Re: Can you 'threaten legal action' in a email?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Desk Rabbit, Mar 11, 2009.

  1. Desk Rabbit

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    > A couple of days ago I had one of these bumbling buffoons send me a email
    > saying he was contemplating "taking legal action of his own" if he catches
    > me talking about him again on the internet. This was BRASS-Brain, of course.
    >
    > The boob was actioned by his ISP just last month for doing the same thing.
    > Well he didn't threaten "legal action" that time, just other "tortious"
    > emails he apparently can't resist from sending me.
    >
    > So his ISP immediately wrote me back saying they've "taken the appropriate
    > action" against BRASS-Brain. You know they never tell you what they do.
    >
    > My question is, if they sent me a email saying they've taken care of the
    > situation, what did they do and is just THREATENING A LAWSUIT against
    > someone in any email a strong enough violation to trigger some action, or no
    > action at all?

    To answer your question in the subject "Can you 'threaten legal action'
    in a email?" which appears to be different from what you ramble on about
    in the body.

    Yes you can threaten legal action in a email just as you can threaten
    legal action in a letter or a fax or virtually any other communication
    medium.

    To answer your ramblings in the body, his ISP won't tell you what they
    did because it is none of your business.

    And finally, if you really want legal advice, speak to a lawyer, usenet
    is not a good source of legal advice.
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 11, 2009

  2. WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:

    > I'm mot asking for LEGAL ADVICE u MORON. I'm just asking if what happens
    > if BRASS-Brain spews it in a email.

    Anyone "can" send any kind of (junk) email to you, if he/she knows (one of)
    your maintained email adress(es).
    What you do with that, is your business. Usually, annoying junk emails go to
    the trash. The 3rd one helps create a filter, 30 or more would make *me*
    take legal action against the sender (=complain to his ISP and moreso).
    Numbers are just that, adjust them to your (dis)liking.

    > Please shut up.

    Don't forget to take your pills.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 11, 2009

  3. Desk Rabbit

    chuckcar Guest

    "WeReo_ScoTTy" <> wrote in

    >> To answer your ramblings in the body, his ISP won't tell you what they
    >> did because it is none of your business.

    Or they don't want to tell you because they think you're a loon and they're
    not doing shit.

    >> And finally, if you really want legal advice, speak to a lawyer, usenet
    >> is not a good source of legal advice.

    > I'm mot asking for LEGAL ADVICE u MORON. I'm just asking if what happens
    > if BRASS-Brain spews it in a email.

    That *is* legal advice. Specifically, whether an email is a valid form of
    legal notification of an "action" to use your somewhat vague term.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 11, 2009
  4. Desk Rabbit

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    > "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    >> WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    >>> A couple of days ago I had one of these bumbling buffoons send me a email
    >>> saying he was contemplating "taking legal action of his own" if he
    >>> catches me talking about him again on the internet. This was BRASS-Brain,
    >>> of course.
    >>>
    >>> The boob was actioned by his ISP just last month for doing the same
    >>> thing. Well he didn't threaten "legal action" that time, just other
    >>> "tortious" emails he apparently can't resist from sending me.
    >>>
    >>> So his ISP immediately wrote me back saying they've "taken the
    >>> appropriate action" against BRASS-Brain. You know they never tell you
    >>> what they do.
    >>>
    >>> My question is, if they sent me a email saying they've taken care of the
    >>> situation, what did they do and is just THREATENING A LAWSUIT against
    >>> someone in any email a strong enough violation to trigger some action, or
    >>> no action at all?

    >> To answer your question in the subject "Can you 'threaten legal action' in
    >> a email?" which appears to be different from what you ramble on about in
    >> the body.
    >>
    >> Yes you can threaten legal action in a email just as you can threaten
    >> legal action in a letter or a fax or virtually any other communication
    >> medium.
    >>
    >> To answer your ramblings in the body, his ISP won't tell you what they did
    >> because it is none of your business.
    >>
    >> And finally, if you really want legal advice, speak to a lawyer, usenet is
    >> not a good source of legal advice.

    > I'm mot asking for LEGAL ADVICE u MORON.

    Yes you are you idiot, you're asking what happens/what if someone
    threatens legal action.

    > I'm just asking if what happens if
    > BRASS-Brain spews it in a email.

    Different question.
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 12, 2009
  5. Desk Rabbit

    Keyser Söze Guest

    > WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
    >> "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message

    >>> To answer your question in the subject "Can you 'threaten legal
    >>> action' in a email?" which appears to be different from what you
    >>> ramble on about in the body.
    >>>
    >>> Yes you can threaten legal action in a email just as you can
    >>> threaten legal action in a letter or a fax or virtually any other
    >>> communication medium.
    >>>
    >>> To answer your ramblings in the body, his ISP won't tell you what
    >>> they did because it is none of your business.
    >>>
    >>> And finally, if you really want legal advice, speak to a lawyer,
    >>> usenet is not a good source of legal advice.

    >> I'm mot asking for LEGAL ADVICE u MORON.

    > Yes you are you idiot, you're asking what happens/what if someone
    > threatens legal action.
    >
    >> I'm just asking if what happens if
    >> BRASS-Brain spews it in a email.

    > Different question.

    You don't suppose that idiot is actually RtS, do you? That, or prevarication
    seems to be the mainstay of Usenet contradiction.

    --
    Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to
    an understanding of ourselves. Jung

    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Mar 12, 2009
  6. Keyser Sí¶¦í³€ wrote:

    > You don't suppose that idiot is actually RtS, do you?

    No, WeiRdeo_ScoTTy is a completely different personality. ;-)
    Comparing posting headers is not required, either.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 12, 2009
  7. Desk Rabbit

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote in message

    > Keyser S?????? wrote:
    >
    >> You don't suppose that idiot is actually RtS, do you?

    > No, WeiRdeo_ScoTTy is a completely different personality. ;-)

    Roger that! :)

    > Comparing posting headers is not required, either.

    Synapse Syndrome aka ss had not dissimilar traits, but that was another time
    warp.

    Keyser Söze, Mar 12, 2009