Re: Canon S1 IS firmware update

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Georges Preddivous, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. T Smith <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update
    >
    > Firmware specification changes (Version 1.0.1.0)
    > Specification changes for the way images are displayed in Continuous
    > AF Mode.
    >
    > Improvements for the overexposure phenomenon that occurred during
    > daytime synchronized shooting.
    >
    > Etc Etc

    There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
    There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
    monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
    which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
    writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
    cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
    silver S1 shit brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

    Georges Preddivous, Jul 21, 2004

  2. On 21 Jul 2004 02:55:17 -0700, (Georges Preddivous)
    wrote:

    >T Smith <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update
    >>
    >> Firmware specification changes (Version 1.0.1.0)
    >> Specification changes for the way images are displayed in Continuous
    >> AF Mode.
    >>
    >> Improvements for the overexposure phenomenon that occurred during
    >> daytime synchronized shooting.
    >>
    >> Etc Etc

    >There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
    >There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
    >monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
    >which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
    >writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
    >cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
    >silver S1 shit brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

    I don't know what kind of idiot you are - but you sure get the cigar. The lens
    is the same as the one used in the Olympus 2100 UZ - or maybe you did not know
    that.

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

    nesredep egrob, Jul 21, 2004

    > > PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update
    > >
    > > Firmware specification changes (Version 1.0.1.0)
    > > Specification changes for the way images are displayed in Continuous
    > > AF Mode.
    > >
    > > Improvements for the overexposure phenomenon that occurred during
    > > daytime synchronized shooting.
    > >
    > > Etc Etc

    > There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
    > There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
    > monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
    > which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
    > writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
    > cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
    > silver S1 shit brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

    What a load of codswallop ! This guy does not know what he is talking about
    !

    Dennis Bradley, Jul 21, 2004
  4. Georges Preddivous

    Jack Mac Guest

    wrote:

    >T Smith <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update
    >>
    >> Firmware specification changes (Version 1.0.1.0)
    >> Specification changes for the way images are displayed in Continuous
    >> AF Mode.
    >>
    >> Improvements for the overexposure phenomenon that occurred during
    >> daytime synchronized shooting.
    >>
    >> Etc Etc

    >There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
    >There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
    >monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
    >which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
    >writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
    >cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
    >silver S1 shit brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

    OH NO.... another killfile for George!
    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac, Jul 21, 2004
  5. Dennis Bradley wrote:
    > "Georges Preddivous" <> wrote in message

    []
    > What a load of codswallop ! This guy does not know what he is
    > talking about !

    Best killfiled, I'm afraid!

    Cross-posting removed.

    David J Taylor, Jul 21, 2004
  6. Georges Preddivous

    Britney Guest

    1. Sigmas are great, but they are also US$2000.

    2. Canon 10Ds or 300Ds are way better value for money if you want a
    professional camera. Just ask....

    "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:cdlk1d$vik$...

    Britney, Jul 21, 2004
  7. "Britney" <> wrote in

    > Canon 10Ds or 300Ds are way better value for money if you want a
    > professional camera. Just ask....

    Actually, the 300D is considered a consumer DSLR, and the 10D (an excellent
    camera which I own) is considered a prosumer DSLR. The Canon pro DSLRs are
    the 1D and the 1Ds.

    Of course, the Sigma cameras are *ALL* crap.

    --
    "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

    -Richard Cockburn

    Richard Cockburn, Jul 21, 2004
  8. Georges Preddivous

    SleeperMan Guest

    Richard Cockburn typed:

    > "Britney" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Canon 10Ds or 300Ds are way better value for money if you want a
    >> professional camera. Just ask....
    >>

    > Actually, the 300D is considered a consumer DSLR, and the 10D (an
    > excellent camera which I own) is considered a prosumer DSLR. The
    > Canon pro DSLRs are the 1D and the 1Ds.
    >
    > Of course, the Sigma cameras are *ALL* crap.

    ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

    You got that right...

    SleeperMan, Jul 21, 2004
  9. Georges Preddivous

    wire 54 Guest

    > >> PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update
    > >>
    > >> Firmware specification changes (Version 1.0.1.0)
    > >> Specification changes for the way images are displayed in Continuous
    > >> AF Mode.
    > >>
    > >> Improvements for the overexposure phenomenon that occurred during
    > >> daytime synchronized shooting.
    > >>
    > >> Etc Etc

    > >There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
    > >There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
    > >monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
    > >which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
    > >writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
    > >cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
    > >silver S1 shit brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

    > OH NO.... another killfile for George!
    > Jack Mac

    Thought he had gone strangely quiet. He has missed out the fact that this
    amazing sensor actually
    has four layers according to most reviews ....the fourth being a layer of
    dust !!!!

    wire 54, Jul 21, 2004
  10. On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:28:09 +0100, "Dennis Bradley"
    <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >What a load of codswallop ! This guy does not know what he is talking about
    >!

    At least he has a point when he first mentions the lens problem
    before babbling sensor nonsense. The Canon Powershot S1 IS lens
    has conspicuous chromatic aberration at max zoom and open
    aperture. The results are worse than those of a 1 Megapixel
    camera.

    So you have to make sure that max zoom is not too important for
    you before you buy that camera.

    Canon has always built cheap second class lenses for cheap
    consumer products.

