Re: Cannot work with my own files after system change (XP Pro SP3)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fixfox, Mar 22, 2010.

  1. fixfox

    fixfox Guest

    On 22 Mrz., 17:54, BoaterDave <> wrote:
    > On Mar 22, 4:08 pm, "Shenan Stanley" <> wrote:
    >

    > > <snipped>http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security.homeusers/br...

    > > drivesmecrazy wrote:
    > > > pls help me first before you eat each other up. Idiots are to be
    > > > found in any part of the world so in every forum as well - that was
    > > > nothing but a itchy bromide ...  ;-)

    > > > Formating all hard disks destroys my files the other way round - so
    > > > what would this remedy help? The system is okay - the FILES are
    > > > somehow stained, and as my whole work of the last years is in
    > > > there, I would give anything to save them.

    > > > I did not know there is a certificate. Last autumn, I changed my
    > > > audio recording PC from 2k to XP and also kept my identity and
    > > > there was (at least) no problem with my files. So I never expected
    > > > a problem in that direction.

    > > > I just tried to read my backup copies on this other PC. Its
    > > > explorer seems to like colours and made every blocked file and
    > > > folder green. All the same, by giving rights to EVERYBODY I could
    > > > manage to blacken all the folders which contain subfolders but no
    > > > file and no folder which contains only files.

    > > > Then I connected my disk with my ibook which showed a shamefully
    > > > loyal behaviour towards Win files.  :-(
    > > > It would not open them either but said that the file might be
    > > > spoiled.

    > > > Could the files be opened if I reinstall Win 2 K? As all my files
    > > > outside of "my documents" are accessible, I could store all inside
    > > > files outside and make new backups to the other PC and get them
    > > > back from there? Could I?

    > > > Well, this evening, I will try to read my backup files on my
    > > > friend's PC which works on LINUX and gives a d... for rights
    > > > management. Hopefully, it will behave loyal to ME.

    > > Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
    > > titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
    > > *will take time
    > > (** Ignore the last step - you said you have SP3.)

    > > You should add a couple of additional lines to the script...

    > > subinacl /subdirectories E: /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    > > subinacl /subdirectories M: /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f

    > > Then run it.

    > > --
    > > Shenan Stanley
    > >      MS-MVP
    > > --
    > > How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    > Now *that* seems as if it may be helpful!
    >
    > Thanks,  Shenan :)
    >
    > Any idea what the OP means by "a itchy bromide"?  I was trying to get
    > him some help!
    >
    > --
    > Dave - crosspost to 24hoursupport.helpdesk reinstated

    Hi Dave, I did not mean the bromide being itchy to me. I just meant
    that you wanted to tease those group members a bit with a common
    wisdom which should not hurt. Besides I am very grateful you asked
    them. And I am not a he, I am a she.
    Regards
    Luise

    fixfox, Mar 22, 2010

  2. fixfox

    fixfox Guest

    On 22 Mrz., 21:10, ~BD~ <.> wrote:
    > fixfox wrote:
    > > Hi Dave, I did not mean the bromide being itchy to me. I just meant
    > > that you wanted to tease those group members a bit with a common
    > > wisdom which should not hurt. Besides I am very grateful you asked
    > > them. And I am not a he, I am a she.
    > > Regards
    > > Luise

    > Hello, Luise :)
    >
    > Thanks for that. There are no hard feelings!
    >
    > I suspected that English might not be your first language and simply
    > tried to expand the number of people who might be in a position to help you.
    >
    > I do hope you succeed in your task.
    >
    > Good luck!

    oh yes, I got a very promising help from Shenan, but the method
    failed, too. The system is still poking its tongue at me.
    It is of no use to be the very owner of your car - if it has no door,
    you can't open it unless with an axe.
    I need a hacker with a very sharp axe!!!!!!!!!!

    I put this at the end of my thread in order to let all your clever
    folk know that this riddle is not yet solved.

    fixfox, Mar 22, 2010

  3. fixfox

    fixfox Guest

    On 23 Mrz., 01:26, ~BD~ <.> wrote:
    > fixfox wrote:

    > >> Hello, Luise :)

    > >> Thanks for that. There are no hard feelings!

    > >> I suspected that English might not be your first language and simply
    > >> tried to expand the number of people who might be in a position to help you.

    > >> I do hope you succeed in your task.

    > >> Good luck!

    > > oh yes, I got a very promising help from Shenan, but the method
    > > failed, too. The system is still poking its tongue at me.
    > > It is of no use to be the very owner of your car - if it has no door,
    > > you can't open it unless with an axe.
    > > I need a hacker with a very sharp axe!!!!!!!!!!

