Re: Canon 1D MKIII announced!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lionel, Feb 22, 2007.

  1. Lionel

    Lionel Guest

    On 21 Feb 2007 20:26:54 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    wrote:

    >Bad news for Nikon!

    Put it back in your pants, Brett. ;)

    >http://tinyurl.com/2htwyn
    >or

    <http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=14999>

    Also up on Digital Imagemaker:
    <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=893>

    And DPReview:
    <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022208canoneos1dmarkiii.asp>
    Plus the accessories:
    <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022207eos1dmarkiiiaccs.asp>

    And Rob Galbraith:
    <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8736-8850>

    --
    W "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
    . | ,. w ,

    Lionel, Feb 22, 2007

  2. Lionel

    Lionel Guest

    Canon 1D MKIII - the most interesting facts

    Canon 1D MKIII highlights, compared to the 1DMk2 & 1DMk2N:

    Physical:
    * They've kept the 1.3x crop / lens factor
    * 10 FPS (vs 8 FPS)
    * More mag-alloy parts
    * Self-cleaning sensor (piezo vibrates IR filter)
    * New optical filtering for sensor
    * 3" LCD (vs 2.5")
    * "Silent Mode"
    * More "cross type" AF points (19 vs 7)

    Electronic/Software
    * 10MP (vs 8MP), but with same pixel size (7.2um).
    * A to D resolution increased from 12 bits to 14 bits
    * 50% less shadow noise than the 1DMk2 & Mk2N for the same ISOs
    * ISO 3200 now good enough to include in the standard ISO range
    * Max ISO of 6400 (presumably noisy, like the old 3200)
    * Live view system (!!!) Lots of limitations, but still wow!

    Canon USA:
    <http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=14999>

    Digital Imagemaker:
    <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=893>

    DPReview:
    <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022208canoneos1dmarkiii.asp>
    Plus the accessories:
    <http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022207eos1dmarkiiiaccs.asp>

    Rob Galbraith:
    <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8736-8850>

    Official Canon White Paper:
    <http://www.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_III_White_Paper.pdf>

    Lionel, Feb 22, 2007

  3. Lionel

    wiyum Guest

    Re: Canon 1D MKIII - the most interesting facts

    > * 10MP (vs 8MP), but with same pixel size (7.2um).

    When I read this I assumed there must be an error. Clearly it is
    impossible to increase resolution like this without shrinking the
    pixels?

    Those clever engineers reduced only the area between pixels, which I
    think should also improve color response slightly as well. Very nice
    development.

    I think Canon actually listened to everyone that has been saying
    they're sick of the megapixel war and want to see more features that
    make a difference. This megapixel bump without smaller photodiodes and
    the decreased shadow noise via dual processing are especially
    compelling to me. I'm excited to see what happens when some of this
    migrates into the next midrange full frame body.

    Will

    wiyum, Feb 22, 2007
  4. Lionel

    Mark² Guest

    wiyum wrote:
    >> * 10MP (vs 8MP), but with same pixel size (7.2um).

    > When I read this I assumed there must be an error. Clearly it is
    > impossible to increase resolution like this without shrinking the
    > pixels?
    >> Those clever engineers reduced only the area between pixels, which I

    > think should also improve color response slightly as well. Very nice
    > development.
    >
    > I think Canon actually listened to everyone that has been saying
    > they're sick of the megapixel war and want to see more features that
    > make a difference. This megapixel bump without smaller photodiodes and
    > the decreased shadow noise via dual processing are especially
    > compelling to me. I'm excited to see what happens when some of this
    > migrates into the next midrange full frame body.
    >
    > Will

    I agree. They've pulled a rabbit out of the hat on this one, and good for
    them.
    I also find 110 large/fine jpegs or 30 RAWs at 10fps through the use of TWO
    new Digic III processors equally compelling...along with dust removal algos
    AFTER the fact (Shoot a blank wall, and software detects darker spots with
    dust, and makes adjustments...-Screw the vibrating trick...this software
    solution really works).

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Feb 22, 2007
  5. Lionel

    Paul Furman Guest

    Lionel wrote:

    > And Rob Galbraith:
    > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8736-8850>

    (a pretty thorough description in that link)

    Nice camera!

    Paul Furman, Feb 22, 2007
  6. Re: Canon 1D MKIII - the most interesting facts

    wiyum wrote:
    >> * 10MP (vs 8MP), but with same pixel size (7.2um).

    > When I read this I assumed there must be an error. Clearly it is
    > impossible to increase resolution like this without shrinking the
    > pixels?

    Esy make the chip larger :)

    > Those clever engineers reduced only the area between pixels, which I
    > think should also improve color response slightly as well. Very nice
    > development.

    That would also be possible, to pack them closer.

    --
    Best regards
    C.T.O. Søren Reinke

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Reinke?=, Feb 22, 2007
  7. Lionel

    smb Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:51:19 +1100, Lionel <>
    wrote:

    >On 21 Feb 2007 20:26:54 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Bad news for Nikon!