    The 12x, 1 : 2.8 throughout Leica zoom lens of the Panasonic
    Lumix DMC-FZx series sets the standard here.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jul 21, 2004
  11. Georges Preddivous wrote:

    > There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
    > There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
    > monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
    > which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
    > writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
    > cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
    > silver S1 shit brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

    This message brought to you by Georges Preddivous, Sales rep for
    Sigma aka Junk.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 21, 2004
  12. Georges Preddivous

    marlin Guest

    "Richard Cockburn" <> wrote in message
    > Actually, the 300D is considered a consumer DSLR, and the 10D (an

    excellent
    > camera which I own) is considered a prosumer DSLR. The Canon pro DSLRs are
    > the 1D and the 1Ds.

    Don't forget the 1D MkII (which I like more than the 1Ds). Also, the 10D is
    a backup cam for some pros.

    marlin, Jul 21, 2004
  13. Richard Cockburn wrote:

    > "Britney" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Canon 10Ds or 300Ds are way better value for money if you want a
    >>professional camera. Just ask....
    >>

    > Actually, the 300D is considered a consumer DSLR, and the 10D (an excellent
    > camera which I own) is considered a prosumer DSLR. The Canon pro DSLRs are
    > the 1D and the 1Ds.
    >
    > Of course, the Sigma cameras are *ALL* crap.

    So you walk into whatever trap is set - they aren't crap, they are an
    alternative which is reasonably well made and has as many positive
    points as negative ones. They are expensive, they have limitations, they
    have faults, but what they do properly, they (or at least the SD10) do
    extremely well. The only thing a Canon 300D can't do, which the Sigma
    SD10 can, is produce an image which resembles a three-shot or a scanning
    back picture on a small scale.

    There is no need whatsover for any camera to do this - even a Fine or
    Standard JPEG from many consumer cameras produces a perfectly good
    print, and the Canon image is as good as anyone will need for
    professional or enthusiast use (eve the 300D - it's just as good the 10D
    or D60 image).

    But if you happen to like working with that kind of image the
    Sigma/Foveon solution is a valid alternative, and not crap. And cohorts
    in agreement just display some inability to be objective.

    David

    David Kilpatrick, Jul 22, 2004
  14. Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:28:09 +0100, "Dennis Bradley"
    > <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>What a load of codswallop ! This guy does not know what he is talking about
    >>!

    > At least he has a point when he first mentions the lens problem
    > before babbling sensor nonsense. The Canon Powershot S1 IS lens
    > has conspicuous chromatic aberration at max zoom and open
    > aperture. The results are worse than those of a 1 Megapixel
    > camera.
    >
    > So you have to make sure that max zoom is not too important for
    > you before you buy that camera.
    >
    > Canon has always built cheap second class lenses for cheap
    > consumer products.
    >
    > The 12x, 1 : 2.8 throughout Leica zoom lens of the Panasonic
    > Lumix DMC-FZx series sets the standard here.

    Not if the test results I've just had are anything to go by. It is
    remarkable - a very fine lens - but it has, er, quite strong colour
    fringeing and the file quality from the Panasonic is not sufficiently
    good to allow a thorough examination of the potential of the lens.

    I am now waiting for a second opinion from Jonathan Eastland, author of
    a number of Leica books, who's got one on review at my request. The
    sample I have seen was bought by a neighbour in my recommendation, based
    on what he wanted to photograph (birdlife on moorland walks in Scotland)
    and no judgment of quality. but I've now seen some pix from it and it is
    not a match for the 28-200mm equivalent Minolta GT, though of course
    it is faster and has a longer range.

    David

    David Kilpatrick, Jul 22, 2004
  15. Georges Preddivous

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    There was when the Hubbell had a bad lens.

    Gymmy Bob, Jul 22, 2004
  16. Georges Preddivous

    Cretin Needs Guest

    "David Kilpatrick" <> wrote in message

    > Richard Cockburn wrote:
    >
    > > "Britney" <> wrote in
    > >

    > >>Canon 10Ds or 300Ds are way better value for money if you want a
    > >>professional camera. Just ask....
    > >>

    > > Actually, the 300D is considered a consumer DSLR, and the 10D (an

    excellent
    > > camera which I own) is considered a prosumer DSLR. The Canon pro DSLRs

    are
    > > the 1D and the 1Ds.
    > >
    > > Of course, the Sigma cameras are *ALL* crap.
    > >

    > So you walk into whatever trap is set - they aren't crap, they are an
    > alternative which is reasonably well made and has as many positive
    > points as negative ones. They are expensive, they have limitations, they
    > have faults, but what they do properly, they (or at least the SD10) do
    > extremely well. The only thing a Canon 300D can't do, which the Sigma
    > SD10 can, is produce an image which resembles a three-shot or a scanning
    > back picture on a small scale.
    >
    > There is no need whatsover for any camera to do this - even a Fine or
    > Standard JPEG from many consumer cameras produces a perfectly good
    > print, and the Canon image is as good as anyone will need for
    > professional or enthusiast use (eve the 300D - it's just as good the 10D
    > or D60 image).
    >
    > But if you happen to like working with that kind of image the
    > Sigma/Foveon solution is a valid alternative, and not crap. And cohorts
    > in agreement just display some inability to be objective.
    >
    > David

    OK, George. Whatever you say.

    PS. Sigma SUCKS!

    Cretin Needs, Jul 22, 2004
  17. Georges Preddivous

    Rieper Guest

    "wire 54" <wire54@nospam_btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > Thought he had gone strangely quiet. He has missed out the fact that this
    > amazing sensor actually
    > has four layers according to most reviews ....the fourth being a layer of
    > dust !!!!

    LOL. So true...

    Rieper, Jul 22, 2004
  18. Cretin Needs wrote:

    > OK, George. Whatever you say.
    >
    > PS. Sigma SUCKS!

    I had forgotten how much fun it is to converse with 13-year-olds... DK

    David Kilpatrick, Jul 22, 2004