RE: Canon lenses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. HI ALL

    I have just upgraded to a canon eos 20 D ,The current lenses i own are 18-55,75-300 and the 50 mm block but am not really happy with sharpness of the 75-300 lens and am considering the 28-135mm IS could someone please suggest a better lens and if not is the 28mm-135m IS worth its buy?

    Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com, Dec 29, 2004

  2. Abheet  Gidwani via PhotoKB.com

    Skip M Guest

    "Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in message
    > HI ALL
    >
    > I have just upgraded to a canon eos 20 D ,The current lenses i own are
    > 18-55,75-300 and the 50 mm block but am not really happy with sharpness of
    > the 75-300 lens and am considering the 28-135mm IS could someone please
    > suggest a better lens and if not is the 28mm-135m IS worth its buy?

    It depends on what you want to spend. The 17-85 IS is about $100 more than
    the 28-135 IS, about the same quality, but gives you a wider angle, at the
    expense of reach. The 24-70 f2.8 is a stunning lens, sharp, fast, slightly
    wider and shorter, and A LOT more expensive.
    Taken with the 28-135 and the 20D:
    http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-...ery=My 20D images/Day at the Races&picture=17
    Unlike those who carp about the supposed lack of quality in the 28-135, I've
    had excellent results from it. I don't think you'll find a better lens
    within $400 of its price.
    For more info, read this:
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/is.html

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Dec 29, 2004

  3. Abheet  Gidwani via PhotoKB.com

    John EO Guest

    I had the 75-300 (IS) and sold it last spring and replaced it with the
    100-400 L IS. If you can afford it that is about as good a replacement as
    you can get.

    The 28-135 IS is a very good lens, no where near "L" quality but still very
    good. I can't really see comparing it to the 75-300 though because of the
    range. You may want to take a look at the 70-200 f/4 L lens. A little more
    costly than the 28-135 but from my understanding, a very good quality lens
    (it's next on my wish list!)

    I kept my 28-135 IS and I'm thinking eventually it'll probably be the only
    non - L lens I will have. I do think it's worth the price but that's good
    money not being spent on "L" lenses.

    John EO, Dec 29, 2004
  4. Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com wrote:

    > HI ALL
    >
    > I have just upgraded to a canon eos 20 D ,The current lenses i own are 18-55,75-300 and the 50 mm block but am not really happy with sharpness of the 75-300 lens and am considering the 28-135mm IS could someone please suggest a better lens and if not is the 28mm-135m IS worth its buy?

    There are many current threads on current Canon lens choices, but the
    threads aren't necessarily labelled as such.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 29, 2004
  5. Abheet  Gidwani via PhotoKB.com

    Eric Gill Guest

    > HI ALL
    >
    > I have just upgraded to a canon eos 20 D ,The current lenses i own are
    > 18-55,75-300 and the 50 mm block but am not really happy with
    > sharpness of the 75-300 lens

    Yeah, no kidding.

    > and am considering the 28-135mm IS could
    > someone please suggest a better lens and if not is the 28mm-135m IS
    > worth its buy?

    28-135 is a wonderful lens for the price. I've probably shot more with it
    than any other I own.

    However, it's not a replacement for the 75-300 - the zooms don't overlap
    that much.

    Unfortunately there isn't that much great glass that isn't a LOT more
    expensive in that range. My favorites are Sigma - either the 70-200 f/2.8
    (which has incredible optics but no IS, and less reach) or the 80-400
    (which isn't as fast, but has Sigma's IS equivelent and longer reach).

    The 70-200 is about $750, the 80-400 just over a grand.

    Now, I'm a fast glass addict, so I've left out the Canon 70-200 f/4. It's a
    damned good price (as low as $550) and a LOT lighter than it's faster
    cousins, though no IS. Might be a good replacement for that 75-300 with a
    1.4 Teleconverter.

    Eric Gill, Dec 29, 2004
  6. Abheet  Gidwani via PhotoKB.com

    Fyimo Guest

    I have four Canon L lens and I still have the 28-135mm IS lens. It's a
    great light weight walk around lens and it produces excellent pictures.

    In the readers case I would opt for the 70-200mm f4 L lens if he can
    swing the price. It's and outstanding lens optically and even with the
    canon 1.4x extender it would produce far better images then the
    75-300mm lens. It would still auto focus and be 448mm f5.6 on the long
    end. Without the extender it is very sharp and has excellent contrast.
    I use it both ways with excellent results.
    I sold the 80-200mm f2.8 becasue i didn't need the extra stop or the
    weight. It is also an excellent lens and can be had used for less then
    the price of the f4 version of the 70-200mm.
    If he just wants long the 300mm f4 IS lens is excellent but costs much
    more. If he likes prime lens the 200 f2.8 L is also a great lens and
    about the same price as the zoom 70-200mm f4

    Art

    Fyimo, Dec 29, 2004
  7. Abheet  Gidwani via PhotoKB.com

    Don Dunlap Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > "Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in message
    >> HI ALL
    >>
    >> I have just upgraded to a canon eos 20 D ,The current lenses i own are
    >> 18-55,75-300 and the 50 mm block but am not really happy with sharpness
    >> of the 75-300 lens and am considering the 28-135mm IS could someone
    >> please suggest a better lens and if not is the 28mm-135m IS worth its
    >> buy?
    >>
    >> --

    > It depends on what you want to spend. The 17-85 IS is about $100 more
    > than the 28-135 IS, about the same quality, but gives you a wider angle,
    > at the expense of reach. The 24-70 f2.8 is a stunning lens, sharp, fast,
    > slightly wider and shorter, and A LOT more expensive.
    > Taken with the 28-135 and the 20D:
    > http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-...ery=My 20D images/Day at the Races&picture=17
    > Unlike those who carp about the supposed lack of quality in the 28-135,
    > I've had excellent results from it. I don't think you'll find a better
    > lens within $400 of its price.
    > For more info, read this:
    > http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/is.html
    >
    > --
    > Skip Middleton
    > http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    I don't see any posts about the EF-s 10-22 lens on this forum. Does anyone
    have one and if so, how do you like it. I am interested in a wide angle
    lens and this one seems good - except for the price.

    Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap, Dec 29, 2004
  8. Abheet  Gidwani via PhotoKB.com

    Frank ess Guest

    Don Dunlap wrote:
    <snip>
    > I don't see any posts about the EF-s 10-22 lens on this forum. Does
    > anyone have one and if so, how do you like it. I am interested in a
    > wide
    > angle lens and this one seems good - except for the price.

    Thundering silence? OK.

    I ran between the raindrops and made a few exposures with the Canon EF-S
    10-22:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/F12BC9AC562ED93

    Sorry to say, I haven't had much chance to use either the 20D or the
    lenses, but there is an example from the kit 18-55 on that album, also.

    As I accumulate experience, I'll try to make some judgments; at the
    moment, all I can do is offer an opinion or two:

    The 18-55 seems very good to me. It makes people look good, focuses very
    accurately and quickly, easy to carry.

    10-22 is much, much more substantial, seems very well put together, also
    focuses quickly, zooms smoothly and easily, but I'm not sure I know how
    to use it well, yet. Or maybe just haven't found fit subjects. I liked
    the CP5000 with .68 wide angle (~19mm) best of any of my combinations,
    and once I get some experience with this one, I may have trouble finding
    time to use the others (18-55 kit; 50mm 1.8; 70--300 IS, all of which
    seem to work good and as advertised).

    We'll see.

    Frank ess, Dec 30, 2004