    >Put it back in your pants, Brett. ;)

    I don't know why Brett has such an anti-Nikon personality disorder....
    was he hit on the head with a big Nikkor when he was a child? :)

    New improved models come out all the time from both companies. This
    is Canon's latest gem. It's very impressive for those who need those
    features. To think it's something that will kill Nikon is a bit
    naive, we haven't yet seen what their next offering will be.

    As impressive as the features are, it appears that Canon has backed
    down from full frame in their flagship model. Instead, they've added
    yet another sensor size to their lineup. What are they up to now,
    four?

    So Brett, keep on telling us about the orgasms you get taking pictures
    of your cats with your 20D, the rest of us will simply enjoy shooting
    pictures with whatever gear we choose to use.

    Steve

    smb, Feb 22, 2007
  8. Lionel

    wiyum Guest

    > As impressive as the features are, it appears that Canon has backed
    > down from full frame in their flagship model. Instead, they've added
    > yet another sensor size to their lineup. What are they up to now,
    > four?

    The 1D hasn't been their flagship since the original 1Ds in November
    of 2002, and it still isn't. The 1D has also always had a 1.3x crop
    factor, so this isn't a new sensor size, it is the same "third" size
    it always has been.

    Will

    wiyum, Feb 22, 2007
  9. Lionel

    Paul Rubin Guest

    smb <> writes:
    > As impressive as the features are, it appears that Canon has backed
    > down from full frame in their flagship model. Instead, they've added
    > yet another sensor size to their lineup. What are they up to now,
    > four?

    No, still three. This model uses the same 1.3x sensor as the earlier
    versions (EOS-1D and 1D mk II) that it replaces. It would be
    surprising if it did otherwise.

    Paul Rubin, Feb 22, 2007
  10. Lionel

    Skip Guest

    "smb" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:51:19 +1100, Lionel <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 21 Feb 2007 20:26:54 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Bad news for Nikon!

    >>Put it back in your pants, Brett. ;)
    >>

    > I don't know why Brett has such an anti-Nikon personality disorder....
    > was he hit on the head with a big Nikkor when he was a child? :)
    >
    > New improved models come out all the time from both companies. This
    > is Canon's latest gem. It's very impressive for those who need those
    > features. To think it's something that will kill Nikon is a bit
    > naive, we haven't yet seen what their next offering will be.
    >
    > As impressive as the features are, it appears that Canon has backed
    > down from full frame in their flagship model. Instead, they've added
    > yet another sensor size to their lineup. What are they up to now,
    > four?

    They didn't add a sensor size, the 1D has always been 1.3x, so, no, they are
    still at three.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip, Feb 22, 2007
  11. Lionel

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 02:37:32 -0800, wiyum wrote
    (in article <>):

    >> As impressive as the features are, it appears that Canon has backed
    >> down from full frame in their flagship model. Instead, they've added
    >> yet another sensor size to their lineup. What are they up to now,
    >> four?

    > The 1D hasn't been their flagship since the original 1Ds in November
    > of 2002, and it still isn't. The 1D has also always had a 1.3x crop
    > factor, so this isn't a new sensor size, it is the same "third" size
    > it always has been.
    >
    > Will

    However, Canon's web site is calling the 1D III their 'flagship' model.

    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor

    C J Campbell, Feb 22, 2007
  12. Lionel

    Paul Rubin Guest

    C J Campbell <> writes:
    > >> As impressive as the features are, it appears that Canon has backed
    > >> down from full frame in their flagship model.

    No. The old flagship model was the EOS 1D mk II. It was the flagship
    because (it looks like) it had the highest fps of all the models, even
    though it didn't have the most pixels. The new flagship is the EOS 1D
    mk III which has even more fps. The 1DS's had more sensor area and
    more pixels but fewer fps so they were never the flagship. The 1DS is
    a specialty model (the S stands for "studio").

    > However, Canon's web site is calling the 1D III their 'flagship' model.

    They seem to expect that someday all the high end models will have FF
    sensors. Right now though they apparently can't get enough fps from
    the FF sensors to put them in the flagship. So for now, FF is
    reserved for the non-flagship specialty models. Eventually they will
    have an FF camera with 10 fps and that will be the flagship. That is
    probably about the limit to the flapping speed of an SLR mirror so I
    doubt they will get faster than 10 fps staying with the traditional
    instant return design. The live preview in the 1D mk III makes me
    wonder if they're heading towards using an electronic shutter to get
    the fps even higher, maybe even video speed.

    Paul Rubin, Feb 22, 2007
  13. Lionel

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:24:30 -0800, Paul Rubin wrote
    (in article <>):

    > No. The old flagship model was the EOS 1D mk II.

    Just to be clear: I was not the one who said that Canon had backed down. The
    quote is snipped from another post.

