Re: Canon EOS Rebel T1i SLR vs Canon PowerShot SX1IS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Nov 27, 2009.

  1. "James Egan" <> wrote in message
    > I've been researching digital cameras, and my main criteria is that it
    > possesses 1920 x 1080 HD video capability. Both the T1i and SX1IS have
    > this video resolution. The T1i is an SLR at $700. The SX1IS is a point
    > and shoot camera for about $500. I'm not into photography that much,
    > and
    > am only interested in shooting home movies and photos for the most part.
    > Is the SLR camera worth the $200 extra, and does it take much more
    > effort
    > to use than a point and shoot camera? Or would I be better off with the
    > point and shoot camera, and a book titled "Photography for Dummies"?
    >
    > -Thanks

    James,

    What's the cheapest movie camera you can get which would do the job, and
    does it take high-enough quality stills for you?

    The P&S will be more compact, but slower and less flexible in use than the
    DSLR, but the DSLR will be more expensive if you need to equip it with the
    same field-of-view range as the P&S. The zoom will be a quick twist of a
    ring on the DSLR allowing speedy and precise setting, but a fiddly rocker
    switch on the P&S taking time to set and providing less precision. Go
    into a shop and handle both - which are you more comfortable with? Will
    you need to change lenses (perhaps not if you get an 18-200mm with the
    DSLR) and are you comfortable with doing that?

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 27, 2009

  2. "James Egan" <> wrote in message
    []
    > It seems most of the video cameras don't take very high resolution
    > stills. Plus, I want the convenience of bringing one camera for video
    > and stills. I currently have a Kodak Z1275 which takes pretty good
    > stills and 720p video, but I want the 1080p.
    >
    > -Thanks

    Understood, James. If you're used to the Kodak, the Canon SX1 IS will
    probably suit you very well.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 27, 2009

  3. David J Taylor

    ransley Guest

    On Nov 27, 1:31 pm, "David J Taylor" <-this-
    bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    > "James Egan" <> wrote in message

    > []
    >
    > > It seems most of the video cameras don't take very high resolution
    > > stills.  Plus, I want the convenience of bringing one camera for video
    > > and stills.  I currently have a Kodak Z1275 which takes pretty good
    > > stills and 720p video, but I want the 1080p.

    > > -Thanks

    > Understood, James.  If you're used to the Kodak, the Canon SX1 IS will
    > probably suit you very well.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    www.digitalcamerareview.com has a sample videos from the Sx1, I find
    the quality only fair compared to a dedicated VC, it only gets 12
    minutes on a 6gb card, and not the cheap slow cards, trying to shoot
    an hour of video would be crazy. A video camera is best for video.

    ransley, Nov 28, 2009