Re: Canon 1Dx question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe Kotroczo, Jun 23, 2013.

  1. Joe Kotroczo

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 23/06/2013 13:31, rwalker wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 04:45:51 -0500, Neil Ellwood
    > <> wrote:

    (...)
    > I could barely make the 5DIII fit my budget, so I was never giving
    > really serious consideration to the 1D.. I'm sure that the 1Dx must
    > have some benefits, but it wasn't clear to me what that was. You've
    > made it clearer. If someone was a pro, who is likely to be taking it
    > into enviroments where that heavier build and water tightness becomes
    > extremely important, then it makes sense to spend the extra money.
    > Mine really was a legitimate question, I wasn't being facetious or
    > trolling. (It must have been one of the earlier 1D models that had
    > the APS-H sensor.)

    Apart from the ruggedness the other advantage it's supposed to have is
    speed. Which is probably only a concern if you shoot news, action or
    sports for a living and can't afford to miss _that_ shot.

    Joe Kotroczo, Jun 23, 2013

  2. Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:
    [1DX]

    > Apart from the ruggedness the other advantage it's supposed to have is
    > speed. Which is probably only a concern if you shoot news, action or
    > sports for a living and can't afford to miss _that_ shot.

    Oh, and clarkvision.com says the read noise is *very* good:
    | The read noise, reaching a low of only 1.2 electrons at
    | ISO 12,800 is the lowest I have yet measured and the
    | lowest I have seen on any room-temperature sensor. Only
    | the 1D Mark IV in the canon line comes close; all other
    | Canon cameras tested above 2 electrons read noise, except
    | the Canon 1D Mark IV, which has a read noise at ISO
    | 12,800 of 1.7 electrons.
    http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/evaluation-canon-1dx/index.html

    Oh, and face tracking for the AF and a 100.000 pixel RGB
    metering sensor (with dedicated processor).

    Oh, and more direct access buttons (programmable).

    Oh, and a slightly faster sync time.

    Oh, and Ethernet. Just plug in the cable in in your studio.

    And a couple other things that may be of value in some
    situations which you may or may not come into.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 23, 2013