Re: Can you offer an explanation of meaning please?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, Oct 21, 2009.

  1. Guest

    ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    >~BD~ wrote:
    >> Peter Foldes wrote:
    >>
    >> > Back trace with given IP returns me to you

    >> Thanks.

    >So can no-one give me my numerical IP address from the headers of my
    >posts here?

    No, but I got a few.

    I didn't keep dates but these are old

    you used to post from AOL

    I've got
    92.23.150.241
    Location: United Kingdom [City: Exeter, England]

    which belongs to ripe net
    Irlam, Manchester - United Kingdom

    For awhile you were posting from the San Diego State University.

    another address
    84.68.108.156
    user-54446c9c.lns4-c10.dsl.pol.co.uk <- you
    Derby, England
    [United Kingdom]

    and you used to post from a proxy (2006)
    https://support.cw.com/

    so you probably still use a proxy, tho a reply above claims you don't.

    Mike Easter would of done a much better job. I was just messing
    around, I installed Net Tools and was testing it out.

    --

    CSI: Modern computer technology at its best
    http://i.imgur.com/WyoOL.jpg

  2. Guest

    ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    >I appreciate your post, but do *not* totally understand what you have
    >said! In line answers:-

    It was only good if Andrew Taylor was correct in that you were the
    BoaterDave he was referring to.

    --

    Thank god
    http://i.imgur.com/NiYcd.png

  3. Guest

    ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    >I appreciate your post, but do *not* totally understand what you have
    >said! In line answers:-
    >
    > wrote:
    >> ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    >>> So can no-one give me my numerical IP address from the headers of my
    >>> posts here?

    >> No, but I got a few.

    I thought you just top posted, and just answered that. Didn't notice
    the rest.

    >> For awhile you were posting from the San Diego State University.

    >How could that be possible? I've not been out of the UK for years!
    >(and have *never* been to San Diego!)

    >> and you used to post from a proxy (2006)
    >> https://support.cw.com/

    >That site refers to Cable & Wireless. I have no connection AFAIK with
    >that company and have never set up any sort of proxy.

    >> so you probably still use a proxy, tho a reply above claims you don't.

    >I certainly do not do so deliberately! I've never done it!

    A proxy's no big deal, both www.sdsu.edu and www.cw.com were where
    your messages were being sent from at one time. cc.com, I gave the TOS
    a quick glance, and it appeared to be a proxy.

    And you have used a proxy, it's how I knew you had an AOL account.

    > I suffered an identity theft
    >and had £245 taken from my account by PayPal for a fraudulent
    >transaction in 2005.

    I do find that strange, as if I remember right, your posting habits
    changed around 2007.

    Don't take this wrong, I was just killing time and ment no malice, you
    asked if your IP address was viewable. While it wasn't; I just grabbed
    random messages from different years and read the headers.

    Me, I've used the newsgroups before www became popular, in fact I
    remember coming across the first www browser available for download,
    but just thought it was a fancy terminal program, and passed on it.

    I started when the internet was a different place, the rules were
    simple, you used your last name, first name initial as your handle,
    and nobody spammed (there was a couple in Texas that got DOS'd off the
    internet as they advertised their law firm).

    Also my signature included my (real) e-mail address and a finger file
    which had all my private info. So if you had a need to finger me, you
    would know how to get a hold of me. People wanted others to be able to
    contact them if they need to. - the internet was an educational tool.

    Finger files went the way of shell accounts that allowed running the
    server Unix commands.

    While most of those messages weren't archived (too old), I'm very
    traceable, one reason I don't mind mentioning where I live.

    --

    You've got three month to grab what you need.
    http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-ordered-to-delete-torrents-091022/
  4. ~BD~ Guest

    wrote:

    > A proxy's no big deal, both www.sdsu.edu and www.cw.com were where
    > your messages were being sent from at one time. cc.com, I gave the TOS
    > a quick glance, and it appeared to be a proxy.
    >
    > And you have used a proxy, it's how I knew you had an AOL account.