    > > I put this at the end of my thread in order to let all your clever
    > > folk know that this riddle is not yet solved.

    > I really appreciate that comment, Luise :)
    >
    > You will have noticed that Mr Lipman feels that I shouldn't attempt to
    > help people such as yourself. I have no wish to irritate him, or anyone
    > else, but he cannot appreciate that there are more ways of tackling a
    > situation than his own blinkered approach.
    >
    > Maybe one of the guys (or gals!) from the 24hr group will come up with a
    > suggestion in due course.
    >
    > I feel your frustration though and am sad that no answer has yet been
    > forthcoming. Stay cheerful - it's only a machine!  :)
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    Yes, a torturing machine! When it behaves recalcitrant.
    But I cannot work without it. And, as everybody knows, Germans live
    for working, logically I cannot live without it. :-( Emercencyyy!
    But anyway, tomorrow is a very busy day and I cannot meet my PC before
    tea time. Hopefully I will find lots and lots of posts from hackers
    and sorcerers ...

    Blinkered is a funny word - never heard or read it, but I like it.

    fixfox, Mar 23, 2010
  4. fixfox

    fixfox Guest

    On 23 Mrz., 09:38, Andy <nospam@> wrote:
    > ~BD~ wrote:
    > > Andy wrote:

    > >> Thanks Dave - it seems the microsoft.* hierachy really is full of
    > >> unhelpful, ignorant, unskilled and rude people.  The 'MVP's are
    > >> particularly stupid.

    > >> 24hoursupport.helpdesk would obviously be a better place to ask for
    > >> assistance.  I'm sure Luise will thank you once she receives a suitable
    > >> solution here.

    > > How nice of you to spend a few moments to scribe those words, Andy.

    > > It's folk like you who restore my faith in my fellow man. Thank *you* :)

    > No problems at all.  I can understand Luise's frustration at the lack of
    > assistance from the horrible Microsoft group.
    >
    > --
    > Usenet Improvement Project:http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

    I am not frustrated at all - you gave me lots of ideas what to do and
    I do not yet feel helpless, that is the most important point! :)

    fixfox, Mar 23, 2010
  5. fixfox

    fixfox Guest

    > You seem to know quite a lot about computers. May I ask what job you do
    > for a living? Is it connected in any way with 'computing?

    Hehe, thanks for the compliment. I am an artist but I work very much
    with my computers and love them - they are my dearest slaves. ;-)
    My husband is software architect but he works very hard and always
    shrugs when I have a "minor" problem with my PCs. Too much expert, you
    know ... ;-) Fortunately, I am intelligent and communicative enough
    to get along independently!!!

    > You might like to restate your problem afresh, as you see it now, and
    > post your enquiry in the 'alt.computer.security' newsgroup.

    Thanks for the hint. For the moment, I have placed an inquiry in the
    Acronis forum and I will see how their clever experts can help me.

    >  From my very limited knowledge, I am convinced that - just as you and I
    > can move data from C: to D: to E: - malware controlled from external
    > sources can do exactly the same thing. Malware can 'hide'- I believe -
    > on D: and E: whilst you reinstall on C: ...... and then pop back to bite
    > you! You really need, IMO, to delete all partitions (and data) before
    > effecting a clean install.

    Yes I know, but I had googled very intensely about this trojan
    (therefore I could kill it off for good so very fast - some people
    never get rid of it) and read everywhere that it only affects C: And
    nowhere I read that it did damage on files, specially by encrypting
    them (In this case, it would be called a virus). It slows down CPUs,
    but it did not even dwell in my shell long enough to start that.
    And it is absolutely impossible that this annoyance (classified by
    Avira as "not very dangerous" and by Kaspersky as so unimportant that
    it doesnt even list it, only people who get money for their help
    classify every malware as very dangerous) that this trojan would have
    been so modest to affect only my personal files inside "my documents".
    I have hundreds of files in other folders, and thousands of files on
    my external harddisk - they are not encrypted. So I came to the
    resolution that I must have been that headless virus myself. So I
    shook my alzheimerbrain very thoroughly and got a faint memory that I
    once encrypted my personal files I don't know why. The wicked system
    did not tell me that I would have to store my certificate or else I
    would surely have done it. I am a security fan.

    Well, I have always been a lucky dog, so in this very important matter
    I hope that all I will have lost in the end will be my precious time.
    There's an image in the darkness ...

    So long
    Luise

    fixfox, Mar 23, 2010
  6. "fixfox" <> wrote in message

    Thanks for the hint. For the moment, I have placed an inquiry in the
    Acronis forum and I will see how their clever experts can help me.

    ***
    I think you are on the right track now. Acronis images are browseable
    and folks at their forum may be able to walk you through the process.