    C J Campbell, Feb 22, 2007
  14. Lionel

    jdear64 Guest

    On Feb 22, 9:24 am, Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:

    > No. The old flagship model was the EOS 1D mk II. It was the flagship
    > because (it looks like) it had the highest fps of all the models, even
    > though it didn't have the most pixels. The new flagship is the EOS 1D
    > mk III which has even more fps. The 1DS's had more sensor area and
    > more pixels but fewer fps so they were never the flagship. The 1DS is
    > a specialty model (the S stands for "studio").
    >
    > > However, Canon's web site is calling the 1D III their 'flagship' model.

    > They seem to expect that someday all the high end models will have FF
    > sensors. Right now though they apparently can't get enough fps from
    > the FF sensors to put them in the flagship. So for now, FF is
    > reserved for the non-flagship specialty models.

    Full frame sensors or not has nothing to do with processing speed. It
    could have been a 10MP FF ( LARGE pixels ). Mirror size may slow
    things down a little. I don't know if FF shutter cocking is a speed
    limiter.

    jdear64, Feb 22, 2007
  15. Lionel

    ASAAR Guest

    On 22 Feb 2007 09:24:30 -0800, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    > The live preview in the 1D mk III makes me
    > wonder if they're heading towards using an electronic shutter to get
    > the fps even higher, maybe even video speed.

    Speaking of video speed, did you see the news item about Sony's
    new high speed sensor? The press release starts out by saying:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07021801sonyhighspeedcmos.asp

    ASAAR, Feb 22, 2007
  16. Lionel

    wiyum Guest

    > No. The old flagship model was the EOS 1D mk II. It was the flagship
    > because (it looks like) it had the highest fps of all the models, even
    > though it didn't have the most pixels. The new flagship is the EOS 1D
    > mk III which has even more fps. The 1DS's had more sensor area and
    > more pixels but fewer fps so they were never the flagship. The 1DS is
    > a specialty model (the S stands for "studio").

    I stand duly corrected. My point was that there hasn't been any change
    in approach on Canon's part.

    Will

    wiyum, Feb 23, 2007
  17. Lionel

    timeOday Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > Speaking of video speed, did you see the news item about Sony's
    > new high speed sensor? The press release starts out by saying:
    >
    >> Sony has announced the IMX017CQE high speed 1/1.8" type
    >> CMOS sensor with a resolution of six megapixels (2921 x 2184)
    >> and the ability to output this resolution at 60 frames per second
    >> (a data rate of around 384 megapixels per second). This sensor is
    >> important news both for its seamless transition between video
    >> capture and still capture and for the fact that it's a CMOS sensor
    >> of the 1/1.8" type, a rare thing indeed. In addition to its impressive
    >> full resolution 60 frames per second this sensor can also deliver
    >> 300 frames per second at lower resolutions. Because of its design
    >> this sensor can be used to capture full resolution stills during video
    >> capture without any dropped frames.

    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07021801sonyhighspeedcmos.asp

    Man would I love to get my hands on that for filming action shots. Lots
    of framerate for slow-mo, plenty of resolution for digital zooming and
    heavy-duty image stabilization in postprocessing.

    timeOday, Feb 23, 2007
  18. Lionel

    smb Guest

    On 22 Feb 2007 02:37:32 -0800, "wiyum" <> wrote:

    >> As impressive as the features are, it appears that Canon has backed
    >> down from full frame in their flagship model. Instead, they've added
    >> yet another sensor size to their lineup. What are they up to now,
    >> four?

    >The 1D hasn't been their flagship since the original 1Ds in November
    >of 2002, and it still isn't. The 1D has also always had a 1.3x crop
    >factor, so this isn't a new sensor size, it is the same "third" size
    >it always has been.

    You're correct, of course. There was just a wee bit of sarcasm in my
    statement. My obscured point was that their latest "best" camera
    isn't going to be FF.

    Steve

    smb, Feb 23, 2007
  19. "jdear64" <> writes:

    > Full frame sensors or not has nothing to do with processing speed.
    > It could have been a 10MP FF ( LARGE pixels ). Mirror size may slow
    > things down a little. I don't know if FF shutter cocking is a speed
    > limiter.

    Read the white paper. A 1.3 chip is the largest that can be made in a
    single exposure. I suspect this will change in the future.

    It also makes a 20-22MP new Ds a no brainer prediction, along with an
    `improved' 5Dn

    Paul Repacholi, Feb 23, 2007
  20. Lionel

    jdear64 Guest

    On Feb 23, 7:53 am, Paul Repacholi <> wrote:
    > "jdear64" <> writes:
    > > Full frame sensors or not has nothing to do with processing speed.
    > > It could have been a 10MP FF ( LARGE pixels ). Mirror size may slow
    > > things down a little. I don't know if FF shutter cocking is a speed
    > > limiter.

    > Read the white paper. A 1.3 chip is the largest that can be made in a
    > single exposure.

    And what in the heck does a stepper field size ( litho process ) have
    to do with frames per second of a DSLR?

    And yes, I did read the white paper and it said nothing about sensor
    size contributing to FPS.

    jdear64, Feb 23, 2007