Re: Canon G3 vs Olympus camedia 5050 Vs Fuji Fuji FinePix Digital Camera, S602

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris Gunn, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Chris Gunn

    Chris Gunn Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:37:17 +0100, David Oddie

    >>When will people learn?

    >I might ask you the same question.
    >>
    >>Canon Iso's are bullshit! (skewed anyway)
    >>
    >>Canon 50 is more like... 80?

    >And the Fuji is lowest is ISO 160 - which is a STOP faster than ISO
    >80.
    >
    >Which negates the one stop advantage of the Canon's F2 lens over the
    >F2.8 Fuji. Which is what I said originally.
    >
    >Like you said, when will people learn.
    >
    >I await your reply with interest.

    What on earth is your point?

    You realise the canon has higher Iso levels available?

    You talk is if there were some advantage to raising the minimum
    available ISO. (BTW, it isn't) People would complain were it not for
    the fact that the 602z gives a relatively clean image at 160.

    Your argument could make more sense if you were talking about the
    other end of the ISO spectrum.

    Gunn

    s602z

    Chris Gunn, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Chris Gunn

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:45:13 +0100, David Oddie <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >a lens that is at least a stop faster then the 602.
    >
    >Given that to get best quality from any of these cameras you have to
    >use them on the lowest ISO setting it is important to consider what
    >that setting is and how it affects their use.
    >
    >On the Canon it is quoted at 50 but is in fact reported as being more
    >like 80.
    >
    >On the Oly it is 64 and is reported as being about right in that.
    >
    >On the 602 the lowest ISO is 160.
    >
    >Taking the Canon as an example, if you aim for best quality and set
    >ISO "50" you will have a combination of F2 and ISO 80 at a certain
    >light level - right?
    >
    >Lets say at F2 and ISO 80 that gives a shutter speed of 1/60 sec for
    >that given light level.
    >
    >With the 602 you will have a combination of F2.8 and ISO 160.
    >
    >For the same given light level that will ALSO give you a shutter speed
    >of 1/60 sec (with the lens at F2.8).
    >
    >Therefore the point is that the faster lens on the Canon (and Oly)
    >does not offer any advantage over the 602 in this situation due to the
    >602's more sensitive sensor.
    >

    >>You realise the canon has higher Iso levels available?

    >Yes and I also know that for both the G3 and G5 noise goes up a lot
    >once you move off ISO "50".
    >
    >>You talk is if there were some advantage to raising the minimum
    >>available ISO. (BTW, it isn't) People would complain were it not for
    >>the fact that the 602z gives a relatively clean image at 160.

    >Not at all. You have missed the point by a mile.
    >
    >The Fuji has an inherently more sensitive sensor than the other
    >cameras due to its design. I am saying a sensor that is inherently
    >more sensitive that still delivers clean results is better than a less
    >sensitive one that delivers similar results.
    >
    >In this case the more sensitive Fuji sensor negates the advantage of a
    >faster lens. So when people say the G3/5 is better because of the
    >faster lens I say that is not true because to if you want to shoot at
    >the best quality lowest ISO setting, the shutter speed set by both
    >cameras will be the same.
    >
    >Move any digi-cam off lowest ISO and watch the noise rise.
    >
    >If the Fuji was more noticeably more noisy at ISO 160 than the Canon
    >and Oly at ISO "50" and 64 respectively you may have a point but it
    >isn't.
    >
    >So since they will all, when the light level dictates you must use the
    >maximum aperture, end up setting the SAME shutter speed if they are
    >set to their best (lowest) ISO rating.
    >
    >So the faster lenses on the Oly and Canon don't gain you anything.
    >
    >Is it clear now?
    >
    >>Your argument could make more sense if you were talking about the
    >>other end of the ISO spectrum.

    >I am talking about obtaining best quality by setting the lowest ISO
    >and what that means as regards the capabilities of these cameras -
    >which come out equal despite their different lenses due to the
    >different sensitivities of their sensors.

    Reminds me of the old, old Ford vs Chevrolet vs Plymouth
    arguments...... there's "experts" that can give good arguments
    for any of those too.
    Some things prospective owners have to make their own
    decision!

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Chris Gunn

    David Oddie Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 03:16:35 +1200, Chris Gunn
    <> wrote:

    >This would be an argument if the 602 160 iso were equal to the G3 80
    >iso in terms of... I suppose noise?

    That is where I am coming from. There seem few pro-sumer digicams
    that do well when moved of the slowest ISO setting as regards noise.

    So assuming you want to stick with the lowest ISO setting these two
    cameras will offer you the same shutter speed when set to their
    respective maximum apatures.

    Dave

    --
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
    warning to others.

    Remove the uppercase N O S P A M to reply via email.

    David Oddie, Jul 14, 2003