    Might be easier just to reload the image, logon, and decrypt from there
    though. Good luck.
    ***

    FromTheRafters, Mar 23, 2010
  7. "fixfox" <> wrote in message

    ....nowhere I read that it did damage on files, specially by encrypting
    them (In this case, it would be called a virus).

    ***
    It would be called a virus if it replicated via infection. If it was a
    virus, and also encrypted your files, it would be an instance of
    cryptovirology *and* ransomware if it wanted payment for the decryption
    key.
    ***

    [...]

    The wicked system
    did not tell me that I would have to store my certificate or else I
    would surely have done it. I am a security fan.

    ***
    IIRC W2K's EFS, by default, assigns the administrator as a recovery
    agent (sort of like a backup key). but gives no warning to the user
    about the importance of key backup. Vista and beyond do *not* assign a
    recovery agent by default, but do advise the user about key backup.
    ***

    [...]

    FromTheRafters, Mar 23, 2010
  8. fixfox

    fixfox Guest

    On 23 Mrz., 21:14, "FromTheRafters" <> wrote:
    > "fixfox" <> wrote in message

    > ...nowhere I read that it did damage on files, specially by encrypting
    > them (In this case, it would be called a virus).
    >
    > ***
    > It would be called a virus if it replicated via infection. If it was a
    > virus, and also encrypted your files, it would be an instance of
    > cryptovirology *and* ransomware if it wanted payment for the decryption
    > key.
    > ***
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > The wicked system
    > did not tell me that I would have to store my certificate or else I
    > would surely have done it. I am a security fan.
    >
    > ***
    > IIRC W2K's EFS, by default, assigns the administrator as a recovery
    > agent (sort of like a backup key). but gives no warning to the user
    > about the importance of key backup. Vista and beyond do *not* assign a
    > recovery agent by default, but do advise the user about key backup.
    > ***
    >
    > [...]

    Thank you for the extra workshop. Expert contra common
    imprecision! ;-)
    Why can't Microsoft give an warning AND assign an recovery agent? Art
    lives on gaps, but technique should not.

    fixfox, Mar 23, 2010
  9. fixfox

    fixfox Guest

    On 23 Mrz., 23:52, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~>
    wrote:
    > From: "FromTheRafters" <>
    >
    > | "fixfox" <> wrote in message

    > | ...nowhere I read that it did damage on files, specially by encrypting
    > | them (In this case, it would be called a virus).
    >
    > | ***
    > | It would be called a virus if it replicated via infection. If it was a
    > | virus, and also encrypted your files, it would be an instance of
    > | cryptovirology *and* ransomware if it wanted payment for the decryption
    > | key.
    > | ***
    >
    > | [...]
    >
    > | The wicked system
    > | did not tell me that I would have to store my certificate or else I
    > | would surely have done it. I am a security fan.
    >
    > | ***
    > | IIRC W2K's EFS, by default, assigns the administrator as a recovery
    > | agent (sort of like a backup key). but gives no warning to the user
    > | about the importance of key backup. Vista and beyond do *not* assign a
    > | recovery agent by default, but do advise the user about key backup.
    > | ***
    >
    > | [...]
    >
    > Trojans employong cryptovirology have yet to use EFS to encrypt users data
    > for ransom.  They use their own encryption engine.
    >
    > Example:  GPCode
    >
    > --
    > Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    > Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

    Hi David,
    your very little remark about encryption was the clue. I suited my
    intuition and so I followed that trace - and luckily I could get back
    the keys from my old C: image and an almost hopeless venture went
    well.

    Hi everybody, thank you for your help. My problem ist SOLVED. Every
    single little file is decrypted! The sun shines bright in the middle
    of the night, I could sing and dance. I did not only have the almost
    forgotten image but also found a very good software (almost the only
    one that exists for that purpose) following a link from one of you. It
    finds even deleted keys and all the green files in a very short time
    and repairs the lot of 15 GB within half an hour. It is called
    Advanced EFS Data Recovery, I don't know if I am allowed to tell you
    the publisher here, but you can google.
    Well, my ignorance cost me 150 EURO :-( but sometimes we have to learn
    something the hard way. At least, I don't waste time any more and have
    saved a ten years' work and that makes me infinitely glad.
    So long
    Luise

    fixfox, Mar 24, 2010
  10. fixfox

    fixfox Guest

    On 23 Mrz., 21:40, ~BD~ <> wrote:
    > fixfox wrote:
    > > Hehe, thanks for the compliment.

