Re: Cannot clear ARP cache

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Jan 28, 2009.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Smirnoff wrote:

    > A friend asked me to check out his computer (XP, SP3) as he could no
    > longer access the internet.
    >
    > Most of his Anti-malware programs were out of date, so I downloaded the
    > current definition updates on my machine (also new programs like
    > SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot S&D), saved them to disc and installed on
    > his machine.
    >
    > Each found loads of malware and I continued running them until all
    > reported a clean bill of health.
    >
    > Connected my Ethernet cable to his machine and LAN showed as
    > "connected". However, I still couldn't browse (with IE7 or Firefox).
    >
    > Tried "Repair" and got the error message "Cannot clear ARP cache". Did
    > some checking and the advice was to "Run" :
    >
    > netsh interface ip delete arpcache
    >
    > Tried this a couple of times but the "black" box appeared for a second
    > or two and then closed.
    >
    > Does this need to be run in safe mode? Could some of the anti-nasty
    > programs be blocking it?
    >
    > Or, can anybody please suggest another solution?

    If the LAN connectoid's status is saying your are connected, I'm
    assuming that the Link LED (green) is lit at both ends of the CAT5 cable
    to show a physical hookup.

    The "black box" was the shell used to run the console-mode program. It
    only exists while the program runs and why you see it disappear when it
    exist (so you cannot see any info messages it sent to stdout). You need
    something else to keep the console window open after the program exits.
    That would be the command interpreter. Open a DOS shell (aka Command
    Prompt) or run "cmd.exe". Now you have a console window. Now run the
    'net' command. Since the console window will now remain open, you can
    see the stdout of the program.

    Before clearing the ARP cache, why don't you see if there is anything
    actually cached. Again in the DOS shell, run "arp -a" to see what IP
    and MAC info has been cached.

    If your friend has a router, see if you can connect from the problematic
    host to the router's internal web server (used to access its
    configuration pages). It might be http://192.168.1.1 but read the
    manual for the router to see what it uses as the default (hopefully your
    friend hasn't change the default IP address for the router). If there
    is no router but there is cable modem, try connecting to that. For my
    cable modem, I use http://192.168.100.1/ but you'll have to see what IP
    address your friend's cable modem uses.

    Presumably you have already disabled all software firewalls on your
    friend's host, and also all anti-virus, anti-spam, and anti-malware
    programs. Not just firewalls have firewalling control. Some anti-virus
    and other security products also can restrict network connections (for
    example, I use Avast's Web Shield which lets me block on URLs so I can
    block ads in web pages or other unwanted domains).

    See:

    http://www.manast.com/2007/03/23/rectify-windows-xp-bug-cannot-clear-arp-cache/
    (mine is already configured for Disabled so it's probably the default)

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169790
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067
    (use "arp -d <inetaddr>" to delete entries, if any)

    Have you tried "netsh interface ip reset" yet?
    Have you tried "netsh winsock reset" yet?

    Have you tried releasing all IP binds to the network interface(s) and
    reestablishing them? In a DOS shell, run the commands:
    ipconfig /release *
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew
    Flushing the local DNS cache is optional but I've gotten in the habit of
    including it. Normally it doesn't cause a problem but I've seen some
    users play with the registry settings that retain positive and negative
    DNS results for a l-o-n-g time and I don't want those getting in the way
    of solving a web site connect problem. Releasing and renewing the IP
    binding won't work (and isn't applicable) if your friend's TCP setup
    uses static IP addresses rather than getting them from a DHCP server
    (which is in the router for assigning intranet IP addresses and just
    passes on the DNS requests to your ISP's DNS server if your router uses
    DHCP for its WAN-side IP address although the router could point
    elsewhere, like OpenDNS to use their DNS servers for everyone using that
    router).

    Have you reset the router yet? I don't know what you have for security
    setup. Maybe your friend's MAC address isn't in an allowed range if you
    are using some security feature that blocks on non-allowed MAC
    addresses. If your friend's host can connect to the router's internal
    web server, the problem is not with networking setup on your friend's
    host but getting past your router.
    VanguardLH, Jan 28, 2009

  2. Occasionally malware can move files around in order to route all traffic via
    specific sites.

    Centre Parting, Jan 28, 2009

  3. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Smirnoff wrote:

> [...]

    >> my PC). When I connect my friends machine (via same Ethernet cable),
    >> it causes the hub to re-synch and it drops its download speed. So I
    >> think you're right regarding it being a router problem.
    >>
    >> Again however, the name of my friend's comp. is shown in the Hub as
    >> "connected". There is no option to Allow or Block. I have connected
    >> other PCs without a probem.
    >>
    >> Will check router settings for MAC address ranges but I would have
    >> thought that some type of warning/error would be reported by the Hub.
    >>
    >> Will post back in due course.
    >>

    > Well, went into BT Hub (1.5) firewall settings and created a custom rule
    > to allow friend's computer to access via ANY means.
    >
    > Still no joy.
    >
    > The Hub keeps resynchronising, don't know whether it's the result of
    > trying to get online with friend's comp or there is a problem with the

    So just HOW are you getting onto your router? Are you connecting to it
    using the network and using its internal web server to get at its
    configurmation? If so, can you get to the router using the problematic
    host?

    Also, don't expect disinfecting a slew of pests to leave the host in a
    clean state. Personally I don't waste more than 3 evenings to disinfect
    a host as that's the amount of time for me to install a fresh instance
    of the OS and apps, do the tweaks, and restore my data files.
    VanguardLH, Jan 29, 2009
  4. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Smirnoff wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >> Smirnoff wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Smirnoff" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well, went into BT Hub (1.5) firewall settings and created a custom
    >>> rule
    >>> to allow friend's computer to access via ANY means.
    >>>
    >>> Still no joy.
    >>>
    >>> The Hub keeps resynchronising, don't know whether it's the result of
    >>> trying to get online with friend's comp or there is a problem with
    >>> the
    >>> hub itself. Just what I need!

    >> So just HOW are you getting onto your router? Are you connecting to
    >> it
    >> using the network and using its internal web server to get at its
    >> configurmation? If so, can you get to the router using the
    >> problematic
    >> host?
    >>
    >> Also, don't expect disinfecting a slew of pests to leave the host in a
    >> clean state. Personally I don't waste more than 3 evenings to
    >> disinfect
    >> a host as that's the amount of time for me to install a fresh instance
    >> of the OS and apps, do the tweaks, and restore my data files.

    > Can connect and configure using my computer but cannot access from
    > friend's.
    >
    > He has no disks and there is not a recovery partition to use. Truth is,
    > it probably has all sorts of pirated crap on it. Oh well, thanks anyway.

    Have you yet tried booting into Windows' safe mode (with networking) and
    retest?
    VanguardLH, Jan 29, 2009