    This makes little sense to me - but I am very interested in what you
    say. Do you have any idea how such things could have happened?

    >> I suffered an identity theft
    >> and had £245 taken from my account by PayPal for a fraudulent
    >> transaction in 2005.

    > I do find that strange, as if I remember right, your posting habits
    > changed around 2007.

    In what way? Have you got the date right?

    > Don't take this wrong, I was just killing time and ment no malice, you
    > asked if your IP address was viewable. While it wasn't; I just grabbed
    > random messages from different years and read the headers.
    >
    > Me, I've used the newsgroups before www became popular, in fact I
    > remember coming across the first www browser available for download,
    > but just thought it was a fancy terminal program, and passed on it.
    >
    > I started when the internet was a different place, the rules were
    > simple, you used your last name, first name initial as your handle,
    > and nobody spammed (there was a couple in Texas that got DOS'd off the
    > internet as they advertised their law firm).
    >
    > Also my signature included my (real) e-mail address and a finger file
    > which had all my private info. So if you had a need to finger me, you
    > would know how to get a hold of me. People wanted others to be able to
    > contact them if they need to. - the internet was an educational tool.
    >
    > Finger files went the way of shell accounts that allowed running the
    > server Unix commands.
    >
    > While most of those messages weren't archived (too old), I'm very
    > traceable, one reason I don't mind mentioning where I live.

    I have appreciated your comments. I asked Mike Easter to take things up
    with me in email but he refused, so here we are 'out-in-the-open' - it
    doesn't really matter to me, it just gives any 'bad guys' a head start
    (as always!)

    Where *do* you live, btw? I'm near Exeter in Devon, UK.

    --
    Dave
    ~BD~, Oct 23, 2009
  5. Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-10-23, <> wrote:
    > ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    [...]

    > Don't take this wrong, I was just killing time and ment no malice, you
    > asked if your IP address was viewable. While it wasn't; I just grabbed
    > random messages from different years and read the headers.

    [...]

    .... and then used a whois tool to look up the 'owner' of those IP numbers?
    That would only give you the 'owner' at the moment you looked; but IP
    numbers can and do change hands - across the planet, potentially, they are
    after all only numbers. So at some point in time, BD may have been
    allocated an IP number by AOL, and at some other time that IP number came
    into the hands of someone with an address in San Diego and you looked it
    up at that moment. Likewise, BT and Cable and Wireless in the UK may well
    have transferred some of their IP numbers from one to the other. Nothing
    to do with BD and nothing he could do or know about it.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 23, 2009
  6. Guest

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18214124-Should-I-be-concerned

    >>> I suffered an identity theft
    >>> and had £245 taken from my account by PayPal for a fraudulent
    >>> transaction in 2005.

    >> I do find that strange, as if I remember right, your posting habits
    >> changed around 2007.

    >In what way? Have you got the date right?

    I forget, they just changed, I think after that date or around there
    your IP address's stopped showing up.

    >>While most of those messages weren't archived (too old), I'm very
    >>traceable, one reason I don't mind mentioning where I live.

    >Where *do* you live, btw? I'm near Exeter in Devon, UK.

    Tri-Cities, Washington, and there are at three others who share my
    name, last I looked in the phone book :)

    There are two occupations here or were, it's really diverse now. They
    were Farming or working for the Government.

    This area doesn't have a job market problem, my son is a carpenter and
    houses are still being built. because of the area in the shown in the
    KMZ mentioned below

    If you have google earth installed I posted a .KMZ to
    alt.comp.google

    It's where I used to work. I live at the bottom right - I added a
    description if you view the properties.

    A KMZ is a zip file, which becomes an kml file, I tried to post it
    here as a ROT13 (no html) but it didn't work in the test area.

    Sooo I was stuck with posting it to a group I had to hope you
    received. That and
    alt.bainaries.pictures.erotica.bestiality.hamster.duct-tape
    wouldn't take my message.

    --

    You've got three months to grab what you need.
    http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-ordered-to-delete-torrents-091022/
    And
    http://gizmodo.com/5387909/hulus-glorious-free-days-are-officially-numbered
    , Oct 24, 2009
  7. Guest

    ~BD~ <BoaterDave'remove'@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    Weekends over...