    > You are welcome!
    >
    >   I am an artist but I work very much
    >
    > > with my computers and love them - they are my dearest slaves.;-)

    > Ah! Interesting. Do you have a website displaying your work?
    >
    > > My husband is software architect but he works very hard and always
    > > shrugs when I have a "minor" problem with my PCs. Too much expert, you
    > > know ...;-)

    > My wife rarely asks *me* anything nowadays! I expect your man has told
    > you much - but you've not listened!!!
    >
    > > Fortunately, I am intelligent and communicative enough to get along independently!!!

    > I'm *very* impressed! I'm sure you'll succeed in your task. :)
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    Hi Dave, just a little link for your nosy nose:

    www.frafithe.de

    You may have read it in my previous post, I am finished :D
    Full success, a whole army of files saved.
    I go and drink champaign now and then have the first sound sleep for
    days.
    Luise

    fixfox, Mar 24, 2010
  11. "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    > From: "FromTheRafters" <>
    >
    > | "fixfox" <> wrote in message

    > | ...nowhere I read that it did damage on files, specially by
    > encrypting
    > | them (In this case, it would be called a virus).
    >
    > | ***
    > | It would be called a virus if it replicated via infection. If it was
    > | virus, and also encrypted your files, it would be an instance of
    > | cryptovirology *and* ransomware if it wanted payment for the
    > decryption
    > | key.
    > | ***
    >
    > | [...]
    >
    > | The wicked system
    > | did not tell me that I would have to store my certificate or else I
    > | would surely have done it. I am a security fan.
    >
    > | ***
    > | IIRC W2K's EFS, by default, assigns the administrator as a recovery
    > | agent (sort of like a backup key). but gives no warning to the user
    > | about the importance of key backup. Vista and beyond do *not* assign
    > | recovery agent by default, but do advise the user about key backup.
    > | ***
    >
    > | [...]
    >

    > Trojans employong cryptovirology have yet to use EFS to encrypt users
    > data for ransom. They use their own encryption engine.
    >
    > Example: GPCode

    Yes, I was more opposed to her thinking that the amount of damage (or
    encryption) is what makes the thing a virus. The rest contained good
    search words for an understanding of virus+crypto+criminal activities.

    FromTheRafters, Mar 24, 2010
  12. "fixfox" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    ....way. At least, I don't waste time any more and have
    saved a ten years' work and that makes me infinitely glad.
    So long
    Luise

    ***
    Glad it all worked out, and you have yourself to thank for making the
    backup image(s)

    I don't suppose you will be forgetting to back up the key (certificate)
    this time?
    ***

    FromTheRafters, Mar 24, 2010
  13. fixfox

    fixfox Guest

    On 24 Mrz., 03:11, "FromTheRafters" <> wrote:
    > "fixfox" <> wrote in message

    > [...]
    >
    > ...way. At least, I don't waste time any more and have
    > saved a ten years' work and that makes me infinitely glad.
    > So long
    > Luise
    >
    > ***
    > Glad it all worked out, and you have yourself to thank for making the
    > backup image(s)
    >
    > I don't suppose you will be forgetting to back up the key (certificate)
    > this time?
    > ***

    THE key??? You are kidding! My system found about 30 keys, and there
    is never another user than myself! And there was never a warning. Did
    I have to fuddle for new certificates every day? I am fed up with
    this, you will certainly understand. This system creates certificates
    whenever it is in the mood! I am just unchecking "encryption" on the
    whole lot of own documents. My machine is rattling for all the
    inheritances ... never again!

    fixfox, Mar 24, 2010
  14. fixfox

    fixfox Guest

    On 24 Mrz., 08:50, ~BD~ <> wrote:
    > fixfox wrote:

    > >> You are welcome!

    > >>    I am an artist but I work very much

    > >> Ah! Interesting. Do you have a website displaying your work?

    > >> My wife rarely asks *me* anything nowadays! I expect your man has told
    > >> you much - but you've not listened!!!

    > >> I'm *very* impressed! I'm sure you'll succeed in your task. :)

    > >> --
    > >> Dave

    > > Hi Dave, just a little link for your nosy nose:

    > >www.frafithe.de

    > > You may have read it in my previous post, I am finished  :D
    > > Full success, a whole army of files saved.
    > > I go and drink champagne now and then have the first sound sleep for
    > > days.
    > > Luise

    > Yes - fantastic news, Luise! Congratulations! :)
    >
    > I suppose success was inevitable considering that not only are you
    > German, but a red-head and a teacher too! It has been good to meet you.
    >
    > Perhaps your next task should be to adjust your amazing website so that
    > it may be read in the English language too! Regardless, thank you so
    > much for sharing.
    >
    > May God Bless you, Mrs. Wulle!
    >
    > Dave

    oh, teacher? That was long ago. Mrs. Wulle is right, haha. Many
    children call me so.

    fixfox, Mar 24, 2010