Re: Canon G3 vs Olympus camedia 5050 Vs Fuji Fuji FinePix Digital Camera, S602

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by The Ruzicka Family, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. "Chris Gunn" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 20:28:43 -0600, "The Ruzicka Family"

    G3
    > >is

    pics

    > >> And yet the g3 takes better pics than the g5.

    > >Might that not depend on exactly what kind of pictures you want? If I
    > >wanted to be able to have a very large picture (size-wise), maybe

    suitable
    > >for hanging on a wall, I'd probably want to go with a 5MP over a 4MP. If
    > >all I ever wanted was small pictures, then I'd have to agree it would

    make
    > >more sense to go with the G3.

    > Really. And just how many more inches are we taking about?
    > By pixels alone it would give you 11.8% more on a side.
    > EG: 8.94x11.18 vs 8.00x10.00 for same res.
    >
    > What is the difference in measuable resolution between the two?
    >
    > It is possible to have a camera with more pixels but less resolution
    > you know.
    >
    > Do you really want to blow up the extra chromatic abberation, noise?
    >
    > How large, viewed from how far away?
    >
    > Incidentally, there are proffesionals who chose the s602z 3.1mp cam
    > for making 6mx4m posters, tossing out it's 5mp competitors in horror.
    >
    > Well let's see. Well, actually to my surprise, the G5 has 30% more
    > measurable res than the G3! Compared to the 25% inc in pixels.
    > I am surprised.
    > => 14% more on a side.
    >
    > Still, not small vs very large.

    Excuse me then. Rather than say "small" picture, I should have said
    "smaller." That then would have made it more valid.

    And by the way, the "extra chromatic abberation" you speak of is blown WAY
    out of proportion. Can there be CA? Sure. Does the C-5050 suffer from it
    more than the G3? Maybe. But it really does depend on how well you know
    the camera and are able to use it to its fullest advantage. Same goes for
    the noise issue. For normal, regular size pics, taken properly, you're not
    going to "see" any extra noise from the C-5050 (unless you really blow it
    up). Is the noise really down deep in there? Probably so. But that seems
    to be a bigger issue with 5MP than 4MP anyway. Just look at the G5! It's
    supposed to be better than the G3, but it's got more "noise" than the
    C-5050! And when you add in the better color of the C-5050, I'll still say
    it easily holds its own to the G3, if not more so. That's why, after a LOT
    of research on whether I should get the G3 or C-5050, I opted for the
    C-5050. I added up all the pluses and minuses of both cameras and the
    C-5050 won.

    The Ruzicka Family, Jul 11, 2003

  2. The Ruzicka Family

    max Guest

    > > And by the way, the "extra chromatic abberation" you speak of is blown WAY
    > > out of proportion. Can there be CA? Sure. Does the C-5050 suffer from it
    > > more than the G3? Maybe. But it really does depend on how well you know
    > > the camera and are able to use it to its fullest advantage. Same goes for
    > > the noise issue. For normal, regular size pics, taken properly, you're not
    > > going to "see" any extra noise from the C-5050 (unless you really blow it
    > > up). Is the noise really down deep in there? Probably so. But that seems
    > > to be a bigger issue with 5MP than 4MP anyway. Just look at the G5! It's
    > > supposed to be better than the G3, but it's got more "noise" than the
    > > C-5050! And when you add in the better color of the C-5050, I'll still say
    > > it easily holds its own to the G3, if not more so. That's why, after a LOT
    > > of research on whether I should get the G3 or C-5050, I opted for the
    > > C-5050. I added up all the pluses and minuses of both cameras and the
    > > C-5050 won.

