Re: Canon 300D $100 Rebate now available (along with lens and flash rebates)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Linda_N, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Linda_N

    Linda_N Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote:
    >
    >> >Why do folks want silver more than black?

    >> The silver rebel reflects light where as the black one absorbs light
    >> and heat thus making the CMOS sensor hotter. This makes the pics
    >> noisier.

    > This changes the heating _rates_; the ultimate temperature is still
    > going to be the same. If anything, a black camera should be preferred
    > because it will _cool faster_ than a white one when removed from
    > radiative contact, er, sorry, put into the shade. (Example "shade" ->
    > when you bend over the camera, fussing around prior to taking a
    > picture). The differences in the time-constants are unlikely worth
    > any consideration though.
    >
    > Anyways, people buy black cameras because they generally look nicer
    > (to me and apparently most others), have a "professional" air to them
    > (previous point, market history, the Jones Factor, etc), and are
    > certainly alot less noticable than white or silver cameras.

    I think black is nicer looking, plus scratches and dirt seem to hide better
    (not always but often) with black surfaces.

    Linda
    Linda_N, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Linda_N

    PETERWOJ Guest

    Black will heat up in the Sun much, much faster. When the camera is in the Sun
    and it's already warm to begin with like for example summer in Arizona or
    Nevada. Put the camera inside locked car, somewhere where it's exposed to Sun
    for few hours when the temperature outside, in the shade is already 110 F and
    you will know what I'm talking about. In such a case silver camera will make a
    difference against black one. In other places like for example Alaska it won't
    make a difference and then you could go for the looks. My red car is about 10F
    warmer if parked in the sun for few hours than my silver one. Also you can't
    touch black steering wheel in my red car or you burn yourself in the first five
    min. or so. The silver steering wheel in my silver car never gets too hot to
    hold it. And I don't live in South either. So depending on where you live it
    may make more sense to go with looks (black) and sometimes it makes more sense
    to go along with laws of physics and get reflecting silver.
    PETERWOJ, Oct 24, 2004

  3. >>> The silver rebel reflects light where as the black one absorbs light
    >>> and heat thus making the CMOS sensor hotter. This makes the pics
    >>> noisier.

    >> This changes the heating _rates_; the ultimate temperature is still
    >> going to be the same. If anything, a black camera should be preferred

    I don't think so. Won't the silver reflect more energy from direct
    sunlight, and so not heat up as much in the sun? Surely, for example,
    a piece of black fabric will heat up more from sunlight than a mirror,
    right?

    -Joel
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Linda_N

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman <> wrote:

    >>> This changes the heating _rates_; the ultimate temperature is still
    >>> going to be the same. If anything, a black camera should be preferred

    >I don't think so. Won't the silver reflect more energy from direct
    >sunlight, and so not heat up as much in the sun? Surely, for example,
    >a piece of black fabric will heat up more from sunlight than a mirror,
    >right?

    >-Joel

    Perhaps one should buy both. One for summer use and the
    other for winter?

    ----- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Linda_N

    JohnR Guest

    "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <> wrote in message

    > >> This changes the heating _rates_; the ultimate temperature is still
    > >> going to be the same. If anything, a black camera should be preferred

    > I don't think so. Won't the silver reflect more energy from direct
    > sunlight, and so not heat up as much in the sun? Surely, for example,
    > a piece of black fabric will heat up more from sunlight than a mirror,
    > right?
    >
    > -Joel

    You are correct. I've used black cameras out in the sun and they do get
    wickedly hot where as the chrome ones were much cooler. The black ones do
    look less conspicuous and more professional, but they never made much sense
    to me for outdoor/wildlife work.
    John
    JohnR, Dec 3, 2004