Re: Canon 7D S-RAW/M-RAW Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Arun, Sep 3, 2009.

  1. Arun

    Arun Guest

    On Sep 2, 10:02 pm, "Tyler" <0m> wrote:
    > With sensor resolutions getting higher and higher, in theory it would be
    > tempting to shoot the majority of my photos in M-RAW, instead of full
    > resolution.  However, as I've never used S/M-RAW formats before, I have a
    > few questions:
    >
    > 1) Are there any disadvantages for shooting in these formats, as opposed to
    > normal RAW's?
    >
    > 2) As the camera is processing/converting the raw sensor data, does it still
    > give the same non-destructive white balance flexibility as normal RAW files?
    > Does the camera add any noise reduction/sharpening during the conversion?
    >
    > 3) Do the files stay 14 bit?
    >
    > 4) Do they convert to DNG OK?
    >
    > Alternatively, any links to some good info would also be appreciated.
    >
    > (BTW, it's not so much the RAW file sizes I'm concerned about, it's mainly
    > the size of the TIFF working files).

    My camera never had an S or M RAW option, (Rebel XTi) if i had, i
    would be using it more often than full size raw because, i dont really
    need 10MB size files for my type of printing, all i need is the
    flexibility for post processing.

    Regards,
    Arun
    Blog: http://explorersoflight.blogspot.com/