Re: Cannot find server (Upon entering an invalid address)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, May 24, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    John R. Baker wrote:
    > If I accidentally have a typo in a web address that I enter, I get a
    > "Cannot find server" error in my broswer. (I'm currently running
    > Internet Explorer 8 on Windows Vista Ultimate.)

    I try to avoid ever typing in the address line; preferring to click an
    address in. That way you don't get typos.

    > I would like to get a warning, with the offending address still in the
    > IE8 address bar. I can usually spot my typo, and a quick correction,
    > and then re-request the desired page.

    The first thing that has to happen is that your nameserver resolves the
    site's name into an IP. There are tools which show you that process
    happening, but your browser doesn't.

    > Now, however, the address bar changes over to
    > http://wwww33.not-found-entry.org/search?qg=..., folowed by a text
    > string. The body of the displayed page shows a Yahoo! SEARCH page. It
    > says "Did You Mean:" followed by one or more "suggestions".

    What is your nameserver? It must be sending you to that page similar to
    the way my nameserver opendns sends me to a page of suggestions.
    Earthlink's nameservers also send one to an advertiser's page. I didn't
    like that so I switched.

    > I want to DISABLE this supposed "help" and revert to the OLD way of

    just
    > displaying a warning, and allowing me to edit my mis-spelling.

    Change your nameservice.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 24, 2009

  2. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message news:...
    > John R. Baker wrote:
    >> If I accidentally have a typo in a web address that I enter, I get a
    >> "Cannot find server" error in my broswer. (I'm currently running
    >> Internet Explorer 8 on Windows Vista Ultimate.)

    > I try to avoid ever typing in the address line; preferring to click an
    > address in. That way you don't get typos.
    >
    >> I would like to get a warning, with the offending address still in the
    >> IE8 address bar. I can usually spot my typo, and a quick correction,
    >> and then re-request the desired page.

    > The first thing that has to happen is that your nameserver resolves the
    > site's name into an IP. There are tools which show you that process
    > happening, but your browser doesn't.
    >
    >> Now, however, the address bar changes over to
    >> http://wwww33.not-found-entry.org/search?qg=..., folowed by a text
    >> string. The body of the displayed page shows a Yahoo! SEARCH page. It
    >> says "Did You Mean:" followed by one or more "suggestions".

    > What is your nameserver? It must be sending you to that page similar to
    > the way my nameserver opendns sends me to a page of suggestions.
    > Earthlink's nameservers also send one to an advertiser's page. I didn't
    > like that so I switched.
    >
    >> I want to DISABLE this supposed "help" and revert to the OLD way of

    > just
    >> displaying a warning, and allowing me to edit my mis-spelling.

    > Change your nameservice.

    The OP can't even control his own browser! What makes you think he even knows what a fucking nameservice is?

    J¡m ßéâñ, May 24, 2009

  3. Mike Easter wrote:

    > John R. Baker wrote:
    >> If I accidentally have a typo in a web address that I enter, I get a
    >> "Cannot find server" error in my broswer. (I'm currently running
    >> Internet Explorer 8 on Windows Vista Ultimate.)

    > I try to avoid ever typing in the address line; preferring to click an
    > address in. That way you don't get typos.

    In particular, when you receive that friendly mail from your bank requesting
    you to enter all your account data and the pincode "because something
    happened at their site" ...
    The problem is, links can display anything but lead you elsewhere ...

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 24, 2009
  4. Mike Easter

    John Holmes Guest

    J¡m ßéâñ "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > The OP can't even control his own browser! What makes you think he
    > even knows what a fucking nameservice is?

    Please ignore Mike Easter and Evan Platt. They never come up with
    solutions. The only thing they do is ask which OS the OP is using, that
    obviously, can be retrieved from th OP's poasting headers.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, May 24, 2009
  5. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> I try to avoid ever typing in the address line; preferring to click

    an
    >> address in. That way you don't get typos.
    >>

    > In particular, when you receive that friendly mail from your bank
    > requesting you to enter all your account data and the pincode "because
    > something happened at their site" ...

    Very funny. I also don't open my spam, or even let it get into my Inbox
    with goodmail.

    > The problem is, links can display anything but lead you elsewhere ...

    I also don't render html email except under very limited and specific
    conditions.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 24, 2009