Re: Cannot access BIOS on HP Pavillion a1610n

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bruce, Mar 13, 2008.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Mar 13, 2008

  2. Bruce

    Ritter 197 Guest

    Hitting F1 or F@ or DEL or intermittently any of those does NOT get me to
    BIOS.

    Ritter 197, Mar 13, 2008

  3. Bruce

    Boscoe Guest

    "Ritter 197" <> wrote in message
    > Hitting F1 or F@ or DEL or intermittently any of those does NOT get me to
    > BIOS.

    The key/key combination is usually displayed on the screen for a few seconds
    after switch on. If you don't see this message consult your PC's operating
    instructions or motherboard manual.

    Boscoe, Mar 13, 2008
  4. Bruce

    Baron Guest

    Ritter 197 wrote:

    > Hitting F1 or F@ or DEL or intermittently any of those does NOT get me
    > to BIOS.
    >
    > "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bruce" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>> To access BIOS try tapping F2 and Delete alternately as it starts
    >>> up.It's usually one of those.
    >>>
    >>> Bruce
    >>>

    >>> "Ritter 197" <> wrote in message

    Try F10.
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 13, 2008
  5. "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Ritter 197 wrote:
    >
    >> Hitting F1 or F@ or DEL or intermittently any of those does NOT get me
    >> to BIOS.
    >>
    >> "Bruce" <> wrote in message

    > Try F10.
    > --

    It's F1 on that machine. He has to press and hold F1 immediately after Power
    ON.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 13, 2008
  6. Bruce

    Ritter 197 Guest

    I tried F1 as stated before. THAT does NOT get me into the BIOS which I want
    to set from AUTOMATIC to MANUAL.

    Ritter 197, Mar 13, 2008
  7. Does F1 do nothing, or just not what you want it to do?

    F1 gets me into my a1610n and a1620n.

    Maybe what I get is not what you are looking for.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 13, 2008
  8. Bruce

    Ritter 197 Guest

    I want to get to the BIOS and change it from Automatic to Manual.

    Ritter 197, Mar 13, 2008
  9. Bruce

    johnnyzero

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    solved (for me, anyway)...

    After much trial-and-error, I finally figured out the solution for this common issue with certain HP Pavillion models. It turns out to be a design flaw with the front-panel memory card reader. Somehow the card reader's firmware gets scrambled, and it prevents the computer from booting. You can test this on your machine by temporarily disconnecting the card reader cable at the motherboard header. Voila - I'll bet you $1 that your computer will now boot!

    The solution is buried deep inside this HP tech support document: h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqLiteDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07910#N575.

    The card reader firmware needs to be reset.

    Here\'s how to fix it once and for all:

    1) With the computer power unplugged (duh), open up the case & disconnect the card reader cable at the card reader itself - NOT the end that connects to the motherboard header. Make sure the cable end is not touching any metal components before proceeding to step 2 (another duh).

    2) With the cable still disconnected, fire up the computer. The tech support doc says to let it boot into Windows and stay there for about 5 minutes.

    3) Shut the computer down and reconnect the cable to the card reader.

    4) Turn your computer back on - your memory card reader will work and, most importantly, the computer will no longer hang at POST!

    I suspect that when you fire up the computer without the cable connected, the card reader is designed to reset its firmware by grounding out through the case - sort of like a CMOS Reset jumper on a motherboard.

    I hope this solution is helpful to others.

    best,
    JohnB

    johnnyzero, Mar 28, 2009