Re: Cannot reboot my windows 98 !

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. NZed wrote:

    > Something has upset the drivers for the CD as the CD wont work.

    >>Why not try addressing the problem first, reinstalling is rarely
    >>necessary. Immediate assumption is you've installed the wrong video
    >>drivers so try uninstalling the display adaptor from device manager or
    >>changing back to the old drivers.

    But you were in safe mode, and it doesnt load atapi support in safe mode of
    windows 98 etc.

    Go into safe mode,

    Go to device manager,

    remove your display adaptor

    reboot

    Windows will install the right driver
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    NZed Guest

    how do I reinstall the CD drivers ...in safe mode it wont allow me

    NZed, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    step Guest

    "> how do I reinstall the CD drivers ...in safe mode it wont allow me

    when you reboot it will 'Find new hardware' and ask for the drivers
    step, Jul 14, 2003
  4. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    pete Guest

    "step" <> wrote in message

    > "> how do I reinstall the CD drivers ...in safe mode it wont allow me
    >
    > when you reboot it will 'Find new hardware' and ask for the drivers

    If you have the Win98 startup diskette (ie the one you should have made
    while the system was still operational :) )
    That has all the CD drivers on it. Alternatively find a friend with W98 and
    make an startup diskette (start -> settings -> control panel -> add/remove
    programs ->startup disk ) Boot from this and the CD will (should) be
    accessible.

    As long as you're messing about, copy the win98 folder from the CD to your
    hard drive. Then run install from there.
    pete, Jul 15, 2003