    >> This area doesn't have a job market problem, my son is a carpenter and
    >> houses are still being built. because of the area in the shown in the
    >> KMZ mentioned below

    >It's good to hear that unemployment isn't a problem there. I post on a
    >group called 'alt.politics.scorched-earth' - most folk are from the USA
    >and many say things are pretty bad there.

    Here, as in the U.S, then yes. Close to where I live, I see it as what
    comes in (price increases). Meaning I have a dollar store close by
    that sold anything I needed for a buck, cheap quality but it did the
    job.

    Now it's rare to find much for just a dollar, they do sale 24oz.
    bottles of Pepsi's for 75¢ each $4.50 a six pack. (up from 50¢ before
    the economy broke).

    The place is huge, among other things, it's lack of them carrying
    Reese's butter cups and other decent candies, I've lost 20 pounds :)

    But there is good money to be made here with little skills,
    decontamination is just cleaning while covered head to toe mostly in
    cloth - yet Plastics and a mask are used and just a B!#¢h in the
    summer, depends upon the moisture.

    Glassifacation is what they are doing now. which is taking what's
    crapped up (our nomenclature for something radioactive) and turning it
    into glass. Send it to China and they make tea cups, plates, beer
    mugs.... :) (J/K)

    The KMZ picture is old as the buildings still stand.

    ==========
    The KMZ file is now posted to a disney newsgroup, figure all would
    carry something that had the name disney in the name.

    Newsgroups: alt.binaries.disney.multimedia
    Subject: Destination - N-reactor.kmz (0/1)

    >> It's where I used to work. I live at the bottom right - I added a
    >> description if you view the properties.

    >I'm afraid you have lost me with this. I don't even know how to find the
    >Message you have ID'd - although I did find a single post by you on
    >'alt.comp.google' - but the text said, simply, "Ditto".

    You double click on a message-id and hope for the best, sometimes it
    will take you right to the message, no matter what group it's in.

    I don't upload much anymore, I used to post to alt.cracks and such
    years ago (don't go there anymore, it's all malware).

    So Agent is set up to send two messages for a file, one being a text
    message (an .NFO file, or how to) the second the file itself.

    "Ditto" just ment: The subject header - and I did forget it sent two
    files.

    I wasn't sure about the google group I posted to, very little was
    posted there and no Binaries. I take it, it's moderated and the second
    file was deleted.

    >> Sooo I was stuck with posting it to a group I had to hope you
    >> received. That and
    >> alt.bainaries.pictures.erotica.bestiality.hamster.duct-tape
    >> wouldn't take my message.

    >I thought you were pulling my leg/taking the piss - I couldn't believe
    >that anyone would name a group in that manner. But what do you know, my
    >ISP (BT) lists it! (well 2, in fact!) Crazy world in which we live!

    While it's rarely, if ever mentioned, The person who was teaching me
    how to use the usenet, typed it in for a laugh, and I have followed it
    every since. Each new IP I look for it. First time I saw the group it
    was closer to:
    alt.bainaries.pictures.erotica.bondage.bestiality.hamster.duct-tape
    news.Individual.net doesn't carry it, and shouldn't.

    It's a usenet staple, the group is always listed.

    It will be deleted, but will always show up somewhere else. Most of
    the time with a different hierarchy (.path.path.path), but very close
    to the original listing.

    You found two, I found the one (or the first search hit) which is
    pretty much the same as what I came across the first time.

    Every now and again I'll look to see if any post are there, it's
    always spam and very little of it, and I couldn't post to it - not
    sure if that's odd or not, as it's the first time I've tried to.

    Know why you wrap hamsters in duct tape?
    It keeps them from exploding. :)))

    --

    You've got three months to grab what you need.
    http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-ordered-to-delete-torrents-091022/
    And
    http://gizmodo.com/5387909/hulus-glorious-free-days-are-officially-numbered
    , Oct 27, 2009