Re: Cannot install Windows Scripting Engine v5.6 - WSHOM.OCX freezes the system

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    No mention of what operating system!

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

    Windows 2000?
    http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=813
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;245254

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:48:42 +0200, in
    <>
    se scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 13, 2003

  2. °Mike°

    Guest

    , Aug 13, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:57:44 +0100, °Mike° <> wrote:

    >Try unregistering the existing wshom.ocx before updating on the server.
    >
    >Start / Run ...
    >
    >regsvr32 /u wshom.ocx

    Did it. I get this error:

    " LoadLibray("wshom.ocx") failed.
    GetLastError retruns 0x00000485 "

    >Then rename wshom.ocx to wshom.old

    No such file ;-)

    Should there be one, anyway?

    >And make sure you have downloaded the *correct* OS version.

    Yes, it is the correct version.

    Thanks for your help so far ;-)

    , Aug 20, 2003
  4. °Mike°

    Guest

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:54:40 +0100, °Mike° <> wrote:

    >Yes, it is part of your Windows install. I am at a loss as to why
    >installing the update is freezing, unless there is some sort of
    >hardware or driver conflict going on. Have you tried scrapping
    >the download, and downloading a fresh copy? Also, do you

    Will do that.

    >have any other problems on this box - ANY at all?

    - any software install wil - after reboot - end up with a display driver error,
    ending up with a messed up system. I tested the memory last week a full
    night, and it reported that the memory is ok (someone mentioned the
    memorychips could be the cause of all problems)

    - system will often not shut down properly, hanging on a black screen, the
    cursor blinking

    - Windows Update is not possible (anymore)

    Especially that display driver error annoys me, cause I could not fix it, or
    deduce the origin of Bill Gates' wonderfull and intruiging product ... ;-)

    Is there a utulity that will write a logfile of any file-actiosn in the system,
    so finding out where things come to a halt?

    System has been scanned and tested with any utility possible (Symantec, Ontrack
    System Suite, Sisoft Sandra) but I can't find anything.

    Mind you, this started happening sometime, it used to function properly. My
    feeling it is not a hardware failure but a software failure. But that's juts a
    feeling ... ;-)

    , Aug 21, 2003
  5. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:21:56 +0200, in
    <>
    se scrawled:

    >On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:54:40 +0100, °Mike° <> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, it is part of your Windows install. I am at a loss as to why
    >>installing the update is freezing, unless there is some sort of
    >>hardware or driver conflict going on. Have you tried scrapping
    >>the download, and downloading a fresh copy? Also, do you

    >Will do that.
    >
    >>have any other problems on this box - ANY at all?

    >- any software install wil - after reboot - end up with a display driver error,
    > ending up with a messed up system. I tested the memory last week a full
    > night, and it reported that the memory is ok (someone mentioned the
    > memorychips could be the cause of all problems)
    >
    >- system will often not shut down properly, hanging on a black screen, the
    > cursor blinking
    >
    >- Windows Update is not possible (anymore)
    >
    >Especially that display driver error annoys me, cause I could not fix it, or
    >deduce the origin of Bill Gates' wonderfull and intruiging product ... ;-)
    >
    >Is there a utulity that will write a logfile of any file-actiosn in the system,
    >so finding out where things come to a halt?
    >
    >System has been scanned and tested with any utility possible (Symantec, Ontrack
    >System Suite, Sisoft Sandra) but I can't find anything.
    >
    >Mind you, this started happening sometime, it used to function properly. My
    >feeling it is not a hardware failure but a software failure. But that's juts a
    >feeling ... ;-)

    It sounds like your system is pretty messed up, over all. I also
    suspect that your system is not being maintained properly.
    My suggestion is that you (temporarily, at least), install Windows
    into another folder, and keep it slimline - install *only* those
    applications that you absolutely need. See how that goes for
    a while.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 21, 2003