Re: Canon 7D S-RAW/M-RAW Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John McWilliams, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. Tyler wrote:
    > With sensor resolutions getting higher and higher, in theory it would be
    > tempting to shoot the majority of my photos in M-RAW, instead of full
    > resolution. However, as I've never used S/M-RAW formats before, I have
    > a few questions:
    >
    > 1) Are there any disadvantages for shooting in these formats, as opposed
    > to normal RAW's?

    Well, sure: less pixels.

    > 2) As the camera is processing/converting the raw sensor data, does it
    > still give the same non-destructive white balance flexibility as normal
    > RAW files? Does the camera add any noise reduction/sharpening during the
    > conversion?

    Yes, on WB, no re NR or sharpening- at least no more or less than done
    for regular RAW, if any.

    > 3) Do the files stay 14 bit?

    Dunno.

    > 4) Do they convert to DNG OK?

    Dunno.

    > Alternatively, any links to some good info would also be appreciated.
    >
    > (BTW, it's not so much the RAW file sizes I'm concerned about, it's
    > mainly the size of the TIFF working files).

    If you're converting to TIFF, you can downsize there.

    But are you considering a camera with this feature, or do you have one
    where you might be able to see the results?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 2, 2009

  2. John McWilliams

    Ron Recer Guest

    "Tyler" <0m> wrote in message
    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Alternatively, any links to some good info would also be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> (BTW, it's not so much the RAW file sizes I'm concerned about, it's
    >>> mainly the size of the TIFF working files).

    >> If you're converting to TIFF, you can downsize there.
    >>
    >> But are you considering a camera with this feature, or do you have one
    >> where you might be able to see the results?

    > No, I am considering a new body ATM.
    >
    > You made a good point about resizing the TIFF. Although, once it's there,
    > it'll be hard to throw away data. Yeah, I know, it's a psychological
    > thing.

    The why are you considering throwing away data at the time you take the pic?

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Sep 4, 2009

  3. John McWilliams

    John A. Guest

    On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 17:46:55 +0100, "Tyler" <0m> wrote:

    >"Ron Recer" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, I am considering a new body ATM.
    >>>
    >>> You made a good point about resizing the TIFF. Although, once it's
    >>> there, it'll be hard to throw away data. Yeah, I know, it's a
    >>> psychological thing.

    >> The why are you considering throwing away data at the time you take the
    >> pic?
    >>
    >> Ron

    >I seldom have any need for 18MP images and therefore is a waste of space for
    >me when summing up the original RAW image size, the TIFF working file (incl
    >layers) and output file. Of course, I understand that some people do need
    >18MP.
    >
    >So, this is why I'm currently looking into the advantages/disadvantages of
    >shooting M-RAW. By shooting in full RAW, once working on the full res image
    >and getting the image exactly how you want it, it will then be difficult to
    >downsize it and throw away data. As I said, it's technically a
    >psychological thing, but also not a smooth workflow scenario for those who
    >don't need the resolution.
    >
    >I'm just thinking ahead. I'm not ruling out just shooting full RAW, just
    >exploring the possibilities of M-RAW. In fact, looking at the button layout
    >or the 7D, instead of the dedicated RAW/RAW + JPEG button, I wonder if a
    >toggle between RAW/M-RAW would be more useful. In real life, I think the
    >photographer would know in advance whether he/she wanted to shoot RAW, or
    >RAW + JPEG, so seems a strange choice of button, especially as Canon are
    >usually quite conservative with adding buttons to the body.

    Can the camera convert a RAW to M-RAW after the shot, say if you want
    to recover card space and don't have any shots you're willing to throw
    away, but do have some from which you know you won't need any crops or
    big prints. My camera doesn't offer multiple RAW sizes, but can
    convert to jpeg in-camera, with various white balance & filtering
    options, and can delete just the RAW or jpeg or both. I figure since
    the M-RAW is based on the RAW just like a jpeg it aught to be a simple
    matter of allowing you to invoke the downsampling function via the
    menu.

    John A., Sep 4, 2009