Re: Canon A590 - quality a disappointment - lemon, or typical?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SMS, May 19, 2009.

  1. SMS

    SMS Guest

    bugbear wrote:

    > Do I have a duff a590 (which needs returning to the retailer), or is my
    > a630 an unfair basis for comparison?
    >
    > I don't have multiple spare a590s for comparison - but I'm hoping
    > denizens here can help me out.
    >
    > Comments keenly appreciated (except the ones "saying get a DSLR")

    See if the retailer has any A570s left. The A590 is rather
    disappointing. The increase in pixel density from the A570 seems to have
    gone right across the line from good to mediocre, even though the
    increase was only from 7.1MP to 8MP. Maybe it has to do with the OIS,
    since the A630 is 8 MP and is fine. I ran out and bought a second A570
    before they were discontinued.

    Since it's the same engine (A570 versus A590), but with a higher density
    sensor, there were other compromises as well, i.e. the video frame rate
    went from 30 fps on the A570 to 20 fps on the A590, because the CPU
    couldn't keep up with the higher density sensor. Low light performance
    is better on the A570 as well, though "better" is relative since all
    small sensor cameras have pretty crappy low light performance.

    Consider the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1. It's not a D-SLR, but it has many
    of the advantages of a D-SLR, including the same size sensor used on the
    4:3 D-SLRs (small for a D-SLR, but huge for a P&S).
    SMS, May 19, 2009

  2. SMS

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 19 May 2009 06:48:24 -0700, SMS wrote:

    > See if the retailer has any A570s left. The A590 is rather
    > disappointing. The increase in pixel density from the A570 seems to have
    > gone right across the line from good to mediocre, even though the
    > increase was only from 7.1MP to 8MP. Maybe it has to do with the OIS,
    > since the A630 is 8 MP and is fine. I ran out and bought a second A570
    > before they were discontinued.

    Ah yes. After trolling the newsgroups for almost half a year,
    telling us how terrible the A570 is because your female relative
    that borrowed your A570 claimed that battery life was terrible. You
    repeatedly stated that fresh alkalines were only good for dozen or
    so shots and that you'd check into it when the camera was returned.
    I'll bet that your female relative bought cheap counterfeit "heavy
    duty" batteries labeled to look like alkalines. You never retracted
    any of what must have been a dozen to two dozen of these bogus
    statements in the newsgroup, when Canon's manual (and personal
    testing) showed that the A570 was good for up to 400 shots from each
    pair of AA alkalines and up to 900 shots from a pair of AA NiMH
    batteries. About 1/2 that number if the LCD display is used instead
    of the optical viewfinder. Is that female relative of yours hiding
    in an undisclosed location? :)

    Anyone without your well known anti-AA battery agenda would have
    known better than to make such rash, improbable statements tarring
    all A570s, and would have assumed that either bad batteries or a
    defective camera was responsible. You, on the other hand stayed
    true to form, spouting absurd nonsense. Canon says up to 400 shots.
    You said no more than 20. In fact, your illogical bogus statement
    still hasn't been removed from your vanity battery website :

    > I didn't realize just how bad alkaline batteries were until I lent
    > an AA powered camera (Canon A570IS) to a relative that tried
    > to use alkaline AA batteries while on a cruise. She reported getting
    > about ten pictures per set of batteries. When I inquired if this was
    > normal on rec.photo.digital I got a slew of responses and every one
    > of them reported similar results with alkaline batteries.

    http://batterydata.com/

    And of course the claim that "every one of them reported similar
    results" is either an outright fabrication or you can't separate
    delusion from reality. If the camera went through batteries that
    quickly, nobody in their right mind would have bought a second, but
    many have done so, and now, according to your reply, so did you.

    More interesting SMS info that a quick google search turned up :

    http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.photo.digital/2008-11/msg01459.html
    ASAAR, May 19, 2009