Re: Can I Use WS-X4648-RJ45V+E Blade in 4006 Chassis?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Doug McIntyre, Nov 24, 2009.

  1. "Mark C" <> writes:
    >We are still using several old 4006 chassis in our closets. They work fine,
    >have redundant power, and we have a few spare WS-X4148-RJ switch blades just
    >in case we lose one somewhere -- so there's been no real motivation to
    >upgrade.

    >Until now. One department wants VoIP. So we are looking into PoE switches.
    >The old 4006 "supports" PoE, but I think I'd have to buy the modules off
    >e-bay or something like that, which I'm reluctant to do.

    >So I'm wondering if it's somehow possible to use an x4648 PoE blade in the
    >4006 chassis. I'm guessing this won't work, but I can't tell from looking
    >at the specs if the power on the 4648 is actually on the blade itself, or if
    >it still resides on the chassis, say a 4506.

    >In short, I'm just looking to see if there is some way to use a single PoE
    >switch blade in my 4006 chassis, which does NOT currently have the auxiliary
    >power shelf or the power entry module.

    I can't answer your exact question, but running the older X4148-RJ45V
    blades in a 4500 chassis will not light up the PoE capabilities of the
    ports unless I have the proper power supply modules in the chassis
    that supported supplying DC power to PoE modules. Not all power
    supplies support PoE in the 4500 either. The ethernet portion of the
    port works fine, but once it starts to receive a PoE request, it'll
    refuse to do it because it doesn't have the power capacity, and that
    will be logged.

    I'd generalize the same would be true on the 4006 without the auxilary
    power shelf add-on option.
    Doug McIntyre, Nov 24, 2009

  2. Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > "Mark C" <> writes:
    >> We are still using several old 4006 chassis in our closets. They work fine,
    >> have redundant power, and we have a few spare WS-X4148-RJ switch blades just
    >> in case we lose one somewhere -- so there's been no real motivation to
    >> upgrade.

    >> Until now. One department wants VoIP. So we are looking into PoE switches.
    >> The old 4006 "supports" PoE, but I think I'd have to buy the modules off
    >> e-bay or something like that, which I'm reluctant to do.

    >> So I'm wondering if it's somehow possible to use an x4648 PoE blade in the
    >> 4006 chassis. I'm guessing this won't work, but I can't tell from looking
    >> at the specs if the power on the 4648 is actually on the blade itself, or if
    >> it still resides on the chassis, say a 4506.

    >> In short, I'm just looking to see if there is some way to use a single PoE
    >> switch blade in my 4006 chassis, which does NOT currently have the auxiliary
    >> power shelf or the power entry module.

    > I can't answer your exact question, but running the older X4148-RJ45V
    > blades in a 4500 chassis will not light up the PoE capabilities of the
    > ports unless I have the proper power supply modules in the chassis
    > that supported supplying DC power to PoE modules. Not all power
    > supplies support PoE in the 4500 either. The ethernet portion of the
    > port works fine, but once it starts to receive a PoE request, it'll
    > refuse to do it because it doesn't have the power capacity, and that
    > will be logged.
    >
    > I'd generalize the same would be true on the 4006 without the auxilary
    > power shelf add-on option.

    It's even easier than that - this line card requires -E chassis and -E
    supervisor. 4503-E, 4506-E, 4507R-E and 4510R-E with either Sup6-E or
    Sup6L-E.

    Since money seems to be a problem, standalone PoE switch might be a
    better solution. Something along the lines of Catalyst Express line...

    Regards,
    Andrey.
    Andrey Tarasov, Nov 25, 2009

  3. On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:24:46 -0800, Andrey Tarasov <>
    wrote:

    >Since money seems to be a problem, standalone PoE switch might be a
    >better solution. Something along the lines of Catalyst Express line...

    If you don't need extra ethernet ports, there are multiport midline PoE
    injectors which will simply add PoE capabilities to existing ports.

    Check power requirements carefully.

    Jasper
    Jasper Janssen, Nov 27, 2009