Re: Cannot connect to IE6.01 using NetGear wireless card

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by PA Bear, May 16, 2007.

  1. PA Bear

    PA Bear Guest

    Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless newsgroup for
    further assistance via crosspost.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

    PA Bear, May 16, 2007

  2. PA Bear

    Lem Guest

    "IE6 won't connect" sounds to me as if you are not getting an Internet
    connection.

    There are several possible reasons for this. For example, there may be
    a problem either in the router itself or in your connection to the
    router. That's why Robear asked what happens if you connect directly to
    your cable or DSL modem without using the router. The comment "the PC
    Administrator's that connects directly, bypassing the modem...." isn't
    clear. What do you mean?

    What happens if you connect one of the computers to the WRT54GS (or your
    new router) using an Ethernet cable rather than wifi? If this works, it
    would at least eliminate numerous wifi-related issues.

    In any event, however, the description of your difficulties happening
    "one by one" to several laptops connected to your LAN suggests that you
    may have a malware infestation of some type that has spread across your
    LAN. See MS-MVP's Malke's excellent advice:

    Once you are sure that you have (at least one) computer that is malware
    free, see
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html

    If your XP laptops are updated to service pack 2, I suggest starting
    with method 6, followed by method 9, followed by method 3, and then the
    rest (until things work).

    PA Bear wrote:
    > Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless newsgroup for
    > further assistance via crosspost.

    > jcwinters wrote:
    >> Windows versions in use: ThinkPad - Win2000; Sony & DELL - WinXP.
    >> IE6 won't connect....
    >> the PC Administrator's that connects directly, bypassing the modem....
    >>
    >> the problem is somewhat a new problem...for years we connected to a LinkSys
    >> router with NO problems....approximately 3 weeks ago one by one each laptop
    >> began to have problems...finally last weekend I bought a new, more improved
    >> router to no avail.
    >>
    >> I hope that this helps you, HELP me!
    >>
    >> "PA Bear" wrote:
    >>> Windows version?
    >>>
    >>> IE6 won't open or it won't connect? Assuming the latter, will IE connect
    >>> if any of the machines are connected directly to the modem (i.e.,
    >>> bypassing the router altogether)?
    >>>
    >>> Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one? Have any of the machines
    >>> ever been able to connect wirelessly? ...using this router?
    >>> --
    >>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >>> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
    >>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, May 16, 2007

  3. Hi
    If I.E6 does not start at all try this process,
    http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
    If I.E. starts but does not open the Internet home page it might be that you
    do not have a viable Wireless connection (even if it says somewhere that you
    are connected).
    To make sure that you actually have a Wireless connection to the Router,
    start I.E. and type the local IP of the Router's menu system.
    Linksys default IP is usually http://192.168.1.1
    If you can not connect via I.E6 to the Router check your basic Wireless
    settings, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 17, 2007