    > All three of these cameras are good and they each have their strengths
    > and weaknesses in image quality, and also differences in less
    > quantifiable aspects like ergonomics.
    >
    > The best way to evaluate "real world" chromatic abberation and noise if
    > you don't have the camera to test is to look at photos posted on sites
    > like dpreview.com. Can you see chromatic abberation in any real world
    > shots and if so is it frequent or rare? Look at the full size file on
    > screen. The amount of noise can be judged pretty easily by looking for
    > a grainy appearence in blue skies.
    > --
    > To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

    I have taken a number of shots with the G5 here:
    http://home19.inet.tele.dk/maxarte/g5paabali/index.htm?1

    The pictures have been maipulated quite a bit, so you won't
    see the CA, but all the pictures where people are wearing
    white, t-shirts or hats, the prints show a lot of CA and softnes,
    it bothers me, I had expected much better..

    From now on I will use my S2, when it is not in the repairshop.
    My daughter loves the G5, so the story has a happy end after all..
    -max-

    max, Jul 12, 2003

  3. The Ruzicka Family

    Steve James Guest

    max <> wrote:

    > I have taken a number of shots with the G5 here:
    > http://home19.inet.tele.dk/maxarte/g5paabali/index.htm?1
    >
    > The pictures have been maipulated quite a bit, so you won't
    > see the CA, but all the pictures where people are wearing
    > white, t-shirts or hats, the prints show a lot of CA and softnes,
    > it bothers me, I had expected much better..

    Nice pictures! I can see some CA when I blow up the pictures, but they
    have been downsized enough ( and maybe processed in other ways) that a
    lot of is not visible or at least no more bothersome than the other
    artifacts introduced by the downsizing and manipulation. If you can see
    it in prints made from the full resolution file, that is definitely a
    problem and quite disappointing I'm sure since this camera is great in
    many other respects. I wonder if anyone has successfully returned this
    camera because of this property.

    --
    To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

    Steve James, Jul 12, 2003
  4. The Ruzicka Family

    Chris Gunn Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:07:41 -0600, "The Ruzicka Family"

    >And by the way, the "extra chromatic abberation" you speak of is blown WAY
    >out of proportion. Can there be CA? Sure. Does the C-5050 suffer from it
    >more than the G3? Maybe. But it really does depend on how well you know

    I haven't checked. I was talking about the G5. Haven't even looked at
    the G5. I was mainly whining about the way people assume that more mp
    means a cam must be better, when the lens may not be up to it, they
    will be getting more noise, less dynamic range etc, and the difference
    in res they will never notice even if it actually has any.

    >the camera and are able to use it to its fullest advantage. Same goes for
    >the noise issue. For normal, regular size pics, taken properly, you're not
    >going to "see" any extra noise from the C-5050 (unless you really blow it
    >up). Is the noise really down deep in there? Probably so. But that seems
    >to be a bigger issue with 5MP than 4MP anyway. Just look at the G5! It's
    >supposed to be better than the G3, but it's got more "noise" than the
    >C-5050! And when you add in the better color of the C-5050, I'll still say
    >it easily holds its own to the G3, if not more so. That's why, after a LOT
    >of research on whether I should get the G3 or C-5050, I opted for the
    >C-5050. I added up all the pluses and minuses of both cameras and the
    >C-5050 won.

    I would have gone that way myself in a flash. Probably. The G series
    ND filter thing wierds me out.

    Gunn

    Chris Gunn, Jul 12, 2003
  5. The Ruzicka Family

    Chris Gunn Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 06:53:52 +0200, "max" <> wrote:

    >I have taken a number of shots with the G5 here:
    >http://home19.inet.tele.dk/maxarte/g5paabali/index.htm?1
    >
    >The pictures have been maipulated quite a bit, so you won't
    >see the CA, but all the pictures where people are wearing
    >white, t-shirts or hats, the prints show a lot of CA and softnes,
    >it bothers me, I had expected much better..

    Do you have an opinion on how it compase to the G3 or 5050?

    >From now on I will use my S2, when it is not in the repairshop.
    >My daughter loves the G5, so the story has a happy end after all..

    What's wrong with the S2? Camera damage is a bugger.

    GUnn

    Chris Gunn, Jul 12, 2003