Re: Can you see this Flash site?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by D-Mac, Feb 3, 2009.

  1. D-Mac

    D-Mac Guest

    Focus wrote:

    > A few people complained that they couldn't see my site or nothing
    > happened. It's a 3D castle with some pictures in it. Can you tell me
    > what happens and what web program you use? Thanks:
    >
    > http://atlantic-diesel.com/Station/

    Not without shockwave and I ain't installing it!

    --
    Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
    http://www.D-mac.info
    D-Mac, Feb 3, 2009

  2. D-Mac

    D-Mac Guest

    wrote:

    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:15:04 +0000 (UTC), "D-Mac"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Focus wrote:
    > >
    > >> A few people complained that they couldn't see my site or nothing
    > >> happened. It's a 3D castle with some pictures in it. Can you tell

    > me >> what happens and what web program you use? Thanks:
    > >>
    > >> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Station/

    > > Not without shockwave and I ain't installing it!

    > What is the difference between the Adobe Flash player and the
    > Adobe Shockwave Flash player?

    I have no idea but I know Shockwave is forbidden on the networks the
    service company I use, maintains. If it's good enough for my system
    admin to advise me not to let it be installed, then it won't be.

    Why have a dog and do all the barking yourself? I pay them to make sure
    my network runs efficiently and is secure, not to give me an in-depth
    discussion on the stuff they don't like to see on a network.

    I think it is in the way shockwave can be used to transmit data. (phone
    home). but I'm not sure and not interested in finding out. If you want
    to display movies, there are other ways to do it.

    --
    Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
    http://www.D-mac.info
    4/02/2009 6:18:17 AM
    D-Mac, Feb 3, 2009

  3. D-Mac

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 20:27:19 -0000, "Focus" <> wrote:

    >"D-Mac" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:

    >>> me >> what happens and what web program you use? Thanks:

    >>> What is the difference between the Adobe Flash player and the
    >>> Adobe Shockwave Flash player?

    >> I have no idea but I know Shockwave is forbidden on the networks the
    >> service company I use, maintains. If it's good enough for my system
    >> admin to advise me not to let it be installed, then it won't be.
    >>
    >> Why have a dog and do all the barking yourself? I pay them to make sure
    >> my network runs efficiently and is secure, not to give me an in-depth
    >> discussion on the stuff they don't like to see on a network.
    >>
    >> I think it is in the way shockwave can be used to transmit data. (phone
    >> home). but I'm not sure and not interested in finding out. If you want
    >> to display movies, there are other ways to do it.

    >Movie? What movie?
    >It's a 3D castle where you can walk around. Well, anybody but you ;-)

    I dunno if it's a movie or not, but it moves like a movie unless you
    press the space bar.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Feb 3, 2009
  4. D-Mac

    Paul Furman Guest

    Focus wrote:
    > "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 20:27:19 -0000, "Focus" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "D-Mac" <> wrote in message

    >>> Movie? What movie?
    >>> It's a 3D castle where you can walk around. Well, anybody but you ;-)

    >> I dunno if it's a movie or not, but it moves like a movie unless you
    >> press the space bar.

    > It's called the demo mode ;-)

    Spacebar doesn't do anything.
    Shockwave tried to install a free Norton antivirus thing too... bleh!
    Paul Furman, Feb 3, 2009
  5. D-Mac

    Noons Guest

    Troy Piggins wrote,on my timestamp of 4/02/2009 10:36 AM:
    > * wrote :
    >> * D-Mac wrote:

    >>> Not without shockwave and I ain't installing it!

    >> What is the difference between the Adobe Flash player and the
    >> Adobe Shockwave Flash player?

    > Shockwave is slower and more complex, used for online games etc.
    > See how the link above looks like 3D game graphics?
    >
    > Flash is faster to load and simpler, more for 2D type stuff.
    >
    > And both of them are horribly slow and bloated for loading and
    > viewing web galleries. The example posted above might be mildly
    > clever in concept, but the novelty wears off because it takes so
    > long to load, and in the end the thumbnails are too small and
    > slow to get to for any real appreciation. Kudos for the original
    > idea, though.

    You know what really gets me?
    All these IT expert folks who run heaps of AV stuff in their computers,
    supposedly in an informed manner, so that their systems are free from malware,
    and who promptly click on a link that installs unknown plugins on a site never
    seen before, AND they merrily do it!

    Like HECK, I'll ever click a link from an unknown site saying: "click here to
    install <whatever>"!
    Sure, it's gonna happen.
    Dream on...
    Noons, Feb 4, 2009
  6. D-Mac

    Mr.T Guest

    "Troy Piggins" <> wrote in message
    > That's a gamble I'm not willing to take, and that's why you
    > should only install software from a trusted source.

    I agree, and since I don't trust Adobe shockwave, I don't bother installing
    it! :)

    Here's a tip, if you want everyone to be able to view your site, you simply
    offer a non flash alternative. Why so many web designers find that too
    difficult is beyond me. They obviously have no idea some people are still on
    dial-up either, or don't care for their business!

    MrT.
    Mr.T, Feb 5, 2009
  7. D-Mac

    Noons Guest

    Troy Piggins wrote,on my timestamp of 5/02/2009 7:26 AM:

    > It's when you don't have the plugin installed, and go to a site
    > that requires it and you get the message on that site to click to
    > install the plugin. Then you're potentially downloading an
    > executable from an untrusted/unknown source and if the site is
    > malicious, the plugin download could contain malware. Most
    > probably not, but some could.

    Not saying that is the case here but yes, that is precisely
    the problem.

    Here is this site from God-only-knows-who, with a nice little button that will
    install the software one needs to read it.

    Right... Here, kitty-kitty-kitty...

    > But viewing the actual flash or shockwave application is pretty
    > safe. Well, I've never had a problem.

    A few million owners of malware-infected PCs said precisely that...

    > But I'm tough. How tough? Troy's so tough, he doesn't get
    > viruses. Viruses get Troy. :)

    Aye...
    Noons, Feb 5, 2009