Re: Cannot find server (Upon entering an invalid address)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, May 24, 2009.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 24 May 2009 15:18:38 -0500, "John R. Baker"
    <> wrote:

    >If I accidentally have a typo in a web address that I enter, I get a "Cannot
    >find server" error in my broswer. (I'm currently running Internet Explorer
    >8 on Windows Vista Ultimate.)
    >
    >I would like to get a warning, with the offending address still in the IE8
    >address bar. I can usually spot my typo, and a quick correction, and then
    >re-request the desired page.
    >
    >Now, however, the address bar changes over to
    >http://wwww33.not-found-entry.org/search?qg=..., folowed by a text string.
    >The body of the displayed page shows a Yahoo! SEARCH page. It says "Did You
    >Mean:" followed by one or more "suggestions".
    >
    >I want to DISABLE this supposed "help" and revert to the OLD way of just
    >displaying a warning, and allowing me to edit my mis-spelling.
    >
    >How can I make this change?

    Let me guess - you're in the Kentucky Area, right? Or at least using
    Insight Broadband?

    Your ISP seems to think you want to see an advertising page instead.

    http://www.consuminglouisville.com/2007/12/getting-www33notfoundentryorg.php

    PS: Chucktard will be telling you to scan your computer for malware /
    virii. Ignore him.

    Dan C. will be telling you to format your hard drive. Ignore him.
    Evan Platt, May 24, 2009

  2. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 24 May 2009 16:00:27 -0500, "John R. Baker"
    <> wrote:

    >YES !!!
    >
    >I'm in Northwestern Kentucky, and my ISP is InsightBB.
    >
    >I checked out
    >http://www.consuminglouisville.com/2007/12/getting-www33notfoundentryorg.php
    >and that seems to be right on the mark!
    >
    >Here's a quote from the article:
    >
    >====================
    >General Instructions for Windows Users
    >Go to Control Panel >Network Connections and select your local network.
    >Click Properties, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    >Click Properties.
    >Select "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter the desired DNS
    >servers in the spaces. The two I'm using are 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.
    >====================
    >
    >In my Windows Vista Ultimate PC, however, I'm having a little trouble with
    >the above instructions, specifically:
    >
    >"Control Panel >Network Connections and select your local network"
    >
    >I'll keep trying, though!

    Looks like this is it. Don't have Vista so can't confirm..

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/e070bf7b-6d5e-4f49-b4f7-10aa8d8b11e21033.mspx
    Evan Platt, May 24, 2009

  3. Evan Platt

    Mike Easter Guest

    John R. Baker wrote:

    > In my Windows Vista Ultimate PC, however, I'm having a little trouble
    > with the above instructions, specifically:

    In Vista open help, type 'dns' into the search space, select the item
    'change dns settings' and follow the instructions.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 24, 2009
  4. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 24 May 2009 16:26:43 -0500, "John R. Baker"
    <> wrote:

    >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >Yes again. I came across those settings. I'm just not sure if I should
    >change the settings for:
    > Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) or
    > Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or
    > BOTH v6 and v4 or
    > If it makes any difference as long as I change at least one of
    >them.

    You're likely using IPV4, so just change that.

    >I'm not sure what is the downside of changeing it away from "Obtain DNS
    >server address automatically".

    You'll be using a different set of DNS servers - these are the servers
    that essentially tell your computer where to locate a specifc server.
    >I think I'm going to contact InsightBB technical support and ask if they can
    >DISABLE that change for my account. I guess they'll probably say "No Can
    >Do!"

    Unless they maintain another set of DNS servers, no. But since the
    'feature' of going to that search page is made on the DNS side, no
    matter what, you'll need to change DNS servers. Whether it's to the
    ones I provided earlier or another set for Insight.
    Evan Platt, May 24, 2009