Re: Cannot clear ARP cache

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by RickMerrill, Jan 29, 2009.

  1. RickMerrill

    RickMerrill Guest

    Smirnoff wrote:
    > A friend asked me to check out his computer (XP, SP3) as he could no
    > longer access the internet.
    >
    > Most of his Anti-malware programs were out of date, so I downloaded the
    > current definition updates on my machine (also new programs like
    > SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot S&D), saved them to disc and installed on
    > his machine.
    >
    > Each found loads of malware and I continued running them until all
    > reported a clean bill of health.

    Inadequate: run MalWareByte's AntiMalware.

    > Connected my Ethernet cable to his machine and LAN showed as
    > "connected". However, I still couldn't browse (with IE7 or Firefox).

    Did you do the 1-minute drill? (un-power ALL; pwr up modem & wait 1
    min.; power up router & wait 1; power up computer)
    RickMerrill, Jan 29, 2009

  2. RickMerrill

    VanguardLH Guest

    Smirnoff wrote:

    > "Smirnoff" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Smirnoff" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "RickMerrill" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, tried that.
    >>>
    >>> However, will also try MalWareByte. Seems more and more people are
    >>> recommending it. Thanks
    >>>

    >> Seems I may have found the problem explained in this link:
    >>
    >> http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/389044/
    >>
    >> Each time IE7 starts the Home Page url starts:
    >>
    >> http://go.etc
    >>
    >> Obviously I won't put the full address in.
    >>
    >> I have had a bit more luck trying to get into Safe mode, in that I can
    >> now see the option for it BUT the up /down arrows don't work!!!!
    >>

    > Finally managed to clear/fix locked URL address.
    >
    > BT Hub shows friend's computer as connected.
    >
    > Friend's computer (XP Home, SP3):
    >
    > All anti-nasty programmes report clean bill of health.
    >
    > No conflict in Device Manager (updated driver for SiS NIC card - This
    > device is working properly).
    >
    > LAN connection enabled and can repair without problem to flush DNS etc.
    >
    > Status of LAN - OK (packets being sent/received).
    >
    > When told "IE cannot display this page....", I run diagnostic and am
    > told "Windows did not find a problem with this connection".
    >
    > Have also tried disabling anti-virus, all anti-nasty programmes and
    > firewall.
    >
    > Have reset IE7 options. All privacy and security option are "Default".
    >
    > Still can't can't connect to internet.

    But you did say before that you could connect the problematic host to
    the router's internal web server to look at the router's settings. That
    means the host can do networking correctly.

    What happens when you use an IP address in the URL instead of an IP
    name? Instead of going to a site by its IP name, use its IP address.
    If that works, maybe you have a DNS problem.

    In a DOS shell, can you "ping www.yahoo.com"? If that doesn't work, can
    you "ping 69.147.76.15"? If the first fails but the 2nd works, you have
    a DNS problem.

    Did you ever check the TCP/IP settings for the LAN connectoid? Is the
    host using dynamic addressing (DHCP) or static addressing? If static,
    the DNS server(s) must be specified (as that would otherwise be provided
    by the DHCP server).

    What happens when you completely bypass the router and connect the
    problematic host directly to your cable modem?
    VanguardLH, Feb 1, 2009