Re: Cannot find server (Upon entering an invalid address)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, May 24, 2009.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    John R. Baker wrote:

    > If I accidentally have a typo in a web address that I enter, I get a
    > "Cannot find server" error in my broswer. (I'm currently running
    > Internet Explorer 8 on Windows Vista Ultimate.)
    >
    > I would like to get a warning, with the offending address still in
    > the IE8 address bar. I can usually spot my typo, and a quick
    > correction, and then re-request the desired page.
    >
    > Now, however, the address bar changes over to
    > http://wwww33.not-found-entry.org/search?qg=..., folowed by a text
    > string.

    That's something added by some search engine that you added to IE8 and
    decided to have it optioned to provide their own info. IE8 leaves the
    bad URL in the AddressBar.

    > The body of the displayed page shows a Yahoo! SEARCH page.

    Bingo! There's the search engine that you choose to install into IE8.
    The behavior you see is what this thing does, not what IE8 does.
    Uninstall the toolbar or look at its options to see if you can disable
    using it to provide a search when a site cannot be found.

    > I want to DISABLE this supposed "help" and revert to the OLD way of
    > just displaying a warning, and allowing me to edit my mis-spelling.

    There can't be that many options that it would take more than 10
    minutes to read through them. You could read their web help pages at
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/toolbar/toolbar8/index.html but I
    would think the option would be obvious. In Google's Toolbar, it's
    called something like Search By Name (i.e., if you enter an invalid
    URL, their toolbar will do a Google search to find something similar).
    In Yahoo's Toolbar, it's probably the Search Suggestions helping you in
    a way that you don't want.

    Um, you do realize that their version of Yahoo Toolbar for IE8
    compatibility is *beta*, right?

    VanguardLH, May 24, 2009