Re: Canned Air to clean lens heads?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Capt. Cave Man, Jan 2, 2010.

  1. On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 08:36:59 -0800, weary flake <>
    wrote:

    >Will it hurt anything to take some canned
    >air from radio shack and spray around the
    >open disc drive(s) to blow away possible dust?

    You have just as much chance of blowing dust ONTO your lens as off of
    it.

    The best way to perform such a routine maintenance servicing is to OPEN
    the case of the unit.

    Humans are so sad for their complacency and need to be lazy.

    The optical disc is non-contact, not the world we live in.

    If you have a player that has failed playing discs, you should try
    operating it upside down to see if the problem isn't really a lens
    positioner calibration issue.

    If it is the calibration of the primary lens that is the problem, it
    will begin to work upside down. Gravity is your enemy here as the lenses
    are suspended by a helical spring that slowly sags downward.

    Gravity slowly causes the suspension spring holding the head in place,
    to sag, and the electro-megnetic positioner can no longer place the lens
    at the focal point without a technical servicing that places the head
    back at the center point of the circuit's and the electromag positioner's
    operational limits.

    If it does begin to play, you can sometimes send it out to get
    re-calibrated. Some players hard code it with fixed resistors though.

    Also, if it is only a fucking $60 player, you and your time would be
    best served by simply going out and buying a new player. The upscaling
    players are dirt cheap, and quite modern.

    Also, if your player is so old that it is indeed out of cal, you should
    consider that you expectations need to change. Not everything lasts for
    decades any more.

    Capt. Cave Man, Jan 2, 2010

  2. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:03:21 -0600, Doug Jacobs <>
    wrote:

    >Capt. Cave Man <> wrote:
    >> The best way to perform such a routine maintenance servicing is to OPEN
    >> the case of the unit.

    >Which will violate the warranty on most units, unfortunately.
    >
    >> Also, if it is only a fucking $60 player, you and your time would be
    >> best served by simply going out and buying a new player. The upscaling
    >> players are dirt cheap, and quite modern.

    >Agreed, however it's rather sad that we live in such a disposable world.

    That is another issue. Do we pay more for each unit and demand that
    they are made with a modicum of reliability or serviceability, or do we
    make them more green, and more recyclable.

    I think that recycling works, but everyone wants to ignore what it
    costs to actually implement.

    I prefer to make a gear once, and use it as originally manufactured until
    it is no longer a viable gear. THEN recycle the broken gear back into
    the polymer process it came from.

    Capt. Cave Man, Jan 7, 2010