ok for snow/beach scenes?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roland Karlsson, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. "Photon" <> wrote in news:1058518776.476958
    @ecw.eurocontrol.be:

    > I'm considering a PowerShot S45. It has matrix metering but no specific
    > snow/beach mode. How good is it under these conditions? At least it has a
    > manual mode, which I could use with an external lightmeter...

    I am an oldie that has grown up with cameras when there were
    no automatic exposure and no matrix metering. The cameras
    had center weighted or spot metering. The method to accurately
    expose snow or bright sand was to estimate how many stops
    overexposure was OK to get the snow or sand in the correct
    exposure, maybe 2.5 stops for snow and 1.5 stops for sand
    and -1 stop for grass. Then, do the meassure and do the
    exposure compensation in your head.

    OK - matrix metering - ouch - never liked it. You don't know
    what it is doing. I admit that it is better with matrix
    metering if you don't do any compensation - so for most it
    is an advantage.

    Now - with digital cameras there is a big advantage - the
    histogram view. Unfortunately, your camera (S45) only have
    postview.

    But ... if you can stand taking test exposures,
    this is what I recommend. Takee - the picture - look at the
    postview. Then you have both a histogram and also you will
    have blinking areas where it is over- or underexposure.

    Then make any adjustments (if needed).

    One big disadvantage of your camera (and most consumer
    digitals) is that you cannot get less exposure than
    ISO 50 1/1500 F8.0. This is somewhat better than my
    G2 where you cannot get shorter times than 1/1000. In
    practice this means that the lightest areas will be
    overexposed. With the G2 I use a ND filter to compensate
    for this - but the S45 does not take any filters.
    The G3 has a built in ND filter for this purpose.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 18, 2003