Re: Canon PowerShot G12 .CTG Modified time doesn't change

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe Kotroczo, Sep 14, 2012.

  1. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 14/09/2012 16:29, Mark F wrote:
    > I recently started using a Canon PowerShot G12 camera.
    >
    > As per my usual practice, I periodically use a synchronization program
    > to make sure that I have a copy of the data on the card from the
    > camera on my computer. I set the program only check path, length,
    > and various time fields, rather than comparing the contents of all
    > of the files that are already present on both the disk copy and the
    > card from the camera.

    (...)

    Why?

    And who cares about .CTG files anyway? You don't need to worry about
    those, they are catalogue files used by the camera for displaying images
    on the camera display.

    Maybe limit your syncing efforts to .JPG and .CR2 files?

    Seriously, nobody cares that the Modified time doesn't change on a .CTG
    file.

    --
    audentes fortuna iuvat
    Joe Kotroczo, Sep 14, 2012

  2. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 14/09/2012 19:05, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
    > On 14/09/2012 16:29, Mark F wrote:
    >> I recently started using a Canon PowerShot G12 camera.
    >>
    >> As per my usual practice, I periodically use a synchronization program
    >> to make sure that I have a copy of the data on the card from the
    >> camera on my computer. I set the program only check path, length,
    >> and various time fields, rather than comparing the contents of all
    >> of the files that are already present on both the disk copy and the
    >> card from the camera.

    > (...)
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > And who cares about .CTG files anyway? You don't need to worry about
    > those, they are catalogue files used by the camera for displaying images
    > on the camera display.
    >
    > Maybe limit your syncing efforts to .JPG and .CR2 files?
    >
    > Seriously, nobody cares that the Modified time doesn't change on a .CTG
    > file.

    Maybe I should also mention why the .CTG files are not important: if
    they're deleted or corrupted the camera will simply create a new catalogue.

    --
    audentes fortuna iuvat
    Joe Kotroczo, Sep 14, 2012

  3. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 15/09/2012 11:00, Mark F wrote:

    (...)
    > Thus, the only way to backup the card is to read all of the
    > data on the card, which means a new card each day I use the
    > camera or reading gigabytes of data, rather then 30 megabytes
    > of data when I synchronize the data every day.

    Seriously, I still don't get why anyone would want to "backup" a card.

    You copy the images onto your hard drive, format the card, done.

    There's no point in keeping trillions of old photos on cards, it's a
    waste of time and effort.

    --
    audentes fortuna iuvat
    Joe Kotroczo, Sep 15, 2012
  4. Joe Kotroczo

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 10:19:23 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : On 2012-09-15 03:12:54 -0700, Joe Kotroczo <> said:
    :
    : > On 15/09/2012 11:00, Mark F wrote:
    : >
    : > (...)
    : >> Thus, the only way to backup the card is to read all of the
    : >> data on the card, which means a new card each day I use the
    : >> camera or reading gigabytes of data, rather then 30 megabytes
    : >> of data when I synchronize the data every day.
    : >
    : > Seriously, I still don't get why anyone would want to "backup" a card.
    : >
    : > You copy the images onto your hard drive, format the card, done.
    : >
    : > There's no point in keeping trillions of old photos on cards, it's a
    : > waste of time and effort.
    :
    : Agreed!

    Agreed, up to a point. I copy my pictures to a computer right away, but I
    usually don't delete them from the card until the copied images have been
    through at least one backup cycle. This gives me some protection against disk
    failure, bugs in the editing software, and inadvertent deletion.

    I don't think you can have too many backups (within reason), but I agree that
    the OP's workflow is unnecessarily clumsy.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 17, 2012
  5. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 17/09/2012 14:27, Mark F wrote:

    (...)
    > Rotating and image and assigning it to a Category changes both the
    > .JPG file and the .CTG file without changing the Modified time of
    > either file.

    But who does that? Rotate an image in camera or assign a category in
    camera? Isn't it much more comfortable to do all this on your computer?
    In Lightroom or Aperture or whatever you use?

    --
    audentes fortuna iuvat
    Joe Kotroczo, Sep 